Metroid Super ZeroMission

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Metroid Super ZeroMission

Postby Infinity's End » 04.12.11 4:25pm

GO HERE FOR THE (near-complete) ITEM COLLECTION SEQUENCE BY MAGINOMICON.

Please use this thread as the official discussion place for Metroid Super ZeroMission, a new hack made by japanese hacker "SB." It's pretty frickin' incredible what he's done... Looks like it was built with a Japanese-translated version of SMILE! o_O O_O

Anyway... I've only scratched the surface so far. I haven't found the first pack of Super Missiles yet. But I find it's a really well-made hack, and not overly-difficult.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
Xerkxes wrote:A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Balkoth

Omega Metroid

Re: Metroid Super ZeroMission

Postby Balkoth » 04.12.11 6:04pm

Downloaded. I'll try it out when I get home.

Can someone translate the Readme?
When somebody tells me he doesn't believe in violence, I punch him in the face to inform him of its existence.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.12.11 6:25pm

This is pretty cool. Even though it is familiar, it is also a new game!

The only problem I am having with it is that the backgrounds are messing up for no reason? Mostly when I look at the map/inventory screen? Any advice on how to fix this :-?
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

Daya

Gamma Metroid

Postby Daya » 04.13.11 1:08pm

As I like this hack, it pisses me off. I have 15 missles, 2 energy tanks (199 HP in total), Charge Beam, Morph ball, Bombs.

Norfair is already dead-hot in the second room, Kraid's zone is mostly unexplorable because of missing items, as well as Crateria/Chozodia and the North part of Brinstar.

From now, I don't know where the fuck I have to go. And that's frustrating.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.13.11 1:27pm

AlphonseDaya wrote:As I like this hack, it pisses me off. I have 15 missles, 2 energy tanks (199 HP in total), Charge Beam, Morph ball, Bombs.

Norfair is already dead-hot in the second room, Kraid's zone is mostly unexplorable because of missing items, as well as Crateria/Chozodia and the North part of Brinstar.

From now, I don't know where the fuck I have to go. And that's frustrating.

Yeah I was at that point. However...my biggest hint to you is the game plays extreme homage to Metroid 1, specifically in the realm of a very important item...[spoiler]the Varia Suit.[/spoiler] There is also a "hell run" you have to do before said item, to get the game's equivalent of the "Power Grip" (aka the grapple beam), but it was EXTREMELY easy and only forces you to run through 1 super-hot room.

I'm currently stuck in Norfair and can't seem to find my way out. I need to get Super Missiles but absolutely have NO idea how to find them... I've bombed every goddamn wall I could find. And still stuck! :(

Balkoth

Omega Metroid

Postby Balkoth » 04.13.11 2:12pm

Okay, this hack is not working for me. I'm using the ZSNES emulator with a PAL rom.

As soon as the rom loads, the emulator crashes back to the desktop. The unmodified Super Metroid rom and others work just fine. I'll try finding an NTSC rom, and hope it works better.
When somebody tells me he doesn't believe in violence, I punch him in the face to inform him of its existence.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.13.11 2:26pm

Balkoth wrote:Okay, this hack is not working for me. I'm using the ZSNES emulator with a PAL rom.

As soon as the rom loads, the emulator crashes back to the desktop. The unmodified Super Metroid rom and others work just fine. I'll try finding an NTSC rom, and hope it works better.

You have to make sure you're using the one that's called Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc which is unheadered. Pretty sure the PAL one and the US version will not work.

Balkoth

Omega Metroid

Postby Balkoth » 04.13.11 2:41pm

Thanks, it worked!

Now, if you're unsure how to progress, are you sure this hack is even complete?

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.13.11 3:05pm

Balkoth wrote:Thanks, it worked!

Now, if you're unsure how to progress, are you sure this hack is even complete?

Pretty sure it's complete. So far it has never required the use of the wall jump or the bomb jump, but they're definitely handy techniques if you know how to use them. I doubt the designer would be that shortsighted to make a player get as stuck as I am right now and not have any way out. :P

EDIT: figured it out. The answer is not very obvious. I'm guessing many, many people will get stuck where I did.

So far I have: Morph Ball, Missiles, Super Missiles, Grapple Beam, Ice Beam, Spazer, High Jump, and Varia. Last Boss I killed was Spore Spawn.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.14.11 1:02am

Well, I killed Kraid, but I'm stuck on where to go again... >_>

Is anyone else out there playing this hack? I know I just recently posted about this, but it doesn't seem like it's getting the reception I thought it would. Guess everyone's burnt out on SM hacks?! o_O The game's hard, but not *too* hard. I mean, I feel like I've actually been challenged, as it's way tougher than MZM and SM, but it seems pretty fair and balanced.

Aetherech0s

Mochtroid

Postby Aetherech0s » 04.14.11 4:54am

im stuck at the same place. I have ball mode, about 20 missiles, bombs, charge beam, about 3 energy tanks. I think Varia Suit is then next major upgrade, but i need either ice beam or grapple beam to reach it. Theres nowhere to go in brinstar or kraid's area, and theres a long hot room in norfair that i cant make it through. The hint a few posts earlier doesnt help because as i said, i need grapple beam or ice beam to follow the same path from the original Metroid.

*EDIT*
Actually, i think i just found a place to sequence break. On the right side of Kraids area, theres a tall room which requires super missile in the bottom of it, and seemingly requires ice beam at the top. Theres a thin passage upwards filled with Rippers. At the top is a block you can destroy. Im fairly certain that you are supposed to freeze them and jump up, but i managed to walljump between them and make it up. I hit the button at the end of that passage, then continued back out and beat Spore Spawn. However, since i do not have Grapple Beam, i cant reach the item at the top of Spore Spawn's room. I also cannot continue through the next corridor because it also requires the Grapple Beam. Could someone tell me where to get it and any other items that i missed?

I really hope someone that is playing right now makes a walkthrough. This is just as good as any of the official ones, if only it were a little easier to find your upgrades.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.14.11 9:20am

Dose anybody else have messed up backgrounds? It goes away after a bit except every time I use my map it comes back and takes a while to go away?
It mostly looks like a yellow grid with dots, it is pretty annoying. So any helpful suggestions would be nice please :)
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.14.11 9:45am

Aetherech0s wrote:im stuck at the same place. I have ball mode, about 20 missiles, bombs, charge beam, about 3 energy tanks. I think Varia Suit is then next major upgrade, but i need either ice beam or grapple beam to reach it. Theres nowhere to go in brinstar or kraid's area, and theres a long hot room in norfair that i cant make it through. The hint a few posts earlier doesnt help because as i said, i need grapple beam or ice beam to follow the same path from the original Metroid.

*EDIT*
Actually, i think i just found a place to sequence break. On the right side of Kraids area, theres a tall room which requires super missile in the bottom of it, and seemingly requires ice beam at the top. Theres a thin passage upwards filled with Rippers. At the top is a block you can destroy. Im fairly certain that you are supposed to freeze them and jump up, but i managed to walljump between them and make it up. I hit the button at the end of that passage, then continued back out and beat Spore Spawn. However, since i do not have Grapple Beam, i cant reach the item at the top of Spore Spawn's room. I also cannot continue through the next corridor because it also requires the Grapple Beam. Could someone tell me where to get it and any other items that i missed?

I really hope someone that is playing right now makes a walkthrough. This is just as good as any of the official ones, if only it were a little easier to find your upgrades.

:) Hey there, here's your answer:
[spoiler]You need to do a "hell run" in the first room to the left of the Norfair elevator. There is a pipe that spawns Gamets and the Zeelas scattered around to bring you back to full health. It only took me 2-3 tries; not nearly as difficult as SM Redesign's. The next room is not super-heated. After that, you should go upwards to get into "Chozodia" (Crateria) and get the Grapple Beam.[/spoiler]

Dragonheart91

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dragonheart91 » 04.14.11 10:47am

I haven't played it, but it looks really bland. The kind of things I look for in a Super Metroid hack usually involve new content, especially new upgrades or physics changes. Ice Metal was decent, Phazon besides the terrible bugs and lack of polish pwned, Redesign is good except that it's too hard for no reason. The original is still better than the hacks and most of the hacks just don't offer much of anything new besides re-arranging the map a bit.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.14.11 11:07am

Dragonheart91 wrote:I haven't played it, but it looks really bland. The kind of things I look for in a Super Metroid hack usually involve new content, especially new upgrades or physics changes. Ice Metal was decent, Phazon besides the terrible bugs and lack of polish pwned, Redesign is good except that it's too hard for no reason. The original is still better than the hacks and most of the hacks just don't offer much of anything new besides re-arranging the map a bit.

Well, it's even more obvious that you haven't played it since you're pretty much wrong on all accounts. The game changes some gameplay aspects such as chaining shinesparks and the rate in which you fire. You can also tumble into a spin from a straight-up jump and work that into a wall jump if you want. But it's essentially Zero Mission done Super-style. It's definitely a lot more than just "re-arranging the map a bit."

@Lucid Flower, no, I do not have any messed up bgs. You may want to try patching a different ROM or change emulators. I prefer ZSNES, but I'm currently playing the game on my TV using the Wii SNES emulator.

EDIT: Well, the guy updated the .zip file on his site with the comments:
4 / 14 (V.1.54)
I got out bug fixes
Slightly modified the map
Add English Read Me

So it's possible that the modified map is different than the game we're currently playing. I may start over. Some of the items are REALLY hard to get due to shinespark-chaining is really tough. I am completely stuck right now, have no idea where to go or what to do after killing Kraid and getting the Speed Booster.

Next

Return to Metroid Classic