The Wii U dies this year

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

The Wii U dies this year

Postby Luminoth Prime » 03.22.16 8:03pm

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/03/22/ni ... d-of-year/

Guess that means NX backwards compatibility is a given.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: The Wii U dies this year

Postby Zynux » 03.22.16 9:38pm

No surprise. Sucks for those that bought it this year or last year. I liked my Wii U but it was a colossal bomb, no doubt about that.

NX better have backwards & Wii U Pad compatibility or get ready for the rage.

This generation sucked hard. As for me I highly doubt I will invest in the NX seeing as Nintendo's track record for their home consoles hasn't been great.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 03.23.16 12:37am

No surprise. Sucks for those that bought it this year or last year. I liked my Wii U but it was a colossal bomb, no doubt about that.
This generation sucked hard. As for me I highly doubt I will invest in the NX seeing as Nintendo's track record for their home consoles hasn't been great.
Basically how I feel as well. I got a Wii U for the release of Smash 4 and I don't think there will be any game(s) that will push me to get a NX.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 03.23.16 2:40am

NSMBU, Tropical Freeze, Smash 4, Hyrule Warriors, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X have personally more than justified my purchase.

Then there's Wonderful 101, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 1&2, Pikim 3, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, and Super Mario 3D World that I've been interested in but not enough to yet purchase. Price drops help, though.

Possibly also Splatoon and Pokken Tournament, though those aren't typically my jam.

Plus Star Fox Zero next month and (hopefully) Zelda U by years end.

The Wii U's got a great library, it just isn't very big. Anyone adopting now will have plenty to play. What's more, it's not certain that NX will have Wii U backwards compatibility, and if so what kind. Rumors have long speculated that Nintendo is too significantly deviate from their previous paradigm with NX, and if so than cramming an extra processor therein for proper Wii U compatibility might not be feasible.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 03.23.16 12:58pm

So looks like Nikkei was wrong on this one:

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo- ... this-year/

Nintendo completely denies it, and claims this report did not come from Nintendo.

Though it should be noted that Nintendo PR has denied rumors in the past only for it to come true. The DS LIte is a good example.[1][2]
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 03.23.16 2:40pm

When I heard "Respected Japanese news publication The Nikkei" I assumed that meant it was a reputable source. But now I remember how trustworthy our own "reputable" journalism publications are nowadays, so of course this could be very wrong. Not sure what the current state of Japanese news publications are, though. May have jumped the gun a bit.

The DS Lite situation you bring up, though (never heard of it before) shows that it could still be true. Wouldn't be the first time in recent years that Nintendo ceases production of a piece of hardware prematurely.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 03.23.16 3:00pm

FYI Bayonetta is not in production any longer. Good luck finding a cheap copy. Prices have gone up so Im told. :thumbsdown:
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 03.23.16 3:26pm

When I heard "Respected Japanese news publication The Nikkei" I assumed that meant it was a reputable source. But now I remember how trustworthy our own "reputable" journalism publications are nowadays, so of course this could be very wrong. Not sure what the current state of Japanese news publications are, though. May have jumped the gun a bit.

The DS Lite situation you bring up, though (never heard of it before) shows that it could still be true. Wouldn't be the first time in recent years that Nintendo ceases production of a piece of hardware prematurely.
Nikkei was reliable during the whole Konami fiasco if I recall correctly.

Normally I would say that Nintendo is just damage controlling but now that I think about it it is unusual to cut the life of a console just because a new one is rolling in. Usually they wait a bit so I'm inclined to be believe Nintendo here.

FYI Bayonetta is not in production any longer. Good luck finding a cheap copy. Prices have gone up so Im told. :thumbsdown:
Yeah Bayonetta had very few copies even on launch day. My store only had... 2 or 5 copies?

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 03.23.16 6:58pm

The closest comparison one can draw to the Wii U between Nintendo hardware would the GameCube and that wasn't officially discontinued until 2007. However, the Wii U hasn't done nearly as well as the GameCube in a similar time span. Nintendo may well want to drop it asap and go all in on NX. Until the new system has been properly revealed, if not also on store shelves, they won't want to willingly further dampen their limited Wii U market. That's why they've been so secretive about NX. They're trying to eek out what little is left in their present platform before transitioning over, for as soon as the NX is officially revealed, most people are likely to give up on Wii U entirely in anticipation.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 03.25.16 1:55am

Yeah Bayonetta had very few copies even on launch day. My store only had... 2 or 5 copies?
Not as bad as Devil's Third, last year's third party Wii U exclusive. GameStop only received 420 copies to sell on their online store for the entire U.S.
The closest comparison one can draw to the Wii U between Nintendo hardware would the GameCube and that wasn't officially discontinued until 2007. However, the Wii U hasn't done nearly as well as the GameCube in a similar time span. Nintendo may well want to drop it asap and go all in on NX. Until the new system has been properly revealed, if not also on store shelves, they won't want to willingly further dampen their limited Wii U market. That's why they've been so secretive about NX. They're trying to eek out what little is left in their present platform before transitioning over, for as soon as the NX is officially revealed, most people are likely to give up on Wii U entirely in anticipation.
That's where my head is at as well. Discontinuing the Wii U, especially if there's Wii U backwards compatibility (which is likely), makes sense. The Xbox One and PS4 outsold it in just months, despite the Wii U's head start, and it's not going to catch up. The only game in the future that could still sell units is Zelda U, but I'd think that everyone planning to get it already has a Wii U anyways. And if the NX is cheap, then it makes complete sense to discontinue factory production of the old system.

CrimsonCavalier

Mochtroid

Postby CrimsonCavalier » 05.24.16 10:17am

I think I'm one of the few people that thinks the Wii U was abandoned too early.

Here are some interesting facts:

As of last week (when I did the research), the Wii U had sold 12.5 million units. The XBO had sold about 18 million units.

Now, I know 12.5 is less than 18, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not THAT much less. The XBO has been just as much of a failure as the Wii U, big picture. The PS4 is around 35 million sold.

Instead of just throwing in the towel and announcing the NX 4 years into the Wii U's life, Nintendo should have stuck with the Wii U. It's not a bad console. It has some really phenomenal games on it. It's just a shame they had to do this.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.24.16 4:45pm

They mishandled the Wii U since day 1. Terrible & confusing marketing, so many drought periods of decent games, no decent 3rd party, even some 1st party really lacked.

It makes me angry since I really like this console and have no regrets with it. Being able to play off the TV was so convenient for me you have no idea.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 06.25.16 12:05am

I just want to list the extremely underwhelming, lame, rehashed, franchise-milking and "no one gave a fuck" 1st party Nintendo titles released on the WiiU:
  • TLOZ: Wind Waker HD
  • TLOZ: Twilight Princess HD
  • Dr. Luigi
  • Wii Sports Club
  • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
  • Sing Party
  • Game & Wario
  • Wii Party U
  • New Super Luigi U
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • NES Remix
  • Wii Fit U
  • Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
  • Mario vs DK: Tipping Stars
  • Star Fox Zero
  • 2 Mario & Sonic Games (these games sell???)
+arguably, Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World, but I'd say those get a pass.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.25.16 10:06pm

Nintendo's first party support has been terrible after Brawl came out. In fact, I generally judge Nintendo on pre-Brawl and post-Brawl eras, at least as relevant to my life. I started with the GameCube, and that had the best first-party support of any of Nintendo's platforms.

Every one of their major franchises was supported in some form or another. Mario (Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Double-Dash, Mario Party, all the sports games), Zelda (Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures, OoT/MM ports, Twilight Princess), Metroid (Prime and Prime 2), Kirby (Air Ride), Donkey Kong (Jungle Beat and Konga) F-Zero (GX), Star Fox (Adventures and Assault), Pokémon (Colosseum and X D), Fire Emblem (Path of Radiance), and Super Smash Bros. Melee. But there were also a lot of unique first-party titles, like Chibi-Robo (my personal second-favorite game of all time), Pikmin (1 and 2), Animal Crossing, and Eternal Darkness (made by Silicon Knights, but published by Nintendo).

As for third-party, there were countless multiplatform games that were usually better than on the PlayStation 2 but not as good as on Xbox, though there were a few major GameCube-only titles, like Resident Evil 4, Sonic Adventure, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.

The Wii started out even stronger, with some of Nintendo's best first-party games ever. Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were all, in my opinion, the best games in their respective franchises when they game out (and still believe so, save for Brawl, which Smash 4 surpassed). Essentially, there was a seven-year span of near flawless Nintendo output from 2001-2008, culminating in Brawl.

But after Brawl, the record-breaking success of the Wii began to set in, and quality dipped. Mario Galaxy 2 was pretty much just more of the same but with Yoshi sometimes (an innovation from Super Mario World, so hardly even an innovation in Galaxy 2). There was Other M, which needs no explanation. And then there was Skyward Sword, which was a mixed bag. Other franchises didn't even get anything.

Third-party support was strong, because the sales of the Wii were astronomical, and there are many standout third-party exclusives (like Elebits or the Raving Rabbids games), but for AAA titles, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were both far superior due to their more advanced hardware.

And the Wii U has continued the decline, with even fewer solid games from both Nintendo and other companies. Which is why if Nintendo doesn't have a monster lineup ready on the NX, no matter how good the hardware is, we're never going to return to GameCube-era glory.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.25.16 10:20pm

I'm extremely butthurt over how Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash turned out. You have no idea how much I love the Camelot sports titles.

A lot of games on the Wii U seemed rushed.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion