Why so much Ridley and so little Kraid?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
LesserChozo

Re: Why so much Ridley and so little Kraid?

Postby LesserChozo » 06.18.12 2:41pm

I'm imagining the possibilities of a Kraid fight similar to the Shadow of the Colossus bosses, one in which you have to literally climb up his scaley hide to reach his eyes.
I think a lot of people want that. :thumbsup: :kraid:
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

gbf2000

Hatchling

Postby gbf2000 » 01.09.15 5:37am

Ridley is the commander of the Space Pirates and Samus seeks revenge on him. I think that's enough reasons. :ridley: :kraid:
"I'd rather die than lose my life" - Someone

sith

Alpha Metroid

Postby sith » 02.12.15 4:11pm

Ridley is the commander of the Space Pirates and Samus seeks revenge on him. I think that's enough reasons. :ridley: :kraid:
Before 2002, Mother Brain was the ruler of the Space Pirates and the big bad of Metroid. Ridley's importance is a retcon. I miss both Kraid and Mother Brain.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 06.27.15 6:18pm

I like Ridley, and I don't mind him reappearing all of the time. Similar to how Samus loses her upgrades constantly, it happens in nearly every game but still makes sense. Ridley was one of the three bosses in the original Metroid, and I guess it seems that the developers favored Ridley. Most people would think a flying, immortal space dragon is way cooler than an obese lizard who shoots it's limbs at you, and a creepy brain that sits in a glass container waiting to be shot anyway.

But I like Kraid. I think he's more creative than Ridley, and his size was crazy in Super Metroid. Personally I believe that Ridley got so much attention because he had wings and was more agile, making him more fitting to raid the Ceres Station. Also Kraid was legitimately fought much earlier, which showed that he might have been weaker. I think that Ridley's importance in Super Metroid made him more popular. Then when Kraid was removed in Prime they started forgetting about him. Just my two cents though.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 06.27.15 6:34pm

Kraid doesn't have much versatility as a boss fight, he has limited movement due to size, and a boss room big enough for him would be nuts, especially on GCN/Wii. Of course, with the next real MP likely being on the NC we could get a proper Kraid boss fight. I look forward to having dialogue options with him:
"If I shoot your mouth will you die?
"It would be extremely painful."
"You're a big boss. "
"For you."
Hello.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.28.15 4:35am

I want at least one 3D Kraid fight and see how it's pulled off in such an environment. Moreso curiosity in how they tackle the fight more then anything else. Like Ridley, he should have at least gotten into Metroid Prime to showcase a 3D Kraid fight.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 06.28.15 11:32am

Although not canon we technically do have a 3D Kraid boss.
I don't know about you but I want more Mother Brain too. She's the main villain of the series and only appeared a few times. Ridley's starting to take over her position now, even though he never really has been a final boss.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 06.28.15 1:21pm

At least Kraid got in Smash earlier than Ridley :P

I also found this on accident and thought it was funny

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.28.15 9:35pm

Although not canon we technically do have a 3D Kraid boss.
I don't know about you but I want more Mother Brain too. She's the main villain of the series and only appeared a few times. Ridley's starting to take over her position now, even though he never really has been a final boss.
In Other M, if MB was a true final boss, they should have had her maybe trying to recreate a organic computer similar to Mother Brain or something instead of just a point-and-click Android "fight."
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 09.02.15 4:44pm

Probably has been pointed out earlier, but I think one reason Kraid doesn't appear often is because of his weight. A flying, maneuverable dragon could easily travel from planet to planet. Kraid would probably break the biggest ship they have to carry him. I think he stays at Brinstar and waits/guards, rather than Ridley who is constantly going out and killing things.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic