AM2R: Another Metroid 2 Remake

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Re: AM2R: Another Metroid 2 Remake

Postby Big Guy » 08.07.17 9:17pm

It's good to see him get recognized for his work.
Hello.

Platinum Lucario

Mochtroid

Postby Platinum Lucario » 09.20.17 8:40pm

Metroid: Samus Returns has been released, but I really think AM2R is far better due to the way it stays true to the original Metroid II: Return of Samus.

I would've honestly thought that AM2R was monetised through adfly links or something when I heard that Reggie said it was in the interview, but from what I've heard from everyone else, is that all the links and web content were not monetised in any way possible.

What I really do think now, it's actually because the original directors of the games (such as Yoshio Sakumoto) complain about it to Nintendo and then request for it's removal. The same thing happened with Pokémon Prism (a ROM hack of Pokémon Crystal) back in December, just a week before it's release (so I would assume Junichi Masuda complained about it to Nintendo and The Pokémon Company).

In future, for anyone wanting to create a fangame I would suggest contacting the original developers to get permission before creating a fangame (whenever it's a ROM hack or a Windows executable).

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 09.20.17 8:59pm

It seems like they remove fan games when they meet one of three conditions:
1.) The creator is receiving money in exchange for his work (ex: the SM64 Online modder who had a Patreon and was creating personal mods for his tip backers)
2.) The game/mod is notable enough to be recieving significant coverage from gaming press(Pokemon Prism)
3.) The game/mod is of a high enough quality to be considered actual competition for official games (AM2R)

Basically AM2R was good enough for Nintendo to consider it a threat to MSR's sales, a testament to its quality.
Hello.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 09.22.17 1:20am

I got my copy of MSR late due to Irma hitting Florida pretty hard. I beat it just a few minutes ago with 100% collectibles, 10:28:01. It will take some time to properly rank MSR among all the other Metroid games but I very much enjoyed Samus' long awaited return. Among the 2D Metroids, Super, Zero Mission and Fusion are practically neck and neck for me, but I'd put MSR somewhere below them. Not to put down MSR, I thought it was great, but as of right now I would probably play either Fusion, ZM or Super above MSR. Part of that is its length and a 100% playthrough (being the clepto that I am) could take significantly longer than any other 2D Metroid. By the end of my first playthrough I was about burned out for some reason. That might be because I was trying to indulge in as much of MSR as I could before playing it though. I like the idea of a Metroid game being longer than 3 hours, but for a handheld Metroid being smaller and compact fits more to the theme of being on a handheld. Going 100% first time took much longer than I thought so maybe I just haven't let the game sink in enough to determine whether or not the size of the game was overkill. I don't like how hard Normal Mode is since the game was designed with a focus on challenge even though there's no plot reason for it like in Fusion. I don't mind a challenge but being hard was never the focus besides Metroid NES. It didn't take me very long to get used to the game and improving so I died significantly less. The only times I died after the first few Gamma fights was to the final boss. However, I've beaten Zero Mission on Hard mode 15% so normal mode's challenge isn't that bad for me. MSR is the first Metroid game in a while and it's sort of being marketed to new players as their first Metroid game. MSR is NOT a good first Metroid, that honor still belongs to Zero Mission... for me at least.

For 2D Metroid there seems to be many things they could do next, whether it be a Metroid 5, whatever the Chozo Memories could lead into or maybe a Fusion remake. I don't think Fusion needs one by any means same for Super, but a longer Fusion could allow the SA-X to be used better. The SA-X was heavily underused in Fusion since you encounter it 4 times before the final battle, 3 of those encounters can be completely skipped pretty easily. You're told that it's stalking you, but it so rarely appears in any way I'm more worried about the station imploding in on itself. I've heard people suggest that the SA-X showing up randomly but that sounds like a very bad idea.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 09.22.17 1:29pm

I'm still waiting on my copy. My girlfriend bought it for me in-store, then she had to mail it to me, from Texas. I'm so anxious to play. o_O
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic