Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Discuss the 3DS game here!
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.16.15 12:05pm

For those who didn't see, here's the trailer:

On the one hand, I'm happy that we get a sort of spin-off focusing on expanding the Metroid universe in some way. A spin-off from the perspective of Federation Troopers is actually a game I would have liked, but on the other hand, it's the only new Metroid game we have right now. It comes with Metroid Blast Ball if the trailer is to be believed, but there's no "true" Metroid game with Samus. I'm not sure how to feel about this, unless they're going to announce a Metroid game during the Tree House event. What do you all think?

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Postby Xerkxes » 06.16.15 12:12pm

Overall disappointing.

If say.. the had announced "Full" Metroid game, and this? would have been stoaked.
This alone? I honestly wasn't hoping for a chibi shooter game.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 06.16.15 12:38pm

Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.16.15 1:17pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGu3Xe1uUUg

So, take a look at the video's up and down votes.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 06.16.15 1:23pm

Honestly this looks awesome. I love the Galactic Federation and the art style is really cute. I believe that they made this to stall us until we get a bigger Metroid game, I'm hyped actually. I have no idea why everybody is complaining. Definitely getting it. It's also interesting that Samus isn't in it.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.16.15 1:47pm

Honestly this looks awesome. I love the Galactic Federation and the art style is really cute. I believe that they made this to stall us until we get a bigger Metroid game, I'm hyped actually. I have no idea why everybody is complaining. Definitely getting it. It's also interesting that Samus isn't in it.
Bad timing.

After 5 years of waiting, 5 years of fear that the franchise would be lost to time because of the general reception of the previous title. We get something that.. isn't really what the majority of fans was looking for.

The negative reception is entirely disappointment.

The "stall tactics" approach isn't helping. This is something that works with.. Say Zelda right now.
We KNOW they have a main Zelda title is coming, we've seen it, it's been announced, it's official. So the 3-4 side games to come out in the mean time are fine, fun even.

No one would have been this bitter if they had announced a even just a working title of a "real" metroid game, that something is concrete and in developement.
Right now, we got this, a game most metroid fans couldn't care about especially since Prime Hunters was already sub par, and no idea if they're working on anything serious for a real Metroid title.

It does look fun, but the timing for this title's release is off, WAY off.

Hopefully, Nintendo takes this negative feedback as a smack in the face that people want a REAL metroid game.
And to not release games like this when the fanbase of the IP is as shaken as it is.

Viola

Mochtroid

Postby Viola » 06.16.15 1:51pm

[TROLL_MODE_ON]Hey, still better than Other M![TROLL_MODE_OFF]

Seriously though, this spin-off is hopefully anticipating a proper Metroid game in the relatively-near future. Hopefully. This game might even ends up being good.
Still, it wasn't really smart for Nintendo to announce this Metroid game when the entire fanbase was waiting for a proper main title. Massive rage, while undeserved for a mere spin-off, was to be expected.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 06.16.15 2:04pm

The trailer only gives some minor gameplay footage. Sure, the chibi style takes away much of the raw grit that we've grown used to from the Metroid Prime Trilogy but the game could still be something that adds to the Metroid universe rather than subtracts from it.

Honestly, I would prefer to wait for more information to come out before rushing to judgment with MP:FF. What's more, remember how we've talked about how and why Metroid in general has been underselling in a different thread? This could be a move by Nintendo to reel in some fresh blood into our fanbase. I don't hear much about Metroid fans who've started out with Other M so I'm going to off on a limb and say that Other M failed to create a new generation of Metroid fans. Making matters worse is how its controversy pretty much ripped our fanbase apart and quite a few of us have seen that. Since my first game was Metroid Fusion and then Metroid Prime, I don't know what Super Metroid did for the fanbase in order to provide contrast but the point is, I don't think another 8-year hiatus would be favorable. There's also that thing about Metroid Prime being a very special case and I doubt Nintendo would feel at ease trying to replicate its success when it seemed like such a stroke of luck.

At least, though, Nintendo is continuing with the franchise and, well, given the rut we're in, I think we should hope that these games are a success. Having good sales numbers would make it encouraging for Nintendo to keep the franchise rolling. For me, it just needs to be better and do better than Other M and I think we should welcome the new fans coming in. Of course, there's ultimately no guarantee but again, it just needs to do better than Other M.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.16.15 2:12pm

From my understanding, the chibi style is completely due to the troopers being in giant mech suits, so the suits have "different" body proportions. It's the same thing for Blastball, remember the people getting into mechs three times their size? Same thing for the Troopers it seems.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 06.16.15 2:32pm

Next Level Games has a LOT to prove with this title.

1. Doesn't star Samus. I'm fine with troopers. I am fine with multiplayer. Just as long as it's a Metroid game and not an FPS. Co-op exploration and puzzle solving can work.

2. I didn't like Hunters. A LOT. And this looks a LOT like Hunters.

3. Graphically, it looks like a DS title. That's a disgrace, especially after Luigi's Mansion 2. You don't put a hardcore realistic game with this style and this low detail. There's a reason there was no Metroid on GBC.

4. Character designs look like Hunters. I hope the voice acting isn't terrible.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 06.16.15 2:38pm

So it's like Metroid ODST :awesome: watch Nintendo declare the Metroid series dead if this game doesn't sell well.

ZebesBound

Alpha Metroid

Postby ZebesBound » 06.16.15 2:54pm

Because nothing says "Metroid" like 4 player co-op FPS and space soccer!

I don't see how this can have any positive impact on the franchise. If they wanted to actually help promote the series for an upcoming game, this isn't the way to do it. It feels more like they're just slapping the Metroid name onto it for easy promotion- Nintendo has done this many times before.

Viola

Mochtroid

Postby Viola » 06.16.15 3:20pm

Here's my new theory: this is actually how Nintendo is trying to bring the Metroid fanbase back together after Other M.
Obviously by giving everyone a common thing to hate! You can't deny that this is an ingenious tactic.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 06.16.15 4:15pm

As soon as i saw this i said to myself. Looks like they are redoing MP Hunters.

Nice to see I'm not the only one in that way of thinking.

At least there won't be a lot of promo stuff to get....I hope.

This kinda makes me even more bitter. We've been waiting years for a new game to the series and they give us this.
what's next? Metroid basketball?

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 06.16.15 4:23pm

@ Xerkxes I agree I probably would enjoy this if there was a mainline Metroid game launching alongside of it. I have a friend who isn't as into Metroid as me and they love this since they enjoy anything co-op, but I can't muster the same vigor.

@ Xandalf I agree that the art style is nice, but the textures look very muddy and low res. As CapCom said this looks like a DS game as opposed to a 3DS game.

@ The AccursedHunter01 I figured the art style would have to do with Mii's. Like you are the soldier you are playing, but that may be putting more thought there than what is actually going on.

@ CapCom

1. I'm fine with all of that as well, but the next Prime game has to be an FPS. It can't be a lock on diet FPS like Prime was. FPS games have gotten better and more precise in response to controller inputs since the early console FPS days of the N64 and the GC, PS2, and Xbox era, and the slow and sluggish Prime combat would only show the game can't grow or get better from what Prime 1 did already. I am not saying the Prime games have to be mindless FPS games, but rather they have to be great FPS games with great platforming, great puzzle solving, and great exploring elements too.

The next TRUE Prime game must be a Master of all type of game (in other words a masterpiece), and not some kind of good at many things master of none type of game. Prime 1's FPS play was such a step up from the N64's FPS games like Goldeneye and Turok, and since Prime the controls in FPS games have gotten better in how player movement and aiming works, and Prime 4 needs to follow suit cause Prime's movement and aiming don't reflect Samus' agile and powerhouse kind of body movement. In short I want to be able to run and shoot and not have to rely on lock on. I shouldn't feel like I can run circles backwards around Samus.

2. I cannot comment on hunters cause I have never been able to bring myself to finish another Prime game since 1.

3. Agree on this. All of it.

4. I am gonna assume there is no VA at all.

@ Meta Ridley Nothing about this feels like ODST to me. I get where you are coming from MC = Samus, and Fedie Troops = ODST, but a more accurate analogy would be Fedie Troops = Halo Marines. There really isn't a Fedie to ODST equivalent. Also I doubt this game will have the kind of atmosphere ODST had. When I launched ODST for the first time and heard the musical score I knew Marty O'Donnell would win an award for the score, and sure enough he did. The score + the dark, rainy, and over all alone and depressing atmosphere of New Mombasa in ruins felt more Metroid to me than Prime did, and I am not getting that feeling from MP:FF (but I would love to be wrong).

@ ZebesBound I don't think it will have one either. I feel like this wont sell well, and then Nintendo will just go "nobody likes Metroid so we really shouldn't be developing it).

@ Viola A common thing to hate? That was already Other M.

@ VGMStudios I would play Metroid Basketball, but only if Samus is 6' 3". Nobody wants 5' 1" Samus playing Basketball.
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Return to “%s” Metroid Prime Federation Force