Shovel Knight

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
SpareChange

Zeta Metroid

Shovel Knight

Postby SpareChange » 07.20.14 11:34am

I am kind of surprised no one here has talked about this game for Wii U from the eShop.

Have any of you played it? It is a fun and great game! Side scrolling with elements from Zelda 2, Megaman, Castlevania and Mario Bros 3.

There are tons of cheat codes that work al la Game Genie, i.e. big sprite mode, moon jump mode and Butt mode, where common words are changed to the word "butt".

It is a great platformer and I think anyone here would enjoy this gem. 14.99 on the eShop.
Wii U S/N: SpareChnge

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Re: Shovel Knight

Postby Emperor Ing » 08.01.14 8:58am

It's a fun game. You get your money's worth, I'd say. My older brother loves the game, and I enjoy how well-crafted it is, compared to other indie platformers trying to cash in on the so-retro-wow fad. This one is legit, in my opinion.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 08.01.14 5:17pm

I forgot we had this thread...

Yes, the game's fantastic. I've beaten it several times and have even earned all of the achievements, something I very rarely care to do. Growing up as a NES kid nearly everything about the game was a kick right in the nostalgia in the best possible way.
Emperor Ing is indeed right; there are far to many indie developers trying - and failing - to imitate various retro styles and mechanics whereas with Shovel Knight Yacht Club Games successfully emulates many of the best facets of the most notable classics of the NES era. You could easy make the argument that not much, if at all anything, about the game really stands on its own as new or unique, but it's hard to damn even an amalgamated product where everything fits together and plays so well.

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 10.05.14 11:48pm

This is an incredible game and I love replaying it; I've had more fun with it than many "big budget" games, and it's got tons of replay value with the various challenges and newgame+. Really creative level design that does a good job of teaching the player how to overcome challenges without annoying tutorials. Also some wonderful characters; all of them are visually pleasing and most are hilarious.

I was not playing games back in the NES or SNES eras, but I still find the game's pixel art pleasant to look at and the chip tunes are memorable. It's especially neat how the boss tunes are faster-paced versions of the normal level tunes, keeping the general motif but with a new twist. My personal favorite is High Above the Land, the track for Propeller Knight's stage, though there are plenty that come close.
Suckers.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 08.11.15 3:55am

Physical copy of Shovel Knight? Don't mind if I do!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/06/shove ... -near-you/

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 08.11.15 12:31pm

I haven't played Shovel Knight. It looks cool, kind of like a medieval Megaman.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 08.11.15 4:20pm

I haven't played Shovel Knight. It looks cool, kind of like a medieval Megaman.
Xandalf,

You and my son are about the same age and I can tell you that Shovel Knight was the game that got him interested in Mega Man. He's since emulated the NES MM titles on his Ouya and LOVES them, warts and all. Shovel Knight plays like a love letter to the 8 bit/ 16 bit era of platformers, without feeling overly derivative or clichéd.

So $20 for a physical copy of the original game, plus two more campaigns, battle mode, character customization mode and an honest to goodness manual (that part really, really matters to me, actually) feels like a steal. If you're at all into old school platformers/adventure games, i.e. Castlevania, Ghosts and Goblins, Mega Man (obviously), you really can't go wrong with Shovel Knight.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 08.11.15 8:21pm

I love old school games! And I have played Castlevania, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, and Megaman (And enjoyed them of course). I'll check it out when I get the chance. ;)

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 08.11.15 9:51pm

Physical copy of Shovel Knight? Don't mind if I do!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/06/shove ... -near-you/
Popular enough to get a physical release? Impressive.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 08.11.15 10:04pm

I love old school games! And I have played Castlevania, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, and Megaman (And enjoyed them of course). I'll check it out when I get the chance. ;)
Xandalf, Your old school cred is impressive! Another game really worth checking out if you have a WiiU is Duck Tales Remastered. The original on the NES was great; this might be better. The game also retailed for $20 new but I haven't checked prices since.

Dartison

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dartison » 09.03.15 6:19pm

Shovel Knight was great in pretty much every aspect.

Looking forward to the Plague of Shadows content update.

Also the music for this game is bitchin'.

Dartison

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dartison » 09.23.15 12:54pm

So last night I finished Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows which was fun and relatively challenging at certain points.

Plague Knight plays much different to that of Shovel Knight and his platforming is fun but can also be risky.

Music was good as always, and the story was average but I really liked it and seeing things from Plague Knight's perspective.

Shovel Knight is probably the only game that urges me to email the developers and tell them how much I liked it. Last night I finished it and emailed them. I asked them one question in particular.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 09.23.15 4:00pm

Awesome on several different levels! Glad to hear that Plague Knight's campaign sounds equal parts fun and challenging. Even more awesome that Yacht Club is drawing inspiration from our favorite space heroine! :cool: I'm waiting for the physical copies to get here to play through the games. What I've played already has been terrific and if the popularity of the game has warranted a physical release, rest assured that they're not done with the series yet.

Dartison

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dartison » 09.23.15 4:24pm

You play through the same levels but the style in which you platform is obviously different which is what makes Plague Knight feel new and challenging. He does have scenes and his own story of course.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 09.23.15 5:14pm

I've been playing it lately, and it's brilliant. Here's one of my finest moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqZTBkF9bfA
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion