Fire Emblem Thread

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Fire Emblem Thread

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.20.14 7:34pm

Super late but hey why not. :cookie:

I'm a fan of Fire Emblem and soon a new game will come out probably in 2016 which will be either better than Awakening or much much worst that will cause the series to fall into a chasm of no return.

Here have pictures(Fire Emblem Awakening spoilers and possibly offensive words):

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Fire Emblem Thread

Postby Zynux » 09.21.14 2:33pm

I'm not sure if I could be called a Fire Emblem fan or not.

I loved Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones, but absolutely despised Path of Radiance, which I felt was a huge regression for the series.

Awakening is...eh. I haven't gotten far into it yet, but wasn't entirely impressed with it. They seemed to have removed a lot of the strategy in the game, making every objective on the map just "Route the enemy" and getting rid of the Magic triangle, the dialogue and support conversations get almost cringeworthy bad at times, a lot of the characters are just complete tropes (worse then previous games I've played), and while the pair-up mechanic fixes the problem to getting support conversations easier, I feel that the mechanic really throws the balance of the game completely out of the window.

With that said, Fire Emblem is a pretty solid franchise. The setting of the games really limit it's storytelling though, as the characters and plot become copy and paste of each other.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.21.14 4:36pm

I'm not sure if I could be called a Fire Emblem fan or not.

I loved Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones, but absolutely despised Path of Radiance, which I felt was a huge regression for the series.

Awakening is...eh. I haven't gotten far into it yet, but wasn't entirely impressed with it. They seemed to have removed a lot of the strategy in the game, making every objective on the map just "Route the enemy" and getting rid of the Magic triangle, the dialogue and support conversations get almost cringeworthy bad at times, a lot of the characters are just complete tropes (worse then previous games I've played), and while the pair-up mechanic fixes the problem to getting support conversations easier, I feel that the mechanic really throws the balance of the game completely out of the window.

With that said, Fire Emblem is a pretty solid franchise. The setting of the games really limit it's storytelling though, as the characters and plot become copy and paste of each other.
You seem to be a fan of the older games. I would recommend Fire Emblem 6, the second game in which Roy originated with SSBM being the first. Even though Fire Emblem 7 is a prequel to 6 they're still pretty much the same in terms of weapons/classes. Dialogue might be funny at times since you're using an english patched version but I think you would enjoy it. I personally enjoyed Path of Radiance but I enjoyed Radiant Dawn, its sequel, much much more. It's on the Wii and I don't know if you are willing to put down about 20 bucks on the sequel of a game you despise :P

And yeah I hear you on the Awakening thing. Everything was made simpler, easier, and 'funny' to appeal and pull in casuals which has actually worked. I love the class diversity, skill system, and other mechanics like that but I do wish there was a magic triangle like in the other games and the Warrior's skill Counter didn't exist. I still think you should complete Awakening. I enjoyed it for what it is. I also narrowly survived Lunatic + x_x

Hey that isn't true! Fire Emblem 7 takes place in a kingdom which gets attacked and Sacred Stones takes place in a kingdom which gets attacked and Radiance takes place in a kingdom that gets attacked and Radiant takes place in a kingdom which gets attacked and-
I guess the common theme of Fire Emblem games is to show how nobles deal with war and crap since the guy you play as always has to leave their expensive palace and recruit a merry band of misfits then slay a madman(s) and a dragon(s) with rocket launchers/other power weapons.

Whatever you do, don't play any Fire Emblem games that are 1~5 and any of their remakes like Shadow Dragon.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 09.23.14 3:23pm

lol Path of Radiance was the first FE game I got and I loved it. For me, this is what defined the series.

In Radiant Dawn, the full written support conversations as seen from FE6 through 9 got butchered. Basically, any character can support any other but their lines are very much cookie-cut. That and each character can only support one other at a time. Oh and the Earth affinity is even more broken than in the previous game. Another thing I liked about this game is the greater weapon diversity. Basically even axes and lances have their Iron Blade and Steel Blade equivalents. The stat system as well as Bonus EXP has also been altered, adding another layer of strategy to raising your characters. Though the game has its nuances for sure. Another thing to know is that Dark magic returns but the character only becomes playable from the second playthrough. They also tweaked how Laguz units work (though I find it makes them more susceptible to getting level-screwed)

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.23.14 3:42pm

I played a bit of the first Fire Emblem on GBA but never stuck with it. I wouldn't even know where to begin now. At least I have every system the franchise has been on so I guess I could feasibly pick back up anywhere.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.23.14 3:58pm

I played a bit of the first Fire Emblem on GBA but never stuck with it. I wouldn't even know where to begin now. At least I have every system the franchise has been on so I guess I could feasibly pick back up anywhere.
Fire Emblem games sometimes come in pairs such as FE6 and FE7 or PoR and RD but it's similar to Final Fantasy's same world different people (?) kind of thing so you won't really be missing out no matter where you started with the exception of Radiant Dawn. If you want a good stable starting point you should probably retry some of the GBA emblems, if you're interested of course.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 09.24.14 7:37pm

A cosplay AND a piano cover of the soundtrack Companions from Fire Emblem 7.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 09.25.14 4:22am

Companions is one of the better songs in Fire Emblem 7 as well. Excellent piano arrange.

All the guy needed was purple hair to really look like Erk. Hell, he even had the hair.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.25.14 5:57pm

Meanwhile, the Meta Ridley slowly urges more people towards Fire Emblem...

I need people to talk to the series about. Everyone else I know basically played a few of the games and just kinda forgot about it.

And now for some Awkward Zombie (Possible spoilers for Fire Emblem)
http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=042913
"Playing Awakening made me kind of miss previous Fire Emblem games, where, rather than actually blocking a no-damage attack, recipients would just stand there and stoically take an axe to the face.

It was a simpler time."

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=040813
"I chose to leave Nowi out of my party.
Here's a cool thing if you're making a game or something: don't put an adult character in a child's body. It's really creepy! Another cool thing is don't also put them in garters and a bikini top? Someone please mail this information to the mayor of Japan. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go to jail for drawing this comic."

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=042213
"Tertiary characters don't understand how hard it is to be a protagonist, what with all the associated ambient dramatic special effects."

scoutception

Hatchling

Postby scoutception » 09.25.14 8:55pm

First off Meta, you are awesome for giving me an opportunity to gush about Fire Emblem.
But anyway, I just flat out love this series. I had actually been meaning to try it out for a while because of Brawl, but I am lazy. I ended up getting Awakening a few months after I bought my 3DS, and it blew me away, to the point I decided to get Shadow Dragon on the same day.
Not the best decision I've ever made.
Regardless, Awakening is still my favorite 3DS game. The support system is fantastic for developing the characters, considering the sheer amount of them, and the map system is also pretty cool, if a bit game breaking. The music is amazing, the story is.... passable, I guess, and the DLC is actually pretty good.
So yeah, I'm a bit of a fanboy now, so if you ever want to talk about Fire Emblem, I'm always up for it. :D
13500000000 BCE
The Big Bang creates the universe as we know it. The protons, neutrons, and electrons that will eventually compose Transformers are formed, ruining it forever. A Thursday.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 09.25.14 9:00pm

Here's a cool video I found just yesterday

And yeah, I remember that comic with the dragon girl. Erm, yeah, how many is "over a thousand" in dragon years, hm?

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.25.14 10:44pm

And yeah, I remember that comic with the dragon girl. Erm, yeah, how many is "over a thousand" in dragon years, hm?
Well, if Fire Emblem 1 happened 2000 years before Awakening I would say 200 = 1 year in terms of body aging since Tiki went from being a loli to being the best of the breast.
Nowi looks 10 as well so...

scoutception

Hatchling

Postby scoutception » 09.26.14 3:36pm

Well, apparently Nowi was a slave for most of her life and was forced to transform and perform.... other tricks, so that might justify why she had the outfit. As to why she kept wearing it, you got me.
13500000000 BCE
The Big Bang creates the universe as we know it. The protons, neutrons, and electrons that will eventually compose Transformers are formed, ruining it forever. A Thursday.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 09.26.14 4:47pm

Well, apparently Nowi was a slave for most of her life and was forced to transform and perform.... other tricks, so that might justify why she had the outfit. As to why she kept wearing it, you got me.
Actually, what she wears is standard Manakete clothing as far as I know. If you have a child with her the child will also wear that.

scoutception

Hatchling

Postby scoutception » 09.27.14 6:58pm

Actually, what she wears is standard Manakete clothing as far as I know. If you have a child with her the child will also wear that.
Nope, male Manaketes wear cloaks, and females wear dresses, like Nah and Tiki do. So it's either a slave outift, or it's made out of her scales. (Her supports with Gregor has her giving him a sweater made out of scales.)
13500000000 BCE

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion