Shovel Knight

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Zevroid

Metroid

Re: Shovel Knight

Postby Zevroid » 09.23.15 8:12pm

I've been playing it lately, and it's brilliant. Here's one of my finest moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqZTBkF9bfA
That was pretty good. Why didn't I think of that?

One of my best moments was the fight with Polar Knight. I just sort of panicked when he started breaking the ice and used the smoke bomb repeatedly. Before I knew it I won the fight on the first try! Propeller Knight was a pain, though. I can't even count the number of times I died and how much gold I lost because it ended up underneath the platform.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 09.23.15 11:36pm

I've been playing it lately, and it's brilliant. Here's one of my finest moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqZTBkF9bfA
:thumbsup: Luminoth Prime's got Survival skills! My son's WiiU automatically downloaded the new campaign. Don't think I can hold out until next month to play.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.24.15 12:42am

Plague of Shadows has been fantastic. I love the twist on gameplay, how Plague Knight has his own unique level segments, his interactions with the township, and particularly his adorable relationship with his apathetic assistant Mona. He takes some getting used to, but once mastered you can actually fly through stages at breakneck speed. Is this is any indication of Yacht Club's dedication and talent then I'm already greatly anticipating the remaining DLC characters. Specter, King, and Shield Knight can't come soon enough.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 09.24.15 2:15am

:thumbsup: Luminoth Prime's got Survival skills! My son's WiiU automatically downloaded the new campaign. Don't think I can hold out until next month to play.
Wouldn't say skills, just luck. Like the text in the video kinda says, I panicked and started mashing buttons. Ended up using my arcana (the leech thing or whatever) which made me freeze in the air, and it allowed me to do a double jump to safety. Otherwise, I'm not terribly good at this game. There's no way I'm getting the achievements for beating it without any checkpoints and whatnot.
Plague of Shadows has been fantastic. I love the twist on gameplay, how Plague Knight has his own unique level segments, his interactions with the township, and particularly his adorable relationship with his apathetic assistant Mona. He takes some getting used to, but once mastered you can actually fly through stages at breakneck speed. Is this is any indication of Yacht Club's dedication and talent then I'm already greatly anticipating the remaining DLC characters. Specter, King, and Shield Knight can't come soon enough.
I'm actually surprised that the Plague Knight DLC took so long. I bought this game back when it came out for X1 in April (almost a year after its initial release) and didn't beat it until last month (I'd play a few levels and then not play it for weeks/months). Once I beat it, I immediately assumed that the post-game stuff was already done and added, so I looked around trying to find it, until I went online and saw that it was still in the works. Seeing the amount of depth and care that went into all of this, though, I can see why it took as long as it did, and it was well worth the wait.

...hang on, I still don't remember ever encountering the Battletoads. Gonna need to research that...

Anyways, I just sat down and played it a bit more, and while the Plague Knight gameplay is really fun and unique, it's not flawless. Looking at it now, the blast jumping is a little clumsy. Needing to press+hold the attack button to first throw a bomb and then charge the jump doesn't feel great. It's especially awkward when doing it in one of your domains where your minions are walking around, and you just want to jump up to a ledge, and end up throwing a bomb to do a blast jump and hitting one of your guys unintentionally. Minor gripe, but I still feel like it could've been handled a bit better.

Also, changing your bomb setup, while an awesome idea, is a huge pain to execute. Because of the weird button mapping, if you select the wrong category to change, you can't just back out with the B button or whatever. You either have to select something or press the Start/Select button to close the menu out altogether. Of course, you can just select the same thing you have selected, but in a heated situation, it's not the first thing that comes to mind. The natural reflex is to press the B button to back out and go to another menu, but it doesn't let you do that. So then you end up pressing Start or Select, which takes you out of the menu entirely and puts you back in the action unprepared. You go into the menu again, and either screw up again or do it right. This has gotten me killed once or twice.

It would really help if they used more than just two buttons. I know they're tying to emulate the classic NES style with fidelity, but there's a reason we started using controllers with more than just two buttons. The Zelda CD-I games are a prime example of how using only two buttons can cause major problems. This isn't that bad, but it's not great.

I'm still loving this to death. The way they weave this story in with the original game is so incredibly genius that it's probably the best story ever told in this behind-the-scenes style I've ever seen.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zevroid

Metroid

Postby Zevroid » 09.24.15 2:47pm

Anyways, I just sat down and played it a bit more, and while the Plague Knight gameplay is really fun and unique, it's not flawless. Looking at it now, the blast jumping is a little clumsy. Needing to press+hold the attack button to first throw a bomb and then charge the jump doesn't feel great. It's especially awkward when doing it in one of your domains where your minions are walking around, and you just want to jump up to a ledge, and end up throwing a bomb to do a blast jump and hitting one of your guys unintentionally. Minor gripe, but I still feel like it could've been handled a bit better.

Also, changing your bomb setup, while an awesome idea, is a huge pain to execute. Because of the weird button mapping, if you select the wrong category to change, you can't just back out with the B button or whatever. You either have to select something or press the Start/Select button to close the menu out altogether. Of course, you can just select the same thing you have selected, but in a heated situation, it's not the first thing that comes to mind. The natural reflex is to press the B button to back out and go to another menu, but it doesn't let you do that. So then you end up pressing Start or Select, which takes you out of the menu entirely and puts you back in the action unprepared. You go into the menu again, and either screw up again or do it right. This has gotten me killed once or twice.

It would really help if they used more than just two buttons. I know they're tying to emulate the classic NES style with fidelity, but there's a reason we started using controllers with more than just two buttons. The Zelda CD-I games are a prime example of how using only two buttons can cause major problems. This isn't that bad, but it's not great.

I'm still loving this to death. The way they weave this story in with the original game is so incredibly genius that it's probably the best story ever told in this behind-the-scenes style I've ever seen.
Huh, I had no problem with the bomb jumping, personally. Though I'm playing the PC/Steam version, with a keyboard, so maybe playing with a controller is different...Either way, I got used to it pretty quick. Just about every screw up with it was my own fault. But I agree with you about changing the bomb setup. A bit clunky for something that feels like it should be strung together into combos.

I haven't really found much use for some of the different fuses, either. Sentry Fuse doesn't really accomplish much (especially if you walk near it) and I never really used the Remote Fuse. All the casings and powders got some use, though.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.24.15 7:18pm

Blast jumping should've been mapped to its own button, especially since it's not effected by what bomb setup the player is using. With how critical it is to Plague Knight's mobility and gameplay it would be like locking the dash ability in the Mega Man X/Zero/ZX series to the fire button. Some of the blast charges have combat utility, but the move overall is about mobility. It would fit perfectly on a shoulder button.

Switching bomb components may provide some much needed gameplay variety, but yes, the interface is unnecessarily tedious. It'd be nice if the player could hotkey certain combinations, switching between them on the fly much the same way one can switch between arcana.

As for my own preferences:

• Bounce and Lob casings for when I need distance and angle. My former standard.
  • Orbit Casing for crowds.
  • Whirl Casing for straightforward attack. My present standard.
  • I haven't found much use for the Float or Drop casings.
  • Black Powder for when I need to spam bombs. Former standard.
  • Combination Powder for power, multi-hit, and most crowds. Present standard.
  • Cluster Powder for tighter crowds and most bosses. Provides a much better multi-hit attribute against slower moving and stationary targets. Careful use can knock multiple HP off a boss in a single attack. Not so good for general use, though.
  • Haven't found much use for Tracer, Cascade, or Sparkler Powder.
  • Long Fuse for distance. Good general purpose use. Former Standard.
  • Remote Fuse for control. Mixed with Cluster Powder is great for grounded boss fights, provided you're familiar with their attack pattern. Not quite so good generally.
  • Impact Fuse for bomb spam. Present Standard. Great with Black Powder for rapid fire. Also good with Combination Powder to better use the combination effect. With Cluster Powder is great against faster bosses, allowing you to recover quicker.
  • Standard and Quick Fuses are generally useless after acquiring Long Fuse. Sentry Fuse isn't nearly effective enough to be worthwhile.

Dartison

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dartison » 09.24.15 9:46pm

Its not as bad as it seems.

Burst Jumping is easy once you get used to it. The best Burst Jump for me was Bullet Burst. Shoots a bullet forward. That was the one I used all game.

Standard bombs and fuses for the most part. Only used the orbit casting if I need to hit a boss while they were high in the air.

That was my setup.

Zevroid

Metroid

Postby Zevroid » 09.25.15 11:41am

I tend to use the float burst for the long jumps. I was experimenting with switching mid jump to see if I could string together possible combinations (Burst Jump, Vat, jump and throw some bombs, bullet burst after landing, etc).

Not sure how many opportunities I would really have to use that, though.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.25.15 8:41pm

Finally beat Plague of Shadows 100%. Loved every minute of it. Nothing gave me much trouble, but for how many times I've been through the base game that's hardly surprising. Loved the epilogue, and that post-credits scene is simply adorable. Need to hunt down a decent webm of that straightaway. All the more excited for more, knowing full well it'll be forever until the additional DLC is done.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.27.15 1:56pm

Loved the epilogue, and that post-credits scene is simply adorable. Need to hunt down a decent webm of that straightaway.
Here you go

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.27.15 8:50pm

Thank'e kindly, Met. Straight to my .gif folder those go.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.21.16 2:49pm

While Mighty No. 9 plays the "It's better than nothing" card, Shovel Knight continues to play the "best game that keeps on getting better" card.

Spectre Knight campaign details have been formally announced: http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/06/the-r ... ouncement/

No estimated release date yet, but they're swinging into full gear on the Spectre Knight, King Knight, Body Swap, and Battle Mode updates, all of them being worked on simultaneously. All free, too. And they apparently spent about $1 million on Plague Knight, even though that was free, so they technically made no money. Doesn't come off as the most practical of business decisions, but better a company willingly make no money off of an amazing piece of content than asking fans for four times that and delivering something completely and utterly disappointing.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.21.16 11:48pm

Don't be quick to discount how DLC packs like Plague of Shadows continue to move copies of the original game. Selling them piecemeal would've been a more straightforward decision, and Plague would've easily been worth $10~$15 USD, but giving them away for free encourages more people to pickup the game outright while providing no financial barrier to entry for the additional content. It's clearly working considering Yacht Club are still moving ahead.

Also, Specter Knight's gonna be my jam. Looks to control and play like a more vertical Zero from Mega Man, my favorite character and play-style in the franchise. All those S-Rank runs through the Zero tetralogy are gonna pay off big with Specter Knight. That's gonna be so much fun. Hope it makes it by years end but most probably not.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 09.26.16 7:32pm

Looks like spring of next year for Specter of Torment. No doubt it'll be worth the wait.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/09/specter-of-torment/

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion