General pre-release discussion

Discuss anything about Samus Returns here!
Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

General pre-release discussion

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.13.17 12:11pm

They're doing a remake of Metroid II on the 3DS, too! Launching September 15, 2017.

It's also getting a special edition physical release, with a neat special case and an included soundtrack called the "Samus Archives."

Here's the special edition: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 3573442560

Additionally, there will be two accompanying Amiibo released. One of a Metroid breaking out of a tube (and the Metroid is squishy!), as well as a new Samus Amiibo in the Metroid II boxart pose. Pretty cool!

Here's the Amiibo: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 4120520704

Lastly, here's the full 50 minute reveal from the Nintendo Treehouse stream, which revealed everything above:

Last edited by Luminoth Prime on 06.13.17 5:06pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Chris

Kraid

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns

Postby Chris » 06.13.17 12:32pm

Explains why they wanted to shut down AM2R so fast.

To be honest, the graphics look really underwhelming, I thought 3DS was capable of a lot more, RE: Revelations comes to mind. Will still pick it up as I've never managed to get far with the original game.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.13.17 12:56pm

Updated the OP with a trailer and additional information just revealed in the Treehouse demonstration.

The special edition looks really neat, so I guess I'll be picking that up. Along with the Amiibo. ON TOP of everything else that Nintendo's putting out this year.

The graphics could look better, but I think they're serviceable for what they are. Not sure how I feel about Samus's design, but I think it's limited by the 3DS's incredibly low resolution. Definitely better than whatever that weird avant garde design from Next Level Games was about, though.

I also realized that the title is kind of clever. "Samus Returns," as in "Samus wasn't in Federation Force, but now she's back." Still, this was the game they should've released last year, then have the Metroid Prime 4 announcement, followed by the announcement of Federation Force. That would've gone over so much better.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.13.17 1:07pm

I was so sure there would be no Metroid this year once again, yet Nintendo delivered more than I could have ever hoped for. 2 Metroid games announced, one is Prime the other 2D on top of Shaq Fu and Bubsy of all things, this year has gotten ridiculous. The release date of just a few months makes me very happy. Pre orders aren't up for the special edition right now but I'm going to jump on that immediately once it is. Those amiibo are pretty awesome too. Only complaints are the graphics as already mentioned, but I believe Samus' Zero Suit STILL has high heels. When the player on stream died I'm sure it looked that way and I don't like that. That's minor though, this game looks like everything I had hoped for with melee counters and new special Aeion abilities that are apparently mystical in nature. Maybe this could lead to something with Super Metroid where the Chozo stuff is expanded upon? I'm sort of hesitant to think that Nintendo will touch Super though because of its "Greatest Game of All Time" status.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 06.13.17 2:21pm

Stickied. <3
Here comes the huge influx of users that happens once ever 5 or so years. :awesome:
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 06.13.17 2:41pm

I'm pretty disappointed with the visuals for this game. 2.5D is very difficult to get right, and the animations seem either floaty or clunky most of the time. The fact that it's being made by the Lords of Shadow guys doesn't help. After the near masterpiece that was AM2R this is just underwhelming.
That being said, I'll be buying it anyway regardless of my better judgement because HOLY SHIT TWO NEW METROID GAMES
Hello.

The Illustrative Man

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Postby The Illustrative Man » 06.13.17 2:41pm

Explains them shitting on AM2R.

Shame it is on the 3DS - I will likely own a Switch at some point, but I definitely will not be buying a 3DS.

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 06.13.17 3:33pm

Visuals are a little underwhelming, but the environments look alright. Still, the gameplay looks fun! I love the agility and the new melee counter system. Makes me wonder if any kind of physical combat will be incorporated into Prime 4? Still, this is a real treat. An official remake of Metroid 2. Speaking of which, I still need to finish AM2R...

Also, it just occurred to me, assuming a new Smash rolls around, they could legitimately give Samus a counter now.
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 06.13.17 3:58pm

Visuals are a little underwhelming, but the environments look alright. Still, the gameplay looks fun! I love the agility and the new melee counter system. Makes me wonder if any kind of physical combat will be incorporated into Prime 4? Still, this is a real treat. An official remake of Metroid 2. Speaking of which, I still need to finish AM2R...

Also, it just occurred to me, assuming a new Smash rolls around, they could legitimately give Samus a counter now.
I suggest finishing AM2R, it's phenomenal. As for Smash counters, I think we have enough of those as is in the current game.
Hello.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 06.13.17 4:07pm

Explains them shitting on AM2R.

Shame it is on the 3DS - I will likely own a Switch at some point, but I definitely will not be buying a 3DS.

Really? Used ones are <$100 now. If only to play Samus Returns I'd buy one. Heck, I'd let you borrow mine if you lived close by ;)

As for the game itself, let the comparisons between it and AM2R begin. Gotta wonder if there was a discussion at Nintendo to mothball SR after AM2R was released. You know they at least saw the game, if they didn't play it, and had to know just how freaking good it was. Maybe they didn't bat an eye, I don't know. Regardless, I'm thrilled that this game is coming and will absolutely invest in the SE, Amiibos, and whatever else N slaps a :s-logo: on.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 06.13.17 4:21pm

Unfortunately it looks like they didn't even look at it, because they seem to not have included many of the quality of life improvements AM2R made like a dedicated morph ball button.
Hello.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 06.13.17 4:54pm

Take a deep breath. Relax... Now exhale gently...

Yeah, I'll be getting a 3DS just for this. Or that new 2DS if I come across one since I won't be using the 3D feature either way. It would explain why AM2R got struck down as quickly as it did.
Comparisons between AM2R and the Samus Returns will be inevitable but honestly, I'm happy to have both. Might be getting a little ahead of myself talking like I already know it's good but oh well. Graphics aside, it does look promising.

I still can't believe this is actually happening. I was pretty sure E3 was going to be another non-event. Moving forward, it'll be interesting to see in the coming years how this moment in time will be recorded into the history of the Metroid franchise.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.13.17 5:02pm

EDIT: Updated the OP with the Treehouse stream where the game was revealed, with Sakamoto himself. I wasn't even watching it, until my friend texted me and said "Holy crap. TWO METROID GAMES" and I tuned in immediately. In all honesty, the Treehouse demo kind of went on for too long, especially at the end when the player kept struggling to beat the boss, but it's some solid uncut gameplay and commentary straight from Nintendo.

AM2R was in development for about a decade. Samus Returns has probably been in development for over a year or two. That Nintendo didn't cease and desist AM2R prior to its finished release (especially as soon as Samus Returns started development) again leads me to believe that they wanted to let it be finished, but still didn't want it actively competing with this game. Because AM2R was pretty high-profile for years, with a countdown timer to its release and everything, so there's no way Nintendo wasn't aware of it.

I don't think they're really meant to compete with each other, though. Both games took different approaches to the same base and came out with something different. Samus Returns seems to have opted for a more actiony 2.5D design, taking some lessons learned from Other M's gameplay and trimming what didn't work, while AM2R was focused on improving different things (can't say much, because I still haven't played it yet). They probably didn't take what AM2R did into consideration, since they want their version to stand on its own and not be seen as copying what's already been done.

The parry is definitely something new and unexpected. Can't say I ever expected Dark Souls in my Metroid.

Definitely going to pick up Metroid II on the eShop, beat it, then AM2R (I planned on doing this last year, but forgot), and then get into Samus Returns in three months. Then I'll be able to really evaluate everything.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.13.17 6:04pm

Was anybody able to catch the music in the game? I heard that the intro area where samus' ship is has been remixed as well as Metroid Prime item jingles and what sounded like Magmoor Caverns at once point, but I wasn't able to pick up much else.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.13.17 6:08pm

Was anybody able to catch the music in the game? I heard that the intro area where samus' ship is has been remixed as well as Metroid Prime item jingles and what sounded like Magmoor Caverns at once point, but I wasn't able to pick up much else.
You can probably hear the music better in the Treehouse demo. I didn't pay too much attention, but what I noticed and from what was commentated on, it's pretty good. It'd have to be if they're bundling a soundtrack with it.

EDIT:

Return to “%s” Metroid: Samus Returns