Fire Emblem Thread

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: Fire Emblem Thread

Postby Meta Ridley » 12.25.16 4:43pm

Well, after 15 years of just Smash Bros, I finally played my first Fire Emblem game, Genealogy of the Holy War. It had me totally absorbed from start to finish in a way I had no expectations of. Challenging gameplay, epic story, and beautiful music. There were things about it that I've never seen in any other Nintendo game I've played.

Kind of disheartening that the director left Nintendo shorty afterwards. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I can tell, the Fire Emblem series hasn't quite been the same since. I've tried the GBA games but they didn't catch my interest at all. They gave me a very different impression. Same with what I've seen from the recent 3DS games. Maybe someone who has more experience with the series could point me to another similar entry (or tell me I'm just wrong in my assumptions).
Huh, this is pretty uncommon. As a long time FE nerd I sort of got the impression that, although some of the FEs are different from each other, they all provide a fun and challenging strategic experience and all the FEs, except Awakening and Fates, because that's when they went full on shitty story anime waifu self insert meme crap, were good. I think you made the mistake of starting on probably one of the best titles in the series, so now that your expectations are set, the rest won't quite live up to your standard.

Maybe try Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and its sequel Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn on Game Cube and Wii respectively. Many FE fans consider both of these games to be the pinnacle of the series, besides Genealogy anyway. Acquiring these games is another matter though, as they both cost extraordinary amounts and for some reason aren't available through eshop. Now if only there was some way to play them without buying them... Hm...

The Illustrative Man

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Postby The Illustrative Man » 12.28.16 1:15am

Maybe try Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and its sequel Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn on Game Cube and Wii respectively. Many FE fans consider both of these games to be the pinnacle of the series, besides Genealogy anyway. Acquiring these games is another matter though, as they both cost extraordinary amounts and for some reason aren't available through eshop. Now if only there was some way to play them without buying them... Hm...
Holy hell, I had no idea. I *almost* threw out my copy a few years ago. Case/Manual/Disk combos are trending over $120!

ZebesBound

Alpha Metroid

Postby ZebesBound » 12.28.16 8:44pm

Huh, this is pretty uncommon. As a long time FE nerd I sort of got the impression that, although some of the FEs are different from each other, they all provide a fun and challenging strategic experience and all the FEs, except Awakening and Fates, because that's when they went full on shitty story anime waifu self insert meme crap, were good. I think you made the mistake of starting on probably one of the best titles in the series, so now that your expectations are set, the rest won't quite live up to your standard.

Yes hmm... unfortunately, I doubt my PC is powerful enough for that. Guess I'll just be waiting for the Thracia 776 translation.

Although I'll probably give some of the other games another try anyway, now that I've become more familiar with the series.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 12.28.16 8:45pm

Fire Emblem Fates manga was apparently suspended. I didn't even know that was a thing.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 12.30.16 6:07pm

So, anyone up for talking about the class, EXP and Weapon EXP system?
Since I've only watched a complete playthrough of Awakening, there's only a marginal idea of what the gameplay is like for the 3DS games.

Right then, this is about the part of the gameplay where you invest in your characters. Up until Radiant Dawn, characters are in a fixed class set where they are one class and can promote to a specific, predetermined class. Promotion bonuses aside, this allows them to gain additional EXP and usually allows them to wield one or more other weapon types.

But what if characters were much more customizable? In a way, the concept of classes becomes nebulous and instead it comes down to how you train and outfit your characters. On paper, any character could use any weapon type. However, the choice between generalization and specialization each have their pros and cons. That's where I'll have to talk more about this different Weapon EXP system.

Weapon Levels range from "-" to "E" up to "SS." When characters are recruited, they come with their set of weapon levels. Weapons whose levels are "-" mean they're locked. Think of this as the character not knowing the basics to using that particular weapon type. For a character to "unlock" a new weapon type, they have to instruct this character with a different character at base to help teach this character the basics of the unfamiliar weapon type. Depending on the characters' respective Skill stat and the instructor's Weapon level for that particular weapon type, this may be slow or fast. Once a weapon type is unlocked, the character can start using that weapon type in battle. What might this look like? Let's say you just recruited Tormod in Path of Radiance and you'd like for him to use staves right away. Once you're at base, you'd have to have Rhys instruct Tormod the basics of using staves. It may take two chapters but you wouldn't have to wait for Tormod to promote before he can start using staves.
For the choice between specialization and generalization, specialization would give the character the opportunity to get a higher weapon level in that particular type than if that character were to generalize with other weapons. Up to A level, a character can already use the ultimate weapons such as the Vague Katti so the S levels are actually about getting specialization perks. such as increased critical hit rates and skills only obtainable through this process. After reaching A, getting to the S levels take a much longer time so dedication the the weapon type becomes a must.

As for their wardrobe, you kinda have to outfit them with that yourself. Each outfit or armor will bring with them specific perks and drawbacks. For one, you kinda have to buy the armor and robes yourself and they wouldn't come cheap. Aside from stat alterations, the characters' outfit will also influence weapon EXP growth and growth rates. All put together, if you're looking to get a character with the maximum Sword level, you would do well to pick a character who starts off with swords, dress them up as the Myrmidon classes and unrelentingly train their Sword level.

It's not exactly exhaustive and I sorta came up with it only today so I'm definitely open to discussion. Does this have the potential to be very interesting? Will this just end up being impractical or tedious? Worse yet, could it take away something that helps to make Fire Emblem unique?

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 12.30.16 11:36pm

I don't like how Awakening and Fates allow your characters to be any class willy nilly and get every dumb skill under the sun. Characters being set in their strengths and skills attributed to their classes is what made the game fun in my opinion. If you wanted a fireball guy you use the magic guy. If you wanted the pegasus lady you use the pegasus lady. Now that doesn't matter. You can just make anyone into anything. Why even bother recruiting some characters (by the way, recruiting in new games is a ****ing joke. You just talk to everyone with your lord and you're handed oodles of characters. There's no secret characters at all and you rarely ever use certain characters to recruit other characters.) when you can make anyone into whatever?

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.18.17 7:16pm

Fiaa Emburem Directo!
The Gist List™:
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - a remake of the second game, Gaiden, on NES - launching on 3DS, May 19th.
  • New Amiibo of protagonists Alm and Celica announced to ship alongside the game in an exclusive two pack. Still no word on Corrin, Bayonetta, or Cloud.
  • Full scale, mainline Fire Emblem title in development for Switch. ETA 2018.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors coming this Fall to Switch and N3DS.
  • Fire Emblem Heroes coming to Android February 9th, iOS TBA.

Warriors coming to N3DS was a surprise. I'd chide Switch for losing another exclusive but hardly anyone bought the N3DS so it doesn't really matter. That it's due out this fall on both systems is even more surprising. If Nintendo has some positive news of a timely release of Xenoblade 2 later this year or early next I could easily see myself picking up a Switch for Christmas. We still don't know anything about Fire Emblem Warriors, though. No further details other than expanded release information was given.

Heroes is about what you'd expect: Cutesy Fire Emblem Lite with microtransactions.
  • Small 8x6 grid maps.
  • Small number of allied and enemy units.
  • Rock-Paper-Scissors weapon-dependent combat hierarchy.
  • Multiple unit types including flying.
  • Leveling to improve stats, learn skills, and improve rarity.
  • Heroes are summoned via expending orbs - earned or purchased - allowing for five consecutive summons, each cheaper than the last.
  • Though largely left up to the fickle whims of RNGesus, you have marginal control over the type of unit summoned depending on the color of orb you tap once the currency is paid.
  • Characters have higher rarity variants - indicated by stars - improving their performance.
  • New characters can also be acquired through Hero Battles, though they spawn at a 1~3 star threshold instead of the normal 3~5 star range of summoning.

The game doesn't look half bad, but we also don't know all the limitations. Acquiring heroes via RNG through summoning and battle might suck, but we don't know drop rates or which - if any - heroes are exclusive to which method. We don't what limitations there are to battling, how often it can be done in a day - if it's limited at all, or how long one would need wait to fight again. We don't know when heroes die if they're simply removed from battle, if the player looses them permanently, or if they're unavailable for a time as they recuperate. We don't know how easy or difficult it will be to acquire premium currency in-game vs. purchasing it. These are the sorts of little things that drag otherwise quality mobile games down and we simply don't know how badly they're going to infest Fire Emblem Heroes.

Fire Emblem and SRPGs in general are a perfect fit for mobile phones. Heroes looks good for what it is. Now we just need to wait for the caveats to start rolling out...

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.19.17 10:42pm

The FE Heroes presentation looked so awkward. People came out of bullets and the OCs look terrible. At least a new artist(s) is handling artworks because the guy that did Awakening and Fates only knew how to draw 3 faces. At first I thought the mobile FE game was going to be a Fatewakening clusterfuck and during the presentation I wasn't entirely wrong but at least they showed other characters too, even if they were all drowning in Fatewakening characters.

I hope the Switch FE is good like RD was and FE2's remake is a huge relief because I haven't played a good FE game since RD.

Dynasty Emblem showed off nothing new and is going to also be on 3DS so that'll drag down the Switch version. Also, it currently looks like Fate/Awakening/Muh Classic circlejerk and if that's the case I won't even bother getting it.

I know I'm going on about how much I hate the recent 2 entries to FE but you've got to understand they're the Gundam SEED of Fire Emblem. Sure, the series was revitalized because of them but God they're so terrible and we'll see no end to their balls being rubbed in our faces while other FE series are left to die. On the info page where you can look at character info, for one named Tiki it says something along the lines of "A dragon girl blahblahblah. Appears in Fire Emblem Awakening... and other places."
Are you serious? She was in Fire Emblem 1/Shadow Dragon. It's stupid. I hate it.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 02.13.17 3:19pm

"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.03.17 11:37am

Fire Emblem Heroes (2017) Waifu/husbando collector.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.30.17 7:33pm

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/fire-emblem- ... arth-chrom
Update 6:50 a.m.: More information has come in.
  • Shion is voiced by Yuma Uchida. Lian is voiced by Maaya Uchida.
  • The Fire Emblem series’ mainstay weapon triangle and class systems exist in Fire Emblem Warriors. It is efficient to attack a Pegasus Knight with an Archer, for example.
  • Intelligent Systems is supervising on things such as character settings.
  • There will be a huge, fully voiced script.
  • The characters that appear are generally from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem Awakening, as well as Fire Emblem Fates. This won’t be a gathering of the protagonists from across the series.
  • There are bond conversations with characters from across different titles.
    There is no marriage, nor is there love as a result of becoming good friends.
Update 7:20 a.m.: And some more details.
  • Marth is voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa. Chrom is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.
  • There are two more original characters: Darios (voiced by Takuya Satou) and Yuana (voiced by Yuka Nagayoshi).
  • Development is currently 70 percent complete.
  • The project was in planning before Famitsu’s collaboration Musou title survey.
  • The first thing that was decided was “to do a Musou game that Fire Emblem fans would enjoy.”
  • The weapon triangle, high strategy elements, and classes that are mainstay in the Fire Emblem series are in.
  • The reason all the protagonists from the Fire Emblem games are not being included is because if they did that, everyone would be using a sword.
  • You can switch characters while playing, so you’ll be able to control various weapons and classes of characters.
  • The number of playable characters is more than the first entry of any other Musou series collaboration.
  • Archers and magic users will be playable.
  • While Koei Tecmo can’t share details on the world yet, there is a “Shield of Fire” in this world that has tuned up from beyond space and time.
  • Units that ride a horse, such as the Cavalier, always fight on horse. They’re designed to have high mobility.
  • “Bond Conversations” are being prepared as support conversations. There is a huge amount of text, including serious conversations and goofy conversations.
Fire Emblem Warriors information.
  • The characters that appear are generally from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem Awakening, as well as Fire Emblem Fates. This won’t be a gathering of the protagonists from across the series.
  • The reason all the protagonists from the Fire Emblem games are not being included is because if they did that, everyone would be using a sword.
People are not happy with these bulletins, and I can't blame them. It's like they conveniently forgot the protagonists that don't wield a sword, like Hector or Ephraim (but made OC characters that only wield swords??), and still on the Awakening/Fates bandwagon. Also I think the original protagonists showcased here look... not great.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 05.31.17 3:52pm

Warriors games OC's are usually lackluster. Hyrule Warriors probably had some of the better ones and that's not saying much. Their reasoning for omitting most of the franchise is weak considering they're blatantly contradicting themselves. I will say, though, that KT has done interesting things with sword-heavy casts in Warriors games before so that's not guaranteed to kill variety here. I've never been particularly invested in the Fiaa Emburem series but even I'm disappointed in the lack of representation on offer here. It's almost certainly so they can sell additional characters later as DLC. That's not an intrinsically terrible practice, the Hyrule Warriors DLC packs were fairly priced and of substantial content, but looking at how Nintendo has been ever increasingly squeezing the FE fanbase of late I'm not entirely confident Koei Tecmo - a company infamous for running rampant with DLC - will handle things any better. I should hope I'm wrong, though, as I'd love another good Warriors game.

Right now, short of any proper gameplay footage, I'm more concerned of whether or not FEW will be just another Dynasty Warriors 8 clone like HW. DW8 was great, and building HW on top of its foundation didn't diminish the games fun, but we've had that, twice, it's time for something different. As formulaic as the franchise can be, KT does experiment, more so with Samurai Warriors, but Arslan, Dragon Quest, and Spirit of Sanada have all been departures from the norm, and with DW9 going open world - however the hell that's going to pan out - I'm hoping KT are willing to think outside their very well established box and try something different. I'd personally love to see them build on the brawler / strategy mix the Empires expansions have been using for years, but there's any number of things they could do to spice things up.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion