Amiibo

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Apothem

Amiibo

Postby Apothem » 11.12.14 10:48am

Considering the merchandise's imminent release I thought it wise to round up what's known about the figures in a singular thread, as at present there are multiple concurrent conversations surrounding the things and keeping track of everything gets confusing. All future Amiibo - I refuse NOT to capitalize it - discussion should go here, unless talking specifically about game specific features in that game's specific thread. I.E.: Discussing Amiibo AI fighters in our Smash Bros. thread. Otherwise, ramble on about the generalities here, such as I'm about to do.

What We Know (Updated 11-21)

Release Schedule

Wave 1:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Wave 2:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Wave 3:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Known Compatible Software

Edit the Second (Updated 11-21)
Last edited by Apothem on 11.13.14 2:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: Amiibo

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.12.14 10:54am

One game at a time... That makes them look less tasty.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.12.14 11:01am

Of potentially interesting note, the NFC capabilities of Amiibo may well be subverted through good ol' fashioned human ingenuity. Diligent netizens have already managed to emulate both Skylanders and Disney Infinity portals & figures, functionally allowing them to play with whatever character or playset they wish. These methods both require a minimum of hardware knowledge - both mandating a simple "DIY" USB assembly - but regardless proves that the system can be beaten. The specifics aren't yet widely known, but it's been hypothesized that Amiibo NFC capabilities could be similarly emulated, with the potential added benefit of requiring nothing more than a modern smartphone.

One also wonders if purchasing a figure, unlocking the DLC, then returning it is also an option. Obviously not tenable for features that require persistent use, such as the Smash Bros. AI fighters, but for Mario Kart 8's Mii racer costumes and Hyrule Warriors spinner weapon why would the figures be required more than once? I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo mandated players tap their Amiibo's every time they wanted to utilized figure locked DLC - which isn't actually stored on the figure, btw - but it also seems unnecessarily superfluous.

So many curiosities, so little concrete information.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.12.14 5:39pm

This thread needs pictures.

Oh and Bam! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feat ... iibo-guide there's a guide.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.12.14 5:52pm

Might already be in the OP but: https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/sta ... 8691988481

This won't become an issue now, since Smash Bros is the only game that treats them as Save files, but when other games come along it's going to be problematic quick.

Easy fix: Allow Amiibo data to be backed up on the Wii U system.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.13.14 3:00am

@VGMStudios: Figure pictures added to their section in OP. The Nintendo World Report guide is a handy resource worth checking out for future updates, but it presently doesn't cover anything I haven't already in my initial post. Good to keep on hand regardless, especially once the timer runs out and I can't update the OP any further.

@
Zynux: I mentioned the present save data limitations under "What We Know." It seems likely there'll be some way to backup save data. Nintendo can be frustratingly obtuse, but they can't be that stupid... can they?

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.15.14 5:18pm

ImageImage
Compared to some of the other monstrosities, Samus turned out pretty good.
Indeed, Samus turned out very good considering.

Though if Marth is any indication, don't expect our lovely Zero Suit Samus to be all that...lovely.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.15.14 6:35pm

One can only hope Nintendo can learn to "face" by then. Maybe these things'll sell well enough at first to warrant an improved production budget moving forward? Or, more probably, well be left having to pay more for decent sculpts with the planed limited edition releases.

ALSO: Backtracked those pictures to a Kotaku article. Plenty more closeups of Wave 1 therein. Will update OP when I can.

Marth still confirmed for mutant.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 11.16.14 1:12am

no R.O.B./10
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.16.14 4:16am

I expect R.O.B. to look relatively good. He design shouldn't be messed up.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.16.14 7:49am

The less human a character is, the better they should look. R.O.B.'s angular design should work wonderfully with the mid-tier production we're seeing thus far.

I'm curious as to what, if any, market there might be for custom figures. Nintendo briefly discussed the possibility of custom Mii Amiibo's, but beyond that I'm wondering if a "DIY" market may spring up around the figurines. You should be able to easily pop them off their bases, allowing for relatively easy touch-ups or even whole new custom sculpts. Model kits are BIG business in Japan - see: Gunpla - and I conceive a potential Amiibo variant where you buy, build, and customize your own figurine and snap it on to it's specific stand. It'd functionally be identical to Games Workshop's Warhammer line of figurines, only not of terrible quality and horribly overpriced.

Speaking of Warhammer, now I want a Nintendo themed miniatures game. That could also work well with the Amiibo concept.

"In the grim darkness of the Mushroom Kingdom, there is only
WAR."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.18.14 5:08pm

CAPITALISM, HO!

Amiibo deals for the holidays: Toy's "R" Us has a "3 for $30" deal going "for a limited time" and Walmart is offering a Smash U + Amiibo bundle: The game plus Mario, Pikachu, and Link for $90.

I was already planning on picking up Samus - because Samus - and was planning on grabbing Link for Hyrule Warriors once the game updated. Now I'm wondering if I should pick up a third, and which one it should be? My brother and I don't particularly care for any of the other characters on offer, so I'm leaning towards Zelda, in the off chance she has later, better Hyrule Warriors functionality.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 11.18.14 6:10pm

if I should pick up a third, and which one it should be?
Pit. 'cause Sakurai
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.18.14 6:21pm

The only Amiibo that seems to have any worthwhile value at the moment is Link, since he has the most functionality with the various games.

Also, I agree that a Zelda would be a solid investment since Nintendo is doing a lot with the Zelda franchise.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.18.14 7:09pm

A sound investment. Hyrule Warriors has sold unexpectedly well - especially for a Warriors game - out west making it highly probable Koei Tecmo will be further supporting the title post-Hero of Hyrule pack - the four big DLC's presently on offer. If Amiibo takes off it's even more incentive to further support it, making Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, and the inevitable Ganon figures all likely far more worthwhile. Plus there's probably something Amiibo related in the works for Majora's Mask 3D.

However, as I now recall, having looked at this own thread's OP, Zelda is part of Wave 2, so I can't pick her up with Samus and Link... As such, my dilemma still stands: who to choose?

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion