Wii U Causing Internet Problems?

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Wii U Causing Internet Problems?

Postby Zynux » 01.15.16 6:48pm

I'm not really tech savvy, but I just want to ask out of curiosity: Anyone have any history with consoles possibility eating up the internet from your PC or laptop?

This seems strange since I heard at least the prior Wii uses up very little bandwidth.

Our family had a very old Modem, to the point where Comcast was going to cut support from it. They eventually did, and we had to "upgrade" to the xfinity Modem/Router. We got the internet started up on all of our devices, and things were running fine for a while.

But then things for me started to get crappy when it came to the internet: things were often running extremely slow or not at all, and often cutting out and coming back. At first I thought my Network adapter was dying, but then it goes to show that it works perfectly fine downstairs. This is when I noticed that I was the only one in my household experiencing this issue: everyone else had relatively fine internet.

My and my older brother live in the same room, so I had suspected that maybe there were complications there (even though prior things were fine). He's on an Ethernet while I use Wi-fi. When he was in the hospital my internet ran better but when he came back things were a bit slow again, so maybe we were for some reason using up tons of internet. But my bro wasn't downloading anything, no torrents, or whatever, so it seems strange that that would be the case.

However, out of whim, I completely unplugged my Wii U. Ever since then, my internet has been much faster with little complications. I have heard of devices possibly interfering with each other before but since I always had my Wii U plugged in before it's very strange if it would give me problems now. But then again, I am on the new and "improved" xfinity modem so things may be different now.

My Wii U is right next to my desk, on the left side. On the Right side is where my Tower is situated, so they are all around my desk. So far, my internet problems that have plagued me for weeks seemed to have been rectified ever since I unplugged my Wii U. Though to be fair it could only me a temporary fix and since I'm familiar with PC problems I'm sure more problems may arise later but this is a good start.

Any thoughts? Just thought this may be of interest to someone.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Re: Wii U Causing Internet Problems?

Postby Apothem » 01.15.16 8:12pm

Comcast's modem/router combos are unsurprisingly terrible. I've used a Netgear wireless router and adapter for years with my own PC to compensate. You can pickup a decent set for relatively cheap and assuming your modem isn't somehow faulty it can help alleviate a lot of "congestion." In my own household we have one PC and a Roku each tethered to our Netgear as well as my PC, one tablet, and two smartphones connected wirelessly. We frequently also have one or more consoles/handhelds connected. Other than occasional problems on Comcast's end we haven't experienced any slowdown, not even when both I and my brother are downloading or playing online. I've never noticed the Roku to have a significant impact, much less our consoles. We have Comcast's "Triple Play" package with standard 25mbs internet so it's not like out speeds are above average.

If I had to guess I'd say it's your modem. If you're using it as a router than there could be any number of problems, most likely of them all being that it isn't working right because it's a cheap piece of shit Comcast device. We've had to replace our modem multiple times over the years, so faulty hardware is hardly beyond the realm of possibility. Additionally, it could also be IP address conflicts. Your router is supposed to assign these dynamically to anything connected to it, but sometimes it gets confused and one or more devices will slowdown as a result. Resetting the router, or the connected device, usually resolves the conflict but if it persists you can always assign a static address that only a particular device can use. I've had to do that with my PC, though curiously nothing else here has had that problem. Beyond that, unless you have abnormally low internet speed or otherwise unusually poor service then I can only surmise something in your home is sucking up bandwidth. What that could be is beyond me. It's possible, albeit unlikely, that something is physically blocking the wireless signal to your computer. Your new modem/router may be having some odd trouble penetrating some of the material upstairs. The only way to test this, however, would be to bring your setup downstairs and see how it operates.

I've never had bandwidth trouble with my consoles, and pertinent to this conversation I've actually had my Wii U regularly connected to the net over the last month playing Xenoblade Chronicles X. Neither I nor my family have noticed any impact in service during this time. Admittedly, Xenoblade and the Wii U don't use much bandwidth to begin with. XCX has occasionally disconnected from its servers, but reading up on it shows that to be a backend problem, as even when disconnected in-game I can still access the internet via the systems web browser. I've personally never heard of a single console disrupting a household wireless setup so severely as you've described. That's certainly perplexing.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 01.16.16 7:19pm

Yeah Comcast is infuriating.

I have a Netgear: Netgear WNA3100. I thought it was finally breaking (it's pretty old, so it can be a contributing factor) and my brother suspects that the upgrading of the router/modem combined with my old Network Adapter could be giving me problems.

The Modem itself is an xfinity Modem/Router hybrid. This is the first time we've used one of these since before we had a separate modem and router and we were forced to "upgrade".

IP issues is possible. Countless times I've flushed DNS and reset IPs and Winsock for it to work temporarily.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.16.16 8:37pm

I don't quite understand all this technobable but Comcast is awful. I use it and everyone kinda universally hates me because I have bad internet.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.16.16 9:19pm

The worst thing is that Comcast is usually the fastest and relative "best" internet service most people can get, aside from those lucky few with access to some form of fiber-optic connection. The telecoms companies have a veritable monopoly on American - and many other western countries - internet infrastructure which is why average net speeds out west suffer so much. They don't care to invest in better technologies when they have everyone by the short hairs, so instead they waste their money fighting any form of advancement in favor of keeping everyone paying more for less.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion