Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Discuss the 3DS game here!
Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Postby Xerkxes » 08.26.16 12:19am

Happy days.

Some what tangent story revolving around Federation Force.

Sister got it for me as an early birthday present today (knowing I'm a die-hard fan).
Was pleased to receive it, only to be painfully reminded that my New 3DS was busted. It would turn on, but freeze on a nudge or even pushing a button, or sometimes not even boot at all and I'd have to wait for the power to die for it to shut off. But my girlfriend had an older 3DS that I could use, but I always hated the tiny screen and it never felt right to use hers.
The issue just started one day, used it in the morning and went for a walk outside on a stupid hot day and it simply started doing this. I figured it was the heat and that it might have melted something inside.

I was hoping too get my busted New 3DS to at least start so I can scan my Amiiboss.. but found it was actually acting stable, like I can smack it and it won't freeze.
It's been months, almost a year since I could actively use it.

Federation Force Revived my 3DS! (probably not, a guess would be either a loose piece that has fallen back into place, or it was a software bug that has been resolved with an update).

Edit:
How do you get the Drones for Solo play? I don't see the option for them anywhere.

Never mind. Found it.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Postby Will Keaton » 08.26.16 8:43pm

Does the ancient race that lived on Bion ever get a name? Or is a reason given why they invented their enlarging technology and used it on themselves? Or why they went extinct?
Everyone dies. It is the final and only lasting Justice - Boba Fett

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 08.27.16 9:25pm

So I got this game last week and have so far beaten the first three missions.

The game plays and feels more like Metroid than I expected. I didn't really see too much prerelease footage, so I didn't exactly know what I'd be getting. The actual gameplay--moving and shooting things--feels fantastic, with the ability to both hard-lock and soft-lock onto targets being a really nice change, compared to the Prime 3/Trilogy controls of only being able to do one or the other (and in some instances only soft). I hope future Prime games keep this control scheme. The traditional doors you need to shoot came as a surprise. The environments are very Metroid, if only because they're very similar to Prime 1 environments. The ice/snow world is like Phendrana Drifts, but just substitute Space Pirate infrastructure with the GF instead. The magma/lava world was pretty much invented by Metroid and is kind of getting redundant. And the industrial/mechanical world feels like Tallon IV's Chozo Ruins meets Elysium, if that makes any sense.

The graphics are also rather impressive, I suppose. Everything looks detailed and interesting. The chibi style is indeed this game's own worst enemy, though. Obviously on a small 240p screen, it might work, but it doesn't fit Metroid and just makes everything look goofy. If it had gone for a more traditional Prime style I can see that things would be much improved.

Going to keep going over the weeks and see how things progress.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 08.28.16 2:01pm

Just delivered today.
I played just 1 mission so far and I gotta say expectations have been surpassed. I'll put some more time into it and give more thoughts on it later. Hoping to do 4 player missions at some point since I feel that is truly how you can get the best experience out of this game.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Postby Will Keaton » 08.28.16 6:49pm

How exactly did the pirates get a metroid egg? Do they have a queen somewhere? Because if they don't then there is no way to get an egg. Then at the end we see some dude hatch the egg. Which SHOULD mean that the metroid has imprinted on him and thinks he's his mom. Which kind of makes the end of Metroid 2 less unique. I mean, prior to this we had thought that the metroid imprinting on Samus was a thing that has only happened to her, but it feels a lot less special now knowing that some guy already did it.

Zevroid

Metroid

Postby Zevroid » 08.29.16 7:15pm

How exactly did the pirates get a metroid egg? Do they have a queen somewhere? Because if they don't then there is no way to get an egg. Then at the end we see some dude hatch the egg. Which SHOULD mean that the metroid has imprinted on him and thinks he's his mom. Which kind of makes the end of Metroid 2 less unique. I mean, prior to this we had thought that the metroid imprinting on Samus was a thing that has only happened to her, but it feels a lot less special now knowing that some guy already did it.
A Space Pirate log mentions that a Metroid apparently imprinted on him (though he doesn't understand the situation). As for the "some dude" in the final ending, some think it might be Sylux. Probably because of the shot we get of "it's" shoulder armor having a similar design to Sylux's. Also, there has never been any reason to assume that the Hatchling imprinting on Samus was supposed to be some unique, special thing that only happened to her. The Space Pirates were in possession of Metroids for ages, how would they, or anyone else, not discover that Metroids imprint on the first creature they perceive as their parent?

The Space Pirates had entire cells full of Metroid eggs during Corruption. It's not unreasonable to assume that they managed to save a few beforehand. But at some point their supply of Metroids has to be exhausted, otherwise the Hatchling being the last Metroid doesn't work.

Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Postby Will Keaton » 08.29.16 8:53pm

It may not be unique anymore, but at the time when Metroid 2 came out the hatchling imprinting on Samus was unique. I guess that's just the result of having a bunch of prequels.

The fact that pirates also had eggs in Corruption doesn't really change anything. There are 2 ways to get metroids. Exposure to a certain radiation to cause them to mioticly divide, or having a queen lay the eggs. The ship the pirates raided prior to metroid I only had regular "young" metroids. This means that either the pirates went to SR388 and took some eggs from a queen there, or they allowed one of the metroids to become a full grown queen and lay eggs. If the later is the case, then that means the pirates still have a queen out there somewhere.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 08.30.16 5:31pm

Imprinting isn't unique to Samus. In Other M the GF somehow knew about it, probably through Samus, and built MB a body that would give it the opportunity to do so. Medaline explained to Samus that the GF wanted a method of taming metroids that was, to quote "Not based on dominance or control". They probably made her look like Samus (I still remember people thinking she was somehow related to Samus back during the reveals) to increase the odds of imprinting.

Otherwise how did the Space Pirate never figure out Imprinting? Maybe it's in how they treat them, or Beta-ray produced ones don't imprint. Reading logs a lot of them are not exactly nice to Metroids, and the ones that might be are scorned for doing so (prime 1 log that specifically prohibits feeding metroids), especially in prime two, there was a room that showcased a bunch of different "stress tests" done on Metroids.
The imprint doesn't necessarily infallible, as in Super Metroid the Infant DID seem to forget who Samus was, had Samus been a weaker creatures like a Pirate, she probably wouldn't have survived the attack.
I imagine their also overly cautious around Metroids. They probably don't have one individual handling hatching. As far as we can tell Metroid's can't imprint on more than one creature, so even if it imprinted on One Pirate, it likely have attacked the other, leaving the Imprintee to likely assault baby metroid which might dismiss the imprint.

But, on another subject.
Things I can say, as a solo player, that I'm not liking about the game so far.

A couple boss and environment hazards being instant kill.
Working down a boss over a period of time can be frustrating to get instantly killed, especially when you didn't know that the game even had instant kills.

Mods breaking on quit or death, I understand on quit to prevent people from ditching out during online... but in Soloplay?.
First time I had discovered this I had loaded into a mission, realize I'd forgotten my drones, quit to go get them only to find one of my mods destroyed.

Timer for getting bonus points is awefully short (again, solo play perspective).
Did the first mission and found out speedy play gets you points. So after coming back with drones (didn't have them the first time) and two mod slots and even using side-hopping to move faster, I still wasn't fast enough on my own to complete the mission for bonus points. Been relying entirely on Missile and Charge shot kills to get enough points to just get rank 2, if that, on mission.

Anything that pins you reduces your points: when your surrounded by them, by yourself, that tends to happen a lot.

General things I'm a little annoyed with.
Painfully slow projectile speeds. Gyroscope aiming I don't find as bad as many people are claiming, but the projectile speeds of basically all weapons I find are painfully slow.

I mean, yeah, I'm playing the game "wrong". It's a MP game (ha.. It's a MP MP game.), but still none-the-less irritating qualities.

Don't get me wrong, still enjoying it, but just my gripes as someone who LIKES to play by myself. I just feel all the above could have been handled a little better for solo play.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 08.30.16 10:55pm

I did get to see a bit of this (albeit an earlier version) when I started testing at Nintendo. The reviews I've seen don't seem to imply that much has changed in terms of gameplay or general "flavor". Nonetheless, as a Metroid fan, I do feel a tiny bit guilty for not owning a copy. But since money's really tight and I'm pretty lukewarm to it, whether or not I end up with a copy is going to come down to the charity of others this time. I'm not seeing anything that makes me say "I NEED TO GO OUT AND GET THIS NAO."
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Dartison

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dartison » 09.01.16 1:45pm

It is said that Nintendo sold less than 5,000 copies of Federation Force in Japan during its opening week. They didn't even touch the Top 20 Japanese Software chart.

Return to “%s” Metroid Prime Federation Force