She Controls Like A Dream

Need help or assistance with Samus Returns? This is the place.

*****PLEASE MARK YOUR SPOILERS!!!*****
Ridley Scott

Egg

She Controls Like A Dream

Postby Ridley Scott » 09.15.17 7:12pm

I have to say, this is probably the best Samus has controlled yet. So fluid, not too floaty or quick a la Super or Zero Mission respectively. They also, much to my joy, did not neuter the bomb jump. In fact, I think they've made it a bit easier. I've been bomb jumping my way to expansions before I'm meant to get them. Not exactly sequence-breaking, since they're only expansions, but it's still enjoyable to sort of beat the system so to speak.

Anyone else have any impressions so far?

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Re: She Controls Like A Dream

Postby fs_feedback » 09.18.17 7:58pm

You and I seem to be alone in feeling the controls are good. The only things I loathe are the scan pulse being up on the D-Pad, and for whatever reason the touch screen morphball feels less responsive than when I played it at the Bestbuy event that Nintendo did, and so much so that I just got used to pressing the circle pad down twice. I don't know if the New 3DS I got (Samus Returns Edition) has a improved circle pad, but it was awesome to use. I had no delay, and everything I wanted was still there. I don't care much for having to touch the screen for beam/missile select, but that is because I hate getting fingerprints on the screen, but I love being able to turn the Ice Beam off.

I could run and aim diagonally with the circle pad and it proved no issue for myself. I had no issue free aiming with it either. The circle pad/free aim I feel was a massive improvement over the old style of aiming, and that is coming from an L R button purist.
Run and gunning on a boss like the Diggernaught was easy, and wielded a huge advantage on hitting the purple orbs and getting health/missiles back.
The animation for the free aim was really well done. Honestly all the animations for Samus were fantastic. I would put them up there with animation improvements like Snake had in MGSV. I really like the detail on one animation in particular and that it when you crouch and shoot, and after a small amount of time Samus shifts the position of her leg and brings it closer (like she is getting into a more comfortable crouched position).

I loved the grapple beam being activated by aiming at an appropriate object. They made the wall jump and bomb jump super easy, and I miss the single wall jumps, but the Spiderball takes care of that, and the fact that map doesn't really have many areas to take advantage of such a technique to begin with.

The Melee Counter was also awesome, but I wish it had some variation in use/encounters with it. Like it would be cool if some enemies could only be killed by freezing and hitting them with it. I thought it would be also cool if the enemies that spin into a ball and roll at you had to be hit twice with it. Like you hit the creature and then it ricochets off the surface back at you and then you have to hit it again.

The other common things like jumping, drop time, and speed were all pretty solid too.
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 09.18.17 10:48pm

Like it would be cool if some enemies could only be killed by freezing and hitting them with it. I thought it would be also cool if the enemies that spin into a ball and roll at you had to be hit twice with it. Like you hit the creature and then it ricochets off the surface back at you and then you have to hit it again.
You mean like if certain enemies could only be killed by freezing them and then smashing them, right? Because you can kill frozen enemies with the melee. I'm assuming you mean it would be interesting if you specifically have to do that? Sorry if I misunderstood.

The second idea... playing ping pong with a wall sounds hilarious. XD

I actually do agree with you guys though. I think this is the best Samus has ever moved, although there are a couple nitpicks I have. Mainly that the Morph Ball is rather slow, and that you can't wall jump in a confined vertical tunnel, or climb using a single wall (they went with Fusion's wall jump physics where you launch away from the wall). Oh, well... Other than that, though, she feels so great to control. I actually took to the circle pad just fine. But maybe because that's because I've gotten used to playing Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion on the Wii U virtual console with the joystick.

Also, have you guys learned the new trick with the Power Bomb? It's where you cling to a wall using Spider Ball, then lay a Power Bomb to launch yourself like a rocket? I basically see it as the new Shinespark. lol
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 09.19.17 1:35am

Like it would be cool if some enemies could only be killed by freezing and hitting them with it. I thought it would be also cool if the enemies that spin into a ball and roll at you had to be hit twice with it. Like you hit the creature and then it ricochets off the surface back at you and then you have to hit it again.
You mean like if certain enemies could only be killed by freezing them and then smashing them, right? Because you can kill frozen enemies with the melee. I'm assuming you mean it would be interesting if you specifically have to do that? Sorry if I misunderstood.

The second idea... playing ping pong with a wall sounds hilarious. XD

I actually do agree with you guys though. I think this is the best Samus has ever moved, although there are a couple nitpicks I have. Mainly that the Morph Ball is rather slow, and that you can't wall jump in a confined vertical tunnel, or climb using a single wall (they went with Fusion's wall jump physics where you launch away from the wall). Oh, well... Other than that, though, she feels so great to control. I actually took to the circle pad just fine. But maybe because that's because I've gotten used to playing Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion on the Wii U virtual console with the joystick.

Also, have you guys learned the new trick with the Power Bomb? It's where you cling to a wall using Spider Ball, then lay a Power Bomb to launch yourself like a rocket? I basically see it as the new Shinespark. lol
Yeah I thought it would be cool if it required a melee hit on the frozen enemy to kill some of them. The combat is great in this game, and it has great room to improve. Just make some of it a little less repetitive. Variations would be nice on enemy combat, but I do like that the enemies actually attack instead of being a wall and ceiling decoration. Well I mean some enemies attack in the Metroid series, but it is nice to see the indigenous creatures of the planet being so hostile in the areas that they have made home.

I saw in another thread that the Ice Beam/Melee counter was OP, but It isn't any more op than Ice Beam/Missiles, or an actual melee counter plus the damage boost. On the subject of missiles this is the first game I really found myself using these on enemies and not just bosses.
Yeah I found the Powerbomb trick. I did a 100% run my first playthrough.
I did have a bug though where a missile tank requiring said trick actually vanished. It came back later and by later I mean during my final item clean up, but I thought for a second the game screwed me out of getting 100% and that would have sucked cause I was already on what was close to my second playthrough due to the 3DS data transfer taking a dump on all my saves. On a semi-non metroid topic I am glad my Pokemon saves were on the cart, and not saved to the 3DS. Also I was able to get my ambassador program and Metroid Fusion back.

Here is a picture of the glitch though. You can see the map shows a missile tank is to my right in the alcove, but the missile tank is missing on the game screen. It came back later during a final clean up though.
Attachments
Metroid Missile.jpg
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 09.30.17 6:26pm

Same thing happened to me but in a different area. Seems Power Bombs can destroy missile tanks and whatnot. It was fixed after I restarted my save file.
MSR_gamebug.png
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Return to “%s” MSR Gameplay Discussion