RIP Satoru Iwata.

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Re: president of nintendo died...

Postby Xandalf » 07.12.15 7:47pm

Yup, the news is spreading everywhere. I'll really miss Iwata, but I wonder what Nintendo will have to do about this...

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 07.12.15 7:48pm

well if i wasnt depressed i am now.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 07.12.15 8:13pm

R.I.P. Mr. Satoru Iwata...

Sorry, I'm just speechless...

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 07.12.15 8:28pm

R.I.P. Mr. Satoru Iwata...

Sorry, I'm just speechless...
yeah.....i was in shock for 5 minutes or so before i started crying i was like....why cant i feel anything, then i started getting really upset all at once.

RaptorRex

Metroid

Postby RaptorRex » 07.12.15 9:06pm

55 is way too early. May he rest in peace.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 07.12.15 9:36pm

This is the image where it hit me pretty hard.
https://instagram.com/p/5DuPi6hmHH/?tak ... domemories :'(
(Iwata programmed Balloon Fight)
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.12.15 10:17pm

Thread Theme:

List of Games he was credited in: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Satoru_Iwata

• - Apologized for the lackluster e3 conference
    - Likely died thinking we hated his efforts and that he let everyone down
The feels are real for me over here.

Miyamoto will also die in our lifetimes. Damn

No one's perfect. Iwata wasn't perfect. But he was still a legend in the industry and talented programmer. I will deeply miss him.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 07.12.15 11:19pm

• - Apologized for the lackluster e3 conference
    - Likely died thinking we hated his efforts and that he let everyone down
I'm seriously trying really hard to refrain myself from crying right now. If they had a better-received presentation I bet he would've died a happy man... :'( I feel so sorry for Iwata in every way right now.

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Re: RIP Satoru Iwata.

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 07.12.15 11:30pm

go ahead and cry dude, your just gonna feel like crap later if you dont, i mean i hate showing emotions and i did.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 07.13.15 1:01am

• - Apologized for the lackluster e3 conference<br abp="868">- Likely died thinking we hated his efforts and that he let everyone down
<br abp="869">I'm seriously trying really hard to refrain myself from crying right now. If they had a better-received presentation I bet he would've died a happy man... :'( I feel so sorry for Iwata in every way right now.
This wouldn't be the first time a big Nintendo employee passed away after a large letdown. Gunpei Yokoi, creator of the Gameboy and producer on several classic Nintendo titles, also made the Virtual Boy. Two years later, he resigned (no clear reason is known why; Nintendo said it wasn't due to the failure of the Virtual Boy, but no other reason exists), and just after that, he died in a tragic car accident. He was 56 then, a year older than Iwata.

I've mixed feelings about Iwata's death... On one hand, I'm of course saddened that he died. Everyone at Nintendo (except for the Japanese staff at Nintendo Software Technology), whether or not they make good decisions, are honest and good people. The incredibly personal nature of the Nintendo Directs, with segments such as the Yoshi's Woolly World one just last month, show that the people there are special and don't intentionally want to displease people.

However, Iwata passed away from a bile duct tumor, something he said he had surgery for last year. If he'd been receiving proper medical care since then, he shouldn't have died so abruptly. This leads me to believe that he intentionally neglected to monitor his health so that he could continue his work. Obviously I could be wrong, but the only information about his illness is that he had surgery for it last year and died from it today. The statement about his surgery last year was that it was discovered at an early stage and was able to be effectively treated. Now 13 months later, it's fatal? Something doesn't seem right here.

If it was that serious, he should have stepped down from his position and stopped working until he was fully healthy. The fact that he didn't is worrying on two levels. One, it could have been because he was so devoted to his work that he didn't want medical care to slow him down. If that's the case, then he put himself at unnecessary risk, and it doesn't seem to have led to anything worth it. It's like how Steve Jobs had a super easily-treatable cancer, but shunned modern medicine in favor of a bunch of hippie stuff, and then it killed him, except much less foolish. Second, it could have been that he didn't feel confident enough in anyone else in the company to do his job, which is concerning. If there wasn't a plan for who would run things should someone important become seriously ill, what kind of plan is there for this?

Micro details aside, it's still always sad to see one of the greatest Nintendo employees pass away, especially one like him.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

MerlinDrazziw

Hatchling

Postby MerlinDrazziw » 07.13.15 2:08am

Just read this sad news. Didn't know that much about him, but it's still sad to read someone dying at age 55. RIP indeed, Iwata.

As for Nintendo, I hope they get a good successor.
Grt. Merlin

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.13.15 5:40am

I'm seriously trying really hard to refrain myself from crying right now. If they had a better-received presentation I bet he would've died a happy man... :'( I feel so sorry for Iwata in every way right now.

Iwata had Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma), it seems. The rate of survival seems to be really small, so I'm going to assume that Iwata was fully aware that he didn't have much time left and that there was little hope. Instead of retiring early, he still cut his own pay and tried his best. As Luminoth Prime was explaining, maybe he just was such a workaholic that he could have been neglecting his health, but even in tip-top shape and all the treatment in the world his future seemed pretty bleak.

I think I've made it pretty clear that I was not always a fan of Iwata. Maybe he was just a convenient scapegoat, but Nintendo's management in some areas has been baffling for years and I believe a large part of it may have to do with Iwata. But even still, one thing that I did like about Iwata was that he seemed genuine. He wasn't just another corporate muck ready to milk the industry of it's dignity like so many others, or an ideologue trying to force and subjugate the masses with half-baked ideologies: he wanted games to be games and wanted to please his costumers. With both the successes and failures, I appreciate that greatly in this day and age. I would even go as far as to say that I think Iwata was one of the few "old guard" left. Despite being 55, he did seem like someone who actually cared about video games, which in this day and age seems to be getting rarer and rarer.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.13.15 10:41am

He was a great man, doing things for his company that many CEOs wouldn't even think of. Taking a pay cut when the company performed poorly, his Iwata Asks segments, etc. The gaming industry lost an icon.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 07.13.15 11:54pm

God Bless Iwata-san.
My prayers go out to his family and friends.

I also really don't like some of the speculation that's going around here.
Seems very disrespectful. You have no idea what he was going through or what he was dealing with.
Assuming just makes an ass out of you. Weatheryou liked or hated him the president of Nintendo just died.
show a little respect.

I wonder who they will apoint next thought.

RIP Iwata-san you will be sorely missed.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion