Why so much Ridley and so little Kraid?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Why so much Ridley and so little Kraid?

Postby Taelin Aurel » 07.12.09 2:12pm

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I did a search but never saw anything on it.

Looking back at the original Metroid, Kraid was the harder of the two mini-bosses (Kraid and Ridley). What is the speculation saying why Ridley became such an iconic Metroid character while Kraid has been relegated to the dust bin? SM Kraid was ginormous but pathetically easy. Ridley appeared in several other games afterword. Just a question that has been floating around in my head...

Redwing

Super Metroid

Re: Why so much Ridley and so little Kraid?

Postby Redwing » 07.12.09 2:45pm

Space dragons get around more. How are they supposed to transport Kraid around fast enough to catch up with Samus? They need like, 5 cranes just to get him in a huge, lumbering cargo transport. Ridley could fly on his own XD

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 07.12.09 3:04pm

Kraid is a native species to Zebes. Yes, they all died in Super Metroid.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Silver Skree

Anonymous

Postby Silver Skree » 07.12.09 4:09pm

Darth Naner wrote:Kraid is a native species to Zebes.

Um, no. Bryyo. Imported by Space Pirates.

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 07.12.09 5:31pm

Silver Skree wrote:

Wait, really? Was that a scan in Prime 3? Where was Kraid in Bryyo then?

I feel gullible.

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 07.12.09 5:33pm

Still, as many threads have pointed out, Ridley continues to return from the grave time and again. Why couldn't or wouldn't Kraid? As much as I like Ridley, I feel game developers have not given Kraid some of the respect he could deserve.

Sylux

Anonymous

Postby Sylux » 07.12.09 5:53pm

Redwing wrote:
Silver Skree wrote:

Wait, really? Was that a scan in Prime 3? Where was Kraid in Bryyo then?

I feel gullible.

Fan theory, inspired by the kraid-like statues on Bryyo and the fact that the plantlife of thorn jungle looks similar to kraid's lair in Super.

Taelin Aurel wrote:Still, as many threads have pointed out, Ridley continues to return from the grave time and again. Why couldn't or wouldn't Kraid? As much as I like Ridley, I feel game developers have not given Kraid some of the respect he could deserve.

At this point, I'd say that immortality has become Ridley's calling card. Wouldn't be right to toss it around willy-nilly now that its been associated with a particular (and very memorable) character. This wasn't true until after Super, but it is now.

Outlaw

Anonymous

Postby Outlaw » 07.12.09 7:19pm

Well if Ridley is in Other M, I would have to say he has immortality.

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 07.12.09 10:55pm

Well, we know he's alive at least until Fusion, but I'm not sure about after that, since he was infected by the X.
i like it when people sig me

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 07.13.09 5:49am

Outlaw wrote:Well if Ridley is in Other M, I would have to say he has immortality.

He is in the trailer. I think Other M will explain how Ridley got to the BSL's freezer.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Jais

Alpha Metroid

Postby Jais » 07.13.09 7:23am

That is a good point.
I've always preferred Kraid ahead of Ridley, and I think it's a shame that he hasn't been in as many games as him.
I hope that Kraid will be in M:OM. Or that Retro Studios add Kraid in the Phazon Mines in Prime when they re-release it. But, that's just wishful-thinking...

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 07.13.09 8:01am

Jais wrote:I hope that Kraid will be in M:OM. Or that Retro Studios add Kraid in the Phazon Mines in Prime when they re-release it. But, that's just wishful-thinking...

I find both possibilities unprobable. Kraid might be in Other M, but it's doubtful. He certainly won't be in Prime, since it is just a re-release. And I'm pretty sure Retro has nothing or little to do with the Trilogy: It seems Nintendo is doing all the adaptation. I might be wrong, though.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 07.13.09 8:36am

They should at least include Kraid in a flashback in Other M, but they probably won't.
i like it when people sig me

Jais

Alpha Metroid

Postby Jais » 07.13.09 11:30am

Darth Naner wrote:
Jais wrote:I hope that Kraid will be in M:OM. Or that Retro Studios add Kraid in the Phazon Mines in Prime when they re-release it. But, that's just wishful-thinking...

I find both possibilities unprobable. Kraid might be in Other M, but it's doubtful. He certainly won't be in Prime, since it is just a re-release. And I'm pretty sure Retro has nothing or little to do with the Trilogy: It seems Nintendo is doing all the adaptation. I might be wrong, though.

That is why I mentioned that it was just wishful-thinking.

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 07.13.09 5:15pm

I'm just saying that they could pimp out Kraid in a similar manner as they did with Ridley. I mean, come on can you imagine? O_O "OMG!!!! Gojira!!!!" Then Kraid responds, "Naw, Samus... its just me, Kraid. Have a bone spur/thorn/projectile from the chest to the face" POW x_x

Make him fast or have him be able to attack like a croc or something other than just act as target practice.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic