Whats your favorite 2D Metroid and Why?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mushroom Hopper

Zeta Metroid

Re: Whats your favorite 2D Metroid and Why?

Postby Mushroom Hopper » 09.06.10 2:58am

If I had to pick I would say Fusion, though I LOVE the classic trilogy. Zero Mission is good too, but I much prefer the original.

CaptainPens

Egg

Postby CaptainPens » 09.08.10 9:27pm

Super Metroid would have to be my favorite 2D Metroid game. I like it mainly for the amazing atmosphere that each area of the game has, and the fact that you can turn your power-ups on and off whenever you want, which isn't present in Metroid games today unfortunately.

And it was the first Metroid game I ever played, and I have lots of good memories with it too.

In fact, I still have the exact same cartridge of Super Metroid I used to play on my Super Nintendo (which I don't have anymore).

So yeah, Super Metroid is my favorite 2D Metroid game, by far.
Kraul wrote:Pics or it didn't happen

Smoking Spoon

Omega Metroid

Postby Smoking Spoon » 09.10.10 6:06am

Metroid II and Super Metroid

Both are good moment of my childhood, Metroid II was so creepy, the metroid always made me drop the gameboy . I was mesmerized by metroid, and the no dialog nowhere, creepy music, vast world, , and I remember my older brother always doing the first part of super metroid for me ( Space station/Ridley/ Escape ) Because It was impossible to do for me, the explosion and timer in the corner stressed me too much, but now I'm maybe 2-3 times better at any game vs my bro :awesome: . Anyway , zero & fusion are great great too.
Here's 3 of my game in progress if you're interrested (1) (2) (3)

Click here ->O<- If you want to know about the last awesome Snes game you didn't know about.
"He died as he lived, with jelly all over his face." ~ Tom Servo

PrimeTime90

Alpha Metroid

Postby PrimeTime90 » 09.11.10 2:00am

As of now, Zero Mission. I love its incredibly fast pace and smooth controls(especially after struggling through Super where I felt like I was a clunky robot underwater with the worst wall jump known to man the whole time), I'm actually compelled to explore around a bit, there's some fun boss encounters, and I'm a big fan of the Solid Samus stealth mission area and then finally getting the gravity suit and generally screwing everybody up. Lame final boss though, those annoying black pirates were harder than Meta-Ridley >_< It feels like a game I can run through once every couple months and not get bored with it.

I need to replay Fusion again. I never got very far into it last time, but I hear its pretty linear(which, considering my favorite Prime by far is Corruption, doesn't bother me at all).

Smoking Spoon

Omega Metroid

Postby Smoking Spoon » 09.11.10 2:47am

PrimeTime90 wrote:As of now, Zero Mission. I love its incredibly fast pace and smooth controls(especially after struggling through Super where I felt like I was a clunky robot underwater with the worst wall jump known to man the whole time), I'm actually compelled to explore around a bit, there's some fun boss encounters, and I'm a big fan of the Solid Samus stealth mission area and then finally getting the gravity suit and generally screwing everybody up. Lame final boss though, those annoying black pirates were harder than Meta-Ridley >_< It feels like a game I can run through once every couple months and not get bored with it.

I need to replay Fusion again. I never got very far into it last time, but I hear its pretty linear(which, considering my favorite Prime by far is Corruption, doesn't bother me at all).

You should try on hard mode + 15 % max item . Both Ridley battle are incredibly tough zO_o ! Those black space pirate too, but when you understand their A.I. they are easy.
Here's 3 of my game in progress if you're interrested (1) (2) (3)

Click here ->O<- If you want to know about the last awesome Snes game you didn't know about.
"He died as he lived, with jelly all over his face." ~ Tom Servo

Jaryl

Egg

Postby Jaryl » 09.11.10 11:39am

My favourite 2D-Metroid ... well, it's a tie between Zero Mission and Fusion. Zero Mission, because it's Gameplay is super-smooth, Fusion, because I love the story and the Fusion Suit.

Meta_Ridley89

Hatchling

Postby Meta_Ridley89 » 09.12.10 1:21pm

Considering I didn't play Super Metroid at its release, I must choose between Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion.

Personally... Fusion got its best point with the story and difficulty for getting few items. Zero Mission, on its side, is very difficult for completing the game with less items as possible (something I made and I can even beat Ridley on Hard Mode, 15%, without getting a single hit and I don't need the infinite wall jump to do so).

In short... I can't decide. LOL!

PrimeTime90

Alpha Metroid

Postby PrimeTime90 » 09.12.10 11:33pm

Just beat Fusion. MIGHT beat Corruption for my favorite Metroid game, its really close. An excellent game through and through. Its not quite as fast as Zero Mission, but it controls just as good and it still miles above Super Metroid. I really don't get the complaints about it being linear. Yeah they give you hints for where to go, but finding out how you get there is a whole other ball game. Lots of carpet bombing/power bombing/hidden locations all around. There's really cool looking environments too, and a pretty good soundtrack(my favorite being the ARC level ice world. Hell, I prefer that song to Phendrana Drifts, yeah I went there). The game is pretty challenging in the second half, particularly the boss fights(FUCK YOU STUPID SPIDER BOSS). I love the way they set up SA-X as the constant antagonist through the game, dodging it, running away, and the final battle which is no push over. And then that great Super Metroid-inspired ending. I didn't even care about the final boss not being hard, its a well needed break from the onslaught of hard ass encounters from Yakuza onward. I also got to mention the story, which is actually pretty well told all things considered. It did the whole "cloning Metroids" thing way before Other M, and better too :fusion:

And at the end of the day, as much as I enjoyed Other M, I would KILL for another 2d Metroid done in this style.

Fusion > or = Corruption > Zero Mission > Other M > Prime 1 > Prime 2 >> other Metroid games.

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 09.13.10 12:47am

Though I have yet to play Zero Mission, I have played every other 2D Metroid, and I must say that Super is far and away the best variant of them all. Just as some don't understand the complaints against the linearity of Fusion, I don't understand the complaints regarding the controls of Super. The evolution of the controls had to come from somewhere, and Super is the source of all those ideas found in later games. Plus the atmosphere of isolation and the impressive music has not been matched yet. Prime does a good job of using Super's musical themes, but as far as 2D games go, Super has it in spades. If Fusion didn't have the hand-holding CO computer, it would definitely rival Super. Nice atmosphere, good music, but the sense of isolation only came in episodes (having to avoid SA-X and those nerve-wracking moments where the difficulty curve shot off the charts with some bosses).

I still remember seeing the demo at WaldenSoftware at the local mall when Super was released back in '94. The music and the graphics had my brother and I contently staring at that screen for half and hour or more while my family did their shopping. Nintendo will have to pull an amazing rabbit out of their hat to knock Super off of its pedestal above the other 2D Metroids.

Final light

Egg

Postby Final light » 09.13.10 7:52pm

Metroid 2. I like fighting the different types of metroid. More specifically the Alpha metroid.

Metroid1234

Hatchling

Postby Metroid1234 » 09.17.10 10:49am

I am not sure. I started with Metroid 2 way back but I like Metroid and Super Metroid as well. Fusion to me was a let down with the constant telling me what to do and where to go. Zero Mission? It's strange that the game even exists to me because Super Metroid does a much better job as a remake.

So I guess the first 3 hold a special place with me. After all Super Metroid was supposed to be the last game according to Gunpei.

Satch

Kraid

Postby Satch » 09.17.10 9:00pm

For some odd reason, Metroid 2 is my favorite 2d Metroid game.

It was my first Metroid game, and I remember absolutely despising it because of how frustrated I would get. I determined that I hated Metroid, after playing it. I didn't play another Metroid game until Metroid Prime, and that's how I got into the fandom. But somehow, after all of those years, I absolutely love Metroid 2.

I honestly don't know what happened.
Image Image
IF ADAM WANTS A GIRL TO ****ING DANCE, HE SHOULD JUST GO TO A STRIP CLUB. ~Doc Scratch

Mewtwo

Omega Metroid

Postby Mewtwo » 09.17.10 9:06pm

Same with me o.o
I started playing it, and it was so FFFUUUUU, but at the end, I was like.... that was so fun!

cynicalmetroid

Egg

Postby cynicalmetroid » 09.19.10 5:16pm

For me it was the original. I beat zero mission on hard and unlocked it, and I was like, holy crap. I love it simply because of how amazingly difficult it is without a map or a walkthrough.

Zelda Valentine

Mochtroid

Postby Zelda Valentine » 11.30.10 4:38pm

My favorite 2D Metroid or favorite Metroid ever is Metroid II, it's the first Metroid game I got. It's actually the first video game I ever played, and will be my absolute favorite video game ever nobody will ever change my mind about it. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Metroid Classic