Negative Thoughts on the Wii U lineup

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Negative Thoughts on the Wii U lineup

Postby Zynux » 11.21.15 9:31pm

So is it me or is the recent lineup for the Wii U not looking too good?

Besides Mario Maker and Splatoon there hasn't been any major heavy hitters in a while, Chronicles looks good but it's niche, #FE is still very divisive among the community, Wolley World doesn't seem to get much buzz, Fatal Frame immediately disappeared because Nintendo doesn't care, lol Devils Third, Ultra Smash got panned, Starfox got a lot of graphical complaints (looks better now) and was delayed, Twilight Princess is an HD port, Hyrule Warrior updates seem to favor the 3DS version, and Zelda is farther away.

2016 may be better but their holiday games is looking really bad right now.

Thoughts? Is it correct to assert this? Am I missing something?
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: Negative Thoughts on the Wii U lineup

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.22.15 1:27am

Yeah what is up with the 3DS Hyrule Warriors having MORE content than the Wii U version? It just seems like Nintendo doesn't have any good heavy hitters aside from Smash that came too late in the game and will be on a last gen console when the NX comes out very soon. Nintendo also pushed a bunch of freemium crap and Animal Crossing Party even though nobody likes it. There was no truly new Zelda game on a console that everyone wants after Skyward Sword or a Metroid game. Kinda wish everything wasn't getting better support on an inferior handheld but Nintendo is perfectly fine with leaving the Wii U out to die. As an owner of this system, with only Bayonetta 1&2 and Smash, I regret this purchase. Should have gotten Xbox One.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.23.15 3:56am

They advertised Ultra Smash to the moon despite it being a insult to Mario Tennis fans (like me), yet Xenoblade X, which is pretty much the hottest title for Christmas is being left to the dust.

Just very recently I'm starting to see Youtube ads for Xenoblade so hopefully they turn it around but I don't really understand what they are doing.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 11.23.15 9:55am

Actually, yeah! Why was Ultra Smash advertised so heavily? Does Mario really need moar advertisement over everything else?

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.23.15 8:25pm

Nintendo's always put the bulk of their weight behind Mario and their other core franchises. You're never likely to see them support their niche products like that. If it weren't for this dry spell we'd likely never see XCX. We only got the original on a fluke, it barely sold due to ludicrously low availability, and JRPGs in general have been on a downward trend in the west. They're not going to put serious money behind such a relatively unknown title. Probably for the best, unfortunately. The open world nature of the game is inevitably going to invite comparisons to Witcher 3, MGS 5, and Fallout 4. XCX offers its own unique experience and has its own strengths but it's still a significantly different game. Now's both the best and worst time for it: Open world is super popular but people already have a bevy of great heavy hitting titles out and are likely to start fatiguing. Maybe it proves to be a sleeper hit. That'd be great but I expect it'll come and go with little fanfare.

Otherwise, yes, Nintendo's holiday lineup is abysmal and their known lineup for 2016 doesn't look much better. There's still time for improvement next year, but if the rumors prove true then the company is likely gearing up for a new hardware release and as such I would expect much for the poor old system in the immediate future.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.24.15 12:50am

Actually, yeah! Why was Ultra Smash advertised so heavily? Does Mario really need moar advertisement over everything else?
Found our answer!

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nint ... marketing/

Xenoblade Chronicles X is an RPG, a game for RPG and Xenoblade fans. We didn’t do anything too big because the audience for the game already know it exists and is already attentive of its release.”
(It should be noted that this excerpt is taken from a translation)

No wonder 3rd party doesn't bother with Nintendo.

I'm not a Xenoblade fan but this is horseshit. It's pretty much your newest most anticipated big title for the holidays now and you go "it's niche, so we're going to just assume they will buy it anyway!"

What the hell? Am I sperging out fueling the outrage machine or is this a pile of BS? I am fully aware of the concept that hardcore fans will always follow up on a franchise, so hardcore Xenoblade fans will pick up Chronicles X but that is not enough for a niche RPG on the Wii U.

I'm legit butthurt that they may have pretty much put this game out to die without it given the chance.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.24.15 10:52am

Firstly, consider the source: One person representing a small portion of a much larger company, herself responsible for a niche market in and of itself, speaking largely out of turn regarding policies likely above and beyond her pay-grade. Remain healthily skeptical.

Secondly, if true - and it certainly seems likely - it is completely ridiculous. EVERY sequel is "for the fans." That doesn't stop most other companies from advertising the bloody hell out of their products in a desperate attempt at broadening their audience in hopes of higher sales numbers and greater profits. That's how you expand a franchise. It's not the sole means of doing so - word of mouth helps - but is the principal step towards success: Make people aware of your product. Xenoblade was niche enough as it was. It only sold well as it did because everyone else BUT Nintendo made a stink about it. That foundations been set, now the friggin' company needs to drag their ass up off the tatami and pull their own weight. This is their biggest release for nearly SIX MONTHS. Let people know it exists!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.24.15 8:07pm

Firstly, consider the source: One person representing a small portion of a much larger company, herself responsible for a niche market in and of itself, speaking largely out of turn regarding policies likely above and beyond her pay-grade. Remain healthily skeptical.
You're right, good call.
Secondly, if true - and it certainly seems likely - it is completely ridiculous. EVERY sequel is "for the fans." That doesn't stop most other companies from advertising the bloody hell out of their products in a desperate attempt at broadening their audience in hopes of higher sales numbers and greater profits. That's how you expand a franchise. It's not the sole means of doing so - word of mouth helps - but is the principal step towards success: Make people aware of your product. Xenoblade was niche enough as it was. It only sold well as it did because everyone else BUT Nintendo made a stink about it. That foundations been set, now the friggin' company needs to drag their ass up off the tatami and pull their own weight. This is their biggest release for nearly SIX MONTHS. Let people know it exists!
Exactly, why wouldn't any company driven by profit not want to maximize it? If how they're handling Xenoblade's marketing is even remotely true then it doesn't make sense to me, especially on such an underperforming system.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 11.25.15 10:04am

Open world games are exceedingly popular right now and XCX has its own unique aspects to offer the genre. It may not offer quite the same kind or degree of emergent gameplay that The Witcher, MGS5, and Fallout are known for but it certainly delivers on spectacle in a way nothing else on the market does. The game has the potential to be a relative powerhouse, move consoles, and expand the brand but Nintendo insists on letting it languish in obscurity. That's just plain bad business.

ZebesBound

Alpha Metroid

Postby ZebesBound » 12.01.15 12:01pm

Nintendo has given up on expanding their market with the Wii U. Right now they're just milking fans with amiibo, dlc, and token Mario games. Xenoblade can't make a difference at this point, and Nintendo knows it.

I disagree that Xenoblade has any kind of mainstream, powerhouse potential. It was tailor-made to appeal to the west, but cannot compete with true wrpgs. And in attempting that, it abandons the traditional jrpg crowd, putting it in a weird position. That and being on Wii U made it doomed from the start. JRPGs can, and have been, mainstream successes, but they need to be keeping up with if not leading the industry, not 5 years behind. Either that or go to handheld like we've seen with Fire Emblem and countless others.

I just bought my Wii U for it. When I asked for one at Best Buy they appeared confused, and although the in-store adds and demos were all for the 3D world bundle, that was out of stock. They guy didn't have any idea of what kind of bundles they were selling, and at first asked me if I wanted "black or white" lol. Of course when I went to pre-order at EB games,they had never heard of Xenoblade and I had to spell it out for him.

My Wii U library will probably amount to Xenoblade, Twilight Princess, the new Zelda if it ever amounts to anything, Smash, and a few from the virtual console. The Metroid Prime Trilogy is a sweet deal, and I just downloaded Fusion for 5 bucks. It got better after after the first area, but the Adam computer interruptions are a lot worse than I had remembered...

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.01.15 7:02pm

Toys R Us had an awesome Wii U bundle with Smash and Splatoon for $250. Of course the store I worked at only had a handful because Nintendo. If I didn't already have two thirds of that package I'd have gobbled that up right quick. Sold so many PS4 and XB1 bundles throughout the Black Friday weekend but sold through our pitiful Wii U stock almost immediately on Thursday. Soo many people came in looking for recommendations and I had to constantly point them to the competition because of Nintendo's infamous under-supply.

There's a lot Nintendo could - and should - do to help the Wii U. No one thing would fix this mess. Actually advertising the one significant release they have this season would be a good place to start.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion