Xenoblade Chronicles X

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Apothem

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Postby Apothem » 12.06.15 11:13am

Admin Edit: Please use this topic from now on to discuss this epic WiiU game!

So I finally finished The Waiting Game™ and moved onto Xenoblade Chronicles X at long last. Otherwise known as "Rock Climbing Simulator 2015." I've thus far put about a half dozen hours into it and that's most of what I've done. By choice, mind. The game almost immediately opens up, there's no fall damage, and no real rush to the plot, so hell yeah did I take off clambering over EVERYTHING I could find. Pity there's no collision on enemies, though. I so desperately wanna scale those massive alien brontosaurus'. I haven't found anything particularly noteworthy as of yet, but for whatever reason I'm really enjoying the freedom of exploration. Maybe in another twelve hours I might actually advance the plot a bit.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Luminoth Prime » 12.10.15 8:37pm

My friend is doing a blind LP of it. I told him that he should spare everyone and gave him basic instructions on how to do it, but he insists on just playing naturally and getting a neutral ending... Oh well.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.11.15 11:08am

You're forced into a neutral ending for your first pacifist run. You have to beat the game then load up and complete the last area that unlocks afterward to trigger the true pacifist ending. If you kill anything, though, you have to restart your save and try again.

Still more Xenoblade Chronicles X. I don't think I've ever before played a game I so thoroughly enjoyed exploring. The Prime Trilogy comes close, and Guild Wars 2 had a similar effect for a short time, but I've put several dozen hours into XCX already, have yet to move beyond chapter 4, am nowhere near getting my mechs, have only explored most of one of five continents, and still find simply wandering around the world so very enthralling. It helps that exploration is always rewarding in some fashion, and I love puzzling out how to reach places, sneak around powerful enemies, stumbling upon secrets, and pushing just how far the game will let me go. I can't wait to get my skells and roll out across the planes, much less my flight unit later still to soar across the world. If there's one thing XCX does like nothing else it's scale.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 12.11.15 8:09pm

When exploring is there anything to do? Or does it feel like an empty world?
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.15.15 2:24am

BELATED RESPONSE: There's plenty to do, whether or not it's worthwhile all depends on what you fancy. Mostly kill, collect, and explore, but you're never out in the world without reason. There are resource points to find, activate, and connect to build a world spanning income network for materials, money, and even boosts in battle. There's scenic vistas, hidden locations, and also just the map in general to explore, each of which rewards you in someway. There are hundreds of collectibles strewn throughout world that help to add flavor, used in quests, can be sold for profit, or reward you for merely collecting them all. Of course there's treasure to be found, consisting of resources, materials, equipment, and gear to help aid in your travels. Then there are the various beasties and other enemies of all strengths, shapes, and sizes to kill for all the typical RPG reasons. The elite, and often wandering, tyrants can prove to be exceptionally challenging. There's also your fairly standard questing system broken down into fetch/kill quests repeatable Basic Missions, mini-story Normal Missions, and more intimate inter-character Affinity Missions, plus the plot advancing Story Missions.

Other than scale - largely via Skells, the game's mechs - Xenoblade Chronicles X doesn't do much new, but what it does it does well and there's a lot of it to be had. This isn't The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or Metal Gear Solid 5. It's a big open JRPG on steroids. If you enjoy wandering through a gorgeously crafted alien world with lethally dangerous creatures around every bend and a deceptively intricate combat system all of which ramps up in size and stake as the plot advances, then this is the game for you. If you're not a fan of Japanesiness, JRPG cliches, limited character focus, and less action oriented but more tactical combat, then this won't likely appeal.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 12.15.15 11:30am

This isn't The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or Metal Gear Solid 5.

Good, those are some of the worst open worlds in the last few years. Sure they had stuff for you to do, but there was no point. You always had enough equipment, cash, etc. that exploring had no real value. Those games also had minimal to no "random" events that happen to you while traversing the world- arguably the only point of having one in the first place. There's nothing worse than an open world where nothing happens and all it does is look pretty. The whole point is that exciting things happen while you walk from place to place, otherwise it's just a giant level hub. From the trailers it looks like there are giant monsters you can get attacked by while wandering, so it has a leg up on the competition in that respect.
Hello.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 12.16.15 3:15am

Wrapping up my Fallout 4 experience. About 108 hours in and I'm close to having seen almost everything the game has to offer. Disappointing, really. I was hoping for more stuff to do in the same vein as Skyrim (I've yet to do every single thing you can do in that game), but I've already explored nearly every location and completed almost every quest (barring the faction-specific ones that are inaccessible when you're with another faction). For context, look at the Fallout 4 quest list compared to Skyrim's: http://imgur.com/a/Mvc3i

Game is still fantastic. Most locations have interesting things if you look close enough, and the gameplay is more solid than many other shooters. The story was also a major improvement from previous games, even having one or two positives over New Vegas. Just wish there was more of it all.

Seems like much of the work went into the settlement building features. It's really not for me, but I have seen other people go crazy with stuff and make some incredible things. But I just find the current palette options to be unsatisfactory, and I don't want to install too many mods before the official mod tools are released. Your choices are crappy wood or crappy metal. And trying to place things can be an unnecessary pain, though I did manage to rebuild the walls to the Castle near-perfectly. But I just want one single base, and not two dozen. I didn't like Fallout Shelter, and I don't like this.

In a couple of weeks I'll start a new playthrough and play with a different faction, and see how things go from there. I'm also going to choose the "Sarcastic" remark for every dialogue that I can, because it's hilarious.

Regardless, 100 hours of gameplay is definitely not a bad thing. Most single-player games don't manage ten. And those 100 hours are at least smoother than previous Fallout games, which are clunky beyond belief. And I'm not one of those guys that goes "I can't play Bethesda games without mods," because my first time playing Skyrim and New Vegas was on Xbox 360. I enjoyed those games a lot, unmodified, and if mods suddenly ceased working, I wouldn't be too disappointed.
This isn't The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or Metal Gear Solid 5.
Good, those are some of the worst open worlds in the last few years. Sure they had stuff for you to do, but there was no point. You always had enough equipment, cash, etc. that exploring had no real value. Those games also had minimal to no "random" events that happen to you while traversing the world- arguably the only point of having one in the first place. There's nothing worse than an open world where nothing happens and all it does is look pretty. The whole point is that exciting things happen while you walk from place to place, otherwise it's just a giant level hub. From the trailers it looks like there are giant monsters you can get attacked by while wandering, so it has a leg up on the competition in that respect.
This is a list of all the pre-programmed things in Skyrim that can be found by going from place to place, randomly. Can't speak too much for other games, but I know Skyrim has a large amount of stuff you can totally miss if you only fast travel. Fallout also has a lot of these; encountered a super hero while wandering around in Fallout 4.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.16.15 5:38am

That's actually explicitly why I stated those examples. Each of those games has little stories or bits of randomness - either intentional or not - that add charm and flavor to their worlds. XCX may have most beat in aesthetics - except for perhaps The Witcher if you're into medieval fantasy - but other than a random ganking by a wondering high level behemoth the game is very straightforward. There are some quests you can stumble into but the game generally lacks - at least thus far - the sense of intimate discovery that its supposed contemporaries have. Like I said, it best handles scale, exploring a massive and lovingly crafted world, spotting vistas on the horizon once thought inaccessible and either finding a clever way there or later coming upon whole new means of transportation further broadening your exploration options.

The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and MGS5 are all large worlds focused on small scales. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a big world that grows even bigger as the game draws on. I love that. You won't get quite the same sorts of stories out of it that draw so many people into its competitors, but it does things nothing else does. Felling an elite alien brontosaurus you randomly stumbled upon with a squad of viciously armed flying transforming mechs is an experience I don't think one can find anywhere else. Taking to the skies, soaring through the clouds, and fighting dragons mid-air - again with the mechs - is another. The game may not be particularly intricate but it's just so fucking cool.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 12.21.15 2:04am

I just got Xenoblade Chronicles X. I blame Apothem entirely for this. Installation is also taking FOREVER to finish. It's been under a minute for many minutes now. Anyway, looking forward to it.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.22.15 7:41pm

@Meta Ridley: Capital!. I hope you enjoy it. It can be a very obtuse game. Don't hesitate to read through the digital manual, peruse the net, or ask here for advice.

Perhaps the most important thing I can immediately suggest is that you first max out your mechanical field skill. You're going to need that far more than the other two. You can start upgrading those after chapter 3. You'll be able to raise each skill up to level 4 then take on quests - Off the Record - from the mission board to unlock level 5.

Expand your Frontier Nav. Network as well early on, as you'll be needing large sums of cash and miranium. Do so as you're exploring post-chapter 3 so you can better keep mechanical leveled. Don't burn out on trying to find every single spot, but the more the better. Prioritize research probes over mining probes, chain them together wherever possible, and not that FN sites with sightseeing locations net considerably more revenue if you've discovered them, even if the sites reven rank is low.

Max out your investment in Sakuraba Corporation first, then Grenada, wherever else doesn't matter quite as much. The first two levels net you more gear to buy whereas the last two levels improve quality. Most of your gear is likely to be purchased and this helps tremendously.

Be a little stingy with your battle points until you find a character build that works for you. There's little reason to upgrade combat arts beyond level 3 unless you know you're going to rely on them. Maxing out useful class skills is cheaper and more beneficial. You have a limited amount of BP until after you finish the main story and unlock repeatable missions that award dozens of points. More than enough to play around with, but not enough to max everything out until post-game.

Skells are post chapter 6. The flight module - a free Skell flight upgrade - is post chapter 9. Your first Skell is free, but weak. Everything else needs to be purchased and can get expensive. Skells are level locked: 20 / 30 / 50. Once you've unlocked them, are level 30+, and have the money I suggest purchasing at least one Verus light frame. The G-Buster sword it come equipped with is incredibly powerful.

That's all I got for now. As for my own experience, I'm finally fleshing out my Skell squad. I've been rollin' with one supped up mech for days but to tackle these bigger beasties I'll need a well outfitted team. That's no simple task. There's a lot of options to choose from. Rather daunting, really.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 12.22.15 11:26pm

@Meta Ridley: Capital!. I hope you enjoy it. It can be a very obtuse game. Don't hesitate to read through the digital manual, peruse the net, or ask here for advice.

Perhaps the most important thing I can immediately suggest is that you first max out your mechanical field skill. You're going to need that far more than the other two. You can start upgrading those after chapter 3. You'll be able to raise each skill up to level 4 then take on quests - Off the Record - from the mission board to unlock level 5.

Expand your Frontier Nav. Network as well early on, as you'll be needing large sums of cash and miranium. Do so as you're exploring post-chapter 3 so you can better keep mechanical leveled. Don't burn out on trying to find every single spot, but the more the better. Prioritize research probes over mining probes, chain them together wherever possible, and not that FN sites with sightseeing locations net considerably more revenue if you've discovered them, even if the sites reven rank is low.

Max out your investment in Sakuraba Corporation first, then Grenada, wherever else doesn't matter quite as much. The first two levels net you more gear to buy whereas the last two levels improve quality. Most of your gear is likely to be purchased and this helps tremendously.

Be a little stingy with your battle points until you find a character build that works for you. There's little reason to upgrade combat arts beyond level 3 unless you know you're going to rely on them. Maxing out useful class skills is cheaper and more beneficial. You have a limited amount of BP until after you finish the main story and unlock repeatable missions that award dozens of points. More than enough to play around with, but not enough to max everything out until post-game.

Skells are post chapter 6. The flight module - a free Skell flight upgrade - is post chapter 9. Your first Skell is free, but weak. Everything else needs to be purchased and can get expensive. Skells are level locked: 20 / 30 / 50. Once you've unlocked them, are level 30+, and have the money I suggest purchasing at least one Verus light frame. The G-Buster sword it come equipped with is incredibly powerful.

That's all I got for now. As for my own experience, I'm finally fleshing out my Skell squad. I've been rollin' with one supped up mech for days but to tackle these bigger beasties I'll need a well outfitted team. That's no simple task. There's a lot of options to choose from. Rather daunting, really.
I'm doing side quests and exploring but I'm trying to rush as fast as I can to getting a Skell already. I'm on mission 6 but the 3 Tainted boss guys that showed up beat me down pretty bad but I kept trying and eventually I beat them. Then a giant lion monster showed up and he is wrecking me and my team sideways. I don't know how to do that item cataloging thing or buy more probes so I have like a bajillion mining probes everywhere since they were given to me. As of now my percentages for continent exploration are: Noc 22.4%, Caul 0.0%, Sylv 6.5%, Prim 28.7%, Obliv 14.4%. I was hoping to be able to explore more once I have a Skell. My character is level 22 and yeah I've been putting all of my points into the mechanical skill thing. As for BP thanks for telling me they're limited. I'm going for Galactic Knight and I'm a Blast Fencer right now. About half way done with that. I got beaten so many times by this boss that the game offered to lower the difficulty. How embarrassing. Anyway, once I become stronger I hope we can both engage in jolly co-operation.

Edit:
Figured it all out. Got my Skell. Trashed it in the first 10 minutes by wandering into a cave with like 50 enemies in a tiny room I couldn't escape. It came back I guess. Will be more careful.

Edit 2:
While exploring Skell got destroyed by something. I don't know what it was, but it destroyed it in one hit. Not going to use the Skell anymore. I didn't think it would be so fragile.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.23.15 12:03pm

Point the First
The collectopedia - or "item catalog" as you put it - can be found under [Intel] in the + menu. Your goal is to place one of every collectible from each continent into each segment. If you have the necessary material the corresponding segment will be green and read "OK". Segments with stars award 2 battle points. Completing an entire row awards 5 battle points and a holographic figure for your barracks. Completing an entire continent awards you yet more battle points. Certain collectibles can only be found in certain areas within a continent, such as caves, coasts, lakes, rivers, plains, etc. You'll need to search everywhere and some appear much less frequently than others. The only other use for collectibles is for completing repeatable basic missions, or to be sold. You can sell almost anything in your inventory - also accessed under [Intel] in the + menu - directly from the menu interface. You don't sell items at the shop kiosk. It's advised you collect frequently and hold on to them to complete basic missions when you need/want to quickly raise affinity with other party members. They sell for a pittance and you're better off exploiting your Frontier Nav network for cash anyway. Once you've collected 99 of any collectible picking up any more of that particular item will immediately convert it into money, a convenient feature that keeps such items from ever truly going to waste.

You cannot buy probes of any kind. They are awarded from select story missions, normal missions, or from mechanical treasure spots throughout Mira. There are a finite number of each type of probe in the game, but you can't accidentally sell or dispose of them and you never lose access to basic/normal/affinity missions so there's no way to permanently miss them. Miranium isn't as important as cash for most of the game. Mining probes won't significantly impact your Frontier Nav revenue, but you should use research probes wherever possible. The better the revenue letter grade, the better the payout, with one notable exception: Any site, regardless of grade, that has even one sightseeing location with produce exponentially more revenue than even the highest grade site without one. Whether or not a mining site has any sightseeing locations is listed on the GamePad map. Simply click a site and it'll be under the letter grades. If it's listed as "--" that means there's nothing to be found, otherwise it'll be listed #/#. For example: 0/1. The location(s) in question can be found in any of the hexagonal segments bordering the mining site, including the site itself. It can be a lot of work on foot but the payout is immense, especially with research probes. Chaining three or more probes of the same type and grade is also incredibly effective.

I still need to figure out how the multiplayer works. I should be able to play directly with you but I'm not certain. I wouldn't mind helping in the slightest if I could.
Point the Second
Lastly, regarding skells: It's a learning process, don't give up yet! Your first skell, the Lv.20 Urban, generally sucks. It's meant as an introduction to skell mechanics and little else. It's best used as a means of transportation, not a fighter. You can't buy much for it from the shop, but if you're interested in kitting it out seek and destroy any Lv.20-29 mechanical enemy and like leveled humanoid enemies, particularly Prone and their ilk. They have a good chance of dropping Lv.20 skell gear. All skells are level gated, only characters of that level or higher can use them. Once you hit 30 you can purchase much more competitive models, but they're steeply expensive. I'd recommend the Lv.30 Verus "out-of-the-box", so to speak, for its incredibly powerful G-Buster gravity sword. That'll obliterate, or nearly so, almost anything around its level. If you have the money for it by the time then the Lv. 30 Amdusias is another great purchase for it's E-Scythe with bonus back attack damage plus the general strength and survivability of the heavy frame, particularly if you can also afford a complete set of ATK2 heavy armor for the AttributeDmg.BEAM traits to strengthen it.

Using skells can be tricky. Their vehicle modes handle like garbage, but once accustomed they're at least manageable. Something I accidentally stumbled upon myself that the game doesn't tell you; you can back up with ZL, but you can't turn in reverse for some stupid reason. Skell HP recovers like character HP outside of battle, and they're just as dependent on Soul Voices for longevity as your characters are. All ground characters gain +20% extra defense for each skell present, so simply having a party member in one can be of great benefit, even if it isn't very good. Skells can temporarily lose appendages which disables whatever weapons - and by extension, arts - associated with them. They regenerate completely and free of charge after battle. If your skell is destroyed you're given the standard b-button QTE to recover it, consuming one or more points of skell insurance in the process. You can only do this once per battle. If you fail the QTE or are out of insurance points your skell is destroyed and you'll need to pay a hefty sum to have it repaired. It's recommended you save often, particularly before trying anything dangerous, to explicitly avoid this. Your party members cannot not lose their skells. If destroyed they automatically succeed the QTE and will never consume insurance.

Once you have more equipment options you'll want to build your skell much the same as your characters, around a central powerful art. Right shoulder and right back weapons are the most powerful weapons you have access to. For example, above I mentioned the Amdurias' E-Scythe right shoulder weapon. It's beam elemental, meaning you'd want anything that improves beam damage, melee damage in general, or weakens your enemy to either. Your allies skells are better off as multipurpose support units as the AI isn't so intelligent with setting up combos. You'll want to stagger your large enemies as often as possible so as yo bind them with ZL + ZR. This incapacitates them, restores fuel, and greatly improves damage for the duration. Don't feel you need a full squade right away. It's better to invest in one good skell than 4 mediocre units.
That's all I got off of the top of my head for now. Feel free to ask me anything and I'll see how best I can help. This game can be incredibly dense and complex, which is a large part of what I love so much about it.

As for myself, I have my squad finalized but largely untested. They should suffice but I'll need to put them though their paces. It's a blast watching all four mechs soar through the open skies, only to then descend on some poor unsuspecting beastie and annihilate it. At present my most pressing conundrum is deciding on a set of color schemes and names. Right now I'm using the default frame names slightly altered to better identify each individual mech. They're colored to match their respective pilots skell wear suit, so I have a green one, a blue one, a red one, and a pink one. They don't look bad, but I wonder if I couldn't do something... better with them. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has anything. Customization is free so I can dick around as much as I like.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 12.23.15 3:26pm

Wow thanks for all the tips. I'll also try harder not to get my only robot trashed again. I'm also not entirely familiar on how to work the online part of the game but I was invited to join a quick by some random person and their friend and it was pretty fun.

As for names I recommend naming them after various machines from mecha anime that they resemble.

ZebesBound

Alpha Metroid

Postby ZebesBound » 12.23.15 3:38pm

I'm well into Xenoblade X (70 hours, chapter 10). I feel there are two different sides to the game, and I have very different feelings about them both. It's what I feared going in about the game having an identity crisis between western mmo and jrpg.

The game is at it's absolute best when you're running around the world, doing whatever you want. Exploring, fighting whenever you feel inclined, upgrading arts/skills, mastering classes, swapping around party characters freely, experimenting with combat, etc. I really enjoy doing this, and took a big break after chapter 5 to just explore and get stronger.

But going through the story, doing sidequests, and generally anything involved with the confines of NLA just feels like a forced, grindy chore. It's why it's not really a full "open world" game. All story chapters start and end in the same place; all affinity quests start in the same place; and nearly all normal quests start in the same place. Meanwhile outside in the field, while it's great for what it offers, feels totally disconnected from the main game. For example, you're told early on that the main goal, which was very urgent, was to find these large objects that had been scattered accross the world, yet when you do find them as you explore the world, they are completely un-interactable and can't be touched until the story dictates. The plot and characters are terrible, and the sidequests, aside from being standard generic filler, are actually mandatory. One part needed to advance the main game involves setting a random npc up on a date with another random npc, finding a gift for him to give her, and bribing another random npc to make the gift by getting him $10000 worth of pizza. All that ever came out of it was showing how one of the main characters had mangst problems yet still cares for his teammates, and this had already been established in a previous quest. After this I decided I wanted to push through the last few chapters and get on with the end game content, but a couple chapters later and I quickly became severely underleveled, forced to go grind. The original game was never like that because progressing through the main game was enough to keep you at a proper level.

Anyway, the first Skell I wanted to name was Lin's Heavy type, which I called Seibzhen of course. Some of the other names I'm thinking about are mostly anime and game mech/ship type stuff. The next heavy I get will be named after the Soyokaze from Captain Tylor. I'm also going to get a skell for Irina and give it the longest, most epic Glorious Mother Russia name I can find.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.23.15 8:31pm

Totally agree about the story. I've firmly stopped after chapter 9 now that I have my flight packs. I'll finish it up eventually but it's far from what I enjoy most about the game. Rote and cliche is fine but the characters lack weight, depth, or impact, as does the story. Open world games always suffer some lack of narrative focus, and are by their very nature ludonarratively dissonant, two words everyone in the broader gaming community 1) don't typically understand, and 2) love to irrationally hate. I'm a bit more lenient on this than most, but if it weren't for the world, mechs, and mechanics I wouldn't give the slightest toss about the game. This isn't a good character driven game.

A quick leveling tip before I go: Two Lv.30 Verus with G-Busters or one Amdurias with E-Scyth and ATK2 armor can obliterate the Rebel Kaizer Qmoeva found at FN Site 322, the eastern most point in Oblivia. ~700 base XP - which is a lot, solitary enemies, and adjacent fast travel point make this an excellent leveling spot. Once you hit 50 you can use much the same set up with Lv.50 skells to annihilate even nastier foes for even faster leveling.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion