Xenoblade Chronicles X

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.06.16 11:54pm

I didn't know augments were that useful. The first thing I did when I got the 70 was fight Telethia and get dunked on. Then I got the 90 and battled Pharsis and once again got dunked on. Then I ran into that Xe-Dom near the entrance of Noctilum and it reflects Ether damage. You can guess what my Ares 90 did after firing its cannon at it.

I'm familiar with Ghost-Primer-Offensive-Stream-Blossom which I use because I don't know how to play the game but I kinda wish higher level enemies didn't require you to basically 1 shot them as opposed to having a somewhat lengthy battle. I enjoyed a certain boss because the fight was in a Skell and it was a bit lengthy. Too bad I can't enjoy that experience again because it's a Time Attack Mission and I need to instakill overdrive combo him in order to not die in the next 40 seconds but more often than not he deploys orbs and becomes invincible so I have to smash them but they float around so I'm sometimes out of melee range. It's just such a bother. If I could fight the TA bosses in a Skell I would gladly do it even if the reward drop was halved and they were stronger. On foot they're kinda boring or too hard without resorting to overdrive spam.

Another thing: It feels like the healing arts are useless. Most enemies have AOEs and after I heal 1 or more members of my party we all get hit again and we're back to square one.

I also kinda like the music but I feel most of it can be unfitting at times with the city themes being the main examples of unfitting. The music also can't be lowered so you're at the mercy of it drowning out all dialogue during cutscenes which leaves you to read super small subtitles. All the text in that game is small which isn't great for one with poor eyesight like myself.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.07.16 7:07am

Augments make or break any build, character or skell. Blossom Dance is so powerful because people stack Melee Attack Up and Potential Up augments. Also that the attack itself negates enemy attribute resistances, thus removing most of their defensive strength. Knowing how augments - and battle traits on gear, which are the same thing - work is crucial to overcoming the games tougher challenges. For example, an easy way to boost skell damage by 100~150% is through PositionDmg.ABOVE frame augments which do exactly as they say: boost all damage dealt to enemies when your positional indicator shows you're "high" above them. You can still hit with melee weapons and it's incredibly easy to maintain making them ridiculously useful augments to have. Also very cheap and easy to make. For your skell weapons the easiest thing to do would be to stack "Slayer" augments which deal percentile bonus damage to enemies of a certain type. Not so efficient for general purpose builds, but if you find yourself farming specific types of enemies it works wonders. They're also super cheap and easy to make.

For your characters you'll wanna stack Weapon Attack Up XX on any primary weapon - whichever you're building them around, melee or ranged - with more than 150 base attack power. At Lv.20 the augment boost weapon attack by 100%. You can have a maximum of three augments on weapons, so three of these suckers will quadruple your base offensive output, and that's a significant increase. Melee/Ranged Attack Up XX boost their relevant stat by 150, and each point is equivalent to one point of base attack damage, making Weapon Attack Up XX better on weapons with >150 attack and Melee/Ranged Attack UP XX better on weapons with <150 attack. For example, my present set up is Weapon Attack Up XX x3 on my longsword and Melee Attack Up x3 on my dual guns. That's crazy powerful without having to rely on tension arts or overdrive. It's also crazy expensive and time consuming to grind. While not as effective, like with skells enemy slayer augments would be a much easier alternative.

Skills are also of paramount importance, but with the exception of Synchronicity they exclusively effect your characters, not your skells. You'd want to focus on attribute boosts, positional boosts, then conditional boosts - such as combos - in roughly that order, depending on your build. Comboing is simple: when an art or skill says it's more effective when executing a combo simply precede the intended attack with the combo starter. For example, to initiate a melee combo use any (orange) melee art before the attack that benefits from the combo. Same for ranged, obviously. You don't have to use both attack immediately back to back, but you do have a limited window of opportunity after initializing the combo, so you can't wait forever. It's best to make sure both arts are ready beforehand, just in case. It should also go without saying that if you start the combo and then use any other art you'll break it, so buff up and debilitate your enemy before your melee/ranged combos.

Also note "Nullify [ATTRIBUTE] Reflect" augments for characters and "Reflect.NEG-[ATTRIBUTE]" augments for skells. These negate damage reflection, which as you well know some tyrants have. Enemies do not have attribute-specific reflection, they simply reflect damage. Instead you'll need an augment appropriate for the type of damage you're dealing. For example, the Ares 90 deals predominantly Ether damage, so you'd need Reflect.NEG-ETHER. Also Reflect.NEG-THERMAL for Vajra Flail. At Lv.20 these augments completely negate all reflection damage. Thankfully they're very cheap and easy to produce.

So, as I've hopefully made clear in my signature verbose manner, augments are the cornerstone of post-game success. If you haven't already, open up L's shop - quest from a lady in Armory Alley - so you can put more augment slots on your gear. Costs a lot of miranium but it help tremendously.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.14.16 6:05pm

Some Xenoblade X music I like.

Too bad these don't play very often. I don't enjoy hearing a generous portion of the music of Xenoblade X and I'm fairly neutral on less but the NLA music, the battle music, and the flying music is the worst in my opinion, which is funnily enough what I hear most often since I am in NLA a lot and my main means of transportation aside from fast travel is flying slightly above ground in a Skell as I have superior movement options compared to the vehicle mode's horrific controls and of course I battle things along the way. Most of the music also has WEIRD names so you'll never find it without having to rummage through related videos on YouTube. I wouldn't deduct points on the game for the music if I had the option to lower music volume but you can't. And, to make things worst, the music is often louder than the spoken lines during cutscenes so if you play with no subtitles good luck knowing what's going on at all. The same guy that composed the music for this game did the music for Kill la Kill and Unicorn Gundam if I'm not mistaken. A shame he went down the Kill la Kill road of weird techno rap.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 01.14.16 6:55pm

I can't imagine playing an RPG with the music not being good. You're in menus for a long time with the same music, so that must feel terrible.

With Xenoblade X, seems like they were trying to be Lotus Juice but failed.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.14.16 7:09pm

Some of the music you will most often be hearing:
NLA theme with the first half during the day and the later half during the night.

The common battle music

Flying music

Battling a special enemy

Compare the last one to Xenoblade Chronicle's special enemy theme

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.14.16 8:12pm

I disagree on the music. I'm ambivalent to some of it, and when I first ripped the soundtrack after the Japanese release I wasn't at all keen on it, but playing through the game it's grown on me as a whole. The English - and lets be honest, also German - lyrics are complete nonsense but they add a certain quaint charm to the game. I like the battle themes, all of them, even the ridiculously bad rap ones, and particularly like how the songs shift when you enter overdrive, especially how there's different music for character and skell overdrives, and even certain bosses have a unique theme upon overdrive activation. The flight theme is actually one of the favorites and I love the themes for each zone. The cinematic score is where I tend to tune out, but the most common songs I find enjoyable. I'll wholeheartedly admit that the ost doesn't stand favorably against its predecessor, but the original Xenoblade soundtrack is one hell of a tough act to follow.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.14.16 8:55pm

I'll wholeheartedly admit that the ost doesn't stand favorably against its predecessor, but the original Xenoblade soundtrack is one hell of a tough act to follow.
Well, that's a fair point. And I might have been too harsh on it. I personally don't enjoy it but I shouldn't say it's bad. I just think it's a little annoying that you can't change the music volume at all.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.14.16 10:42pm

Those field themes I mentioned previously...

The game's primary cinematic theme. Used in most of the trailers and the initial reveal of planet Mira:

Theme of Primordia, the first continent you explore:

Theme of the various cave systems found throughout the game:

Main theme of the many Ganglion bases scattered across Mira:

Theme of Noctilum, the jungle continent:

The first half is Celica's character theme, the second is the theme for the Divine Roost in Noctilum, home of the super boss Telethia the End Bringer:

Theme of Oblivia, the desert continent:

Theme of the Ma-non aboard their ship above New Los Angeles:

Theme of the various intercontinental waters of Mira:

Theme of Sylvalum, the frozen continent:

Theme of Cauldros, the burning continent and the Ganglion's main base of operations on Mira:

These are what you'll be hearing most often, at least until you get the flight module and fly everywhere. Fights don't typically last long enough to hear most of the song unless you're regularly challenging difficult enemies and tyrants. You will be in NLA a lot, and I can understand how that theme can get grating over time, but most of the music in the game is still excellent.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 12.09.16 1:53pm

Nice to see there are other people who played this game... but it's been dead for a while. I love Xenoblade Chronicles X, being the only one in my group of friends to actually finish it. Went on a binge after getting it for Christmas, and by the time I beat the story, did a bunch of side quests and got the Ares 70 Skell I was fairly burned out and haven't played the game again in months. There's better be a sequel of some sort, there are still plenty of unanswered questions.

After being released for about a year now, has anyone's opinion of the game changed? When was the last time any of you played it?

ZebesBound

Alpha Metroid

Postby ZebesBound » 12.22.16 12:29pm

After being released for about a year now, has anyone's opinion of the game changed? When was the last time any of you played it?
After just finishing Final Fantasy 15, I've got a new appreciation for how great it was to have so many different characters to choose from in X. It also made me miss the Skell and foot travel, because the car is so restrictive, and the world is full of fences. Even when you get the flying car, you can still only land on the roads, so it's kind of pointless. This frustration has made me want to go back and play X a bit.

However I still resent this game for putting so much of its development resources towards HD open world western multiplayer gameplay and pandering to an American audience, going against everything Monolith is known for.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.23.16 12:40am

With more than 600+ hours in I still stand by XCX as one of my all time favorite games. I'm still hoping we either get a proper sequel or a Switch port with more content and a proper resolution.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 12.27.16 2:36am

Oh, I certainly agree XCX is amazing. I don't know why but I suddenly stopped playing it and can't bring myself to play it again.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.27.16 10:58am

I do that frequently with games. I either burn out on them, get distracted by something else, or just put them down and never pick them back up. I find it difficult completing most the games I play as a result. With XCX I thoroughly enjoyed it for hundreds of hours, completed the story, turned my characters and mechs into unstoppable gods of destruction, and then quit with most of the ancillary content left unfinished. Now despite how easy it would be for me to pick the game back up and continue on I don't think I ever will. There's a sort of mental block in place preventing me from caring enough to do so.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion