AM2R: Another Metroid 2 Remake

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Qazz777

Alpha Metroid

AM2R: Another Metroid 2 Remake

Postby Qazz777 » 10.23.11 12:53am

Admin Edit: This is now the official thread for discussing this game. You are also welcome to discuss the game in AM2R's own forum.

There's a new AM2R demo here if anyone's interested
http://mguasti.x10.bz/ncfc2011/

YamI

Metroid Queen

Re: New AM2R Demo

Postby YamI » 10.23.11 1:29am

2.6 is out? Cool, I like AM2R. It's coming along really great. :)

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 10.24.11 5:47pm

Just got finished with it! This felt nice and cozy :)

Even though the last demo was fun there was a lot about it I did not care for. This feels polished up and fun! Now I cant wait for this to get finished.

The metroids were really fun, and their AI even surprised me a bit, nothing felt frustrating at all. I did get the items out of order because i exploited my wall jumping abilities....The last 2d metroid game I have played was super zero mission, and i just thought it was going to be more difficult. It was just right though, I died a few times, then dished out my revenge :thumbsup:
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

Dragonheart91

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dragonheart91 » 10.24.11 9:19pm

Yeah, this game doesn't seem to require you to get much in the way of upgrades. From what I can tell, the demo seems completable with Bombs + starting equipment and intense wall jumping + bomb jumping.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 10.24.11 9:24pm

The only thing I did not quite get was the :ice:

It was worthless? I could not find a single use for it, could not freeze the metroids, and there was no place I needed it to assist in climbing? Oh well it is just a demo...
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

Dragonheart91

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dragonheart91 » 10.25.11 12:38am

There are places that require single-wall wall jumping OR infinite bomb jumping OR Ice Beam. The first two are "advanced techniques".

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 10.25.11 8:29am

There should be health and missile drops when you kill the Metroids...

Also, using the Chozo statues from Super and not Zero Mission doesn't make a lick of sense. They're completely different art styles.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Dragonheart91

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dragonheart91 » 10.25.11 9:23am

You should take it up with the Doc over on our forums. I'm sure your input would be valuable.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 10.25.11 10:13am

I agree with the dropping of some health and missiles after you kill it.

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

YamI

Metroid Queen

Postby YamI » 10.25.11 2:34pm

"advanced techniques".
Lol. I find that funny. They aren't "advanced" at all, they are both the easiest trick in the book. Its basically all you need it Super Metroid, too.

But anyways, Yeah. I beat the first Metroid. I died at the second.... I suck at M2 Metroid battles.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 10.26.11 12:02pm

Moving to Fan Creations.

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 10.26.11 12:34pm

Mirror for people who dont want to use iffy hosting sites, I couldn't find the real download button of most of them mirrors...

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 10.26.11 2:54pm

I liked the new Chozo Trial Boss, but overall, I'm kinda disappointed by the demo. I don't think the game is quite as good as I expected it to be. To me, the thing that sticks out the most in the lists of flaws is the level design. I know that's it's supposed to be a "remake" of Metroid II, but there are a lot of things that could have been changed to keep it fresh. Instead, they decided to just stick as closely as they could to the original game. If I wanted to play the original game, I'd play the original game.

I know it's just a "demo," but here's an example of a flaw:
there were quite a few things along the way that, designated by the tiles that make up the map, I thought were hints that contained secrets or hidden paths. All of those times it would come up with nothing, and left me with disappointment, and I felt punished for wasting my time trying to discover things that weren't even there. And it didn't just happen once or twice, but it kept happening, over and over. I found a few secrets, sure, but most of the time, nothing. It just wasn't satisfying. And discovering secrets is one of the core staples of the Metroid series.

Another "flaw" is that goddamned "climb" move that you have to push a button to make happen. It's a great idea in a sense, but the execution is awful. If you wanted to do that, you'd make it automatic, not force a player to push a damn button. Otherwise, you run into walls all the time, forcing you to hit climb. So instead of this beautiful, smooth flow, that I usually do when I play my Metroid games, I was met with abrupt stops constantly. It was jarring and tedious, and the result was me mashing the jump button while running along while I played.

I won't hold it against them on their shameless overuse of the previous games' tilesets, but it definitely doesn't get any extra bonus points from me. :/
I still look forward to playing the final version, if and whenever it happens.

YamI

Metroid Queen

Postby YamI » 10.26.11 7:25pm

As do I, Ice beam, if you wonder where it is. It's easy to get if you know how to one-wall jump, like me. But if you don't there is a morphball route. It's near Spiderball, is all I'll say.

Also, I suck at Metroid battles, but i actually did it, and beat the demo this time, just think...Gamma's...=me dying more, Zeta's =alot more Omega's =way more than that and the Queen = holy shit, game overx100.

Lol....Nahh, I'll make it through all right.

Tokinsom

Hatchling

Postby Tokinsom » 10.26.11 9:34pm

My only real gripe with the demo is the graphics. IMO The new Samus sprites are vastly inferior to ZM's. They look sloppy and the palette doesn't work at all. (I think they're unfinished, but still, why bother? ZM Samus is fine. The only reason people are tired of it is because there are so many horrible ZM-style fangames.) Also, a lot of tiles and backdrops look unfinished and/or poorly made..and the ship doesn't fit very well.

The new music was really cool though. M2's original music, aside from the tunnel theme, was awful; mostly just sfx and, well, crap. DoctorM64 did a good job fixing that. The tunnel theme is a bit too 'dancey' for my liking, but it works well.

The alpha 'troids were pretty fun but kind of annoying at the same time; their AI isn't as..hm..advanced as I thought? It basically chases you, hardly ever giving you a chance to dodge, then dashes without warning. Also the lackluster 'poof' with no drops was disappointing, as well as the missing health/missile 're-chargers' hidden above the first alpha in the original. I guess those were removed completely.

The chozo mini-boss was a nice surprise. I think it had too much health though.

I could go on but this is starting to sound far more negative than I had intended :P

All in all it was a nice run through the very beginning of AM2R, but imo Confrontation 1 was way better. Still looking forward to the full game though.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic