Is Super Metroid perfect?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
MrRuss

Mochtroid

Is Super Metroid perfect?

Postby MrRuss » 11.11.12 2:51pm

I have just completed it for the first time. I've played and completed all the 2D metroid games and think they are all very very good, even NES metroid, mainly due to its difficulty.

Super has a reputation as one of the finest games of all time and I was wondering if everyone agrees and if not why not. I have my own opionion that I will add when other people have commented!

<3

garbin

Metroid

Re: Is Suoer Metroid perfect?

Postby garbin » 11.11.12 3:08pm

Perfect? Most certainly not. High quality graphics/sound/gameplay with a reasonable challenge level and high re-playability value? Most definitely!
"Wargle!"

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Re: Is Super Metroid perfect?

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.11.12 5:54pm

For all intents and purposes, yes, it is perfect.

Any minor quibbles about its controls completely fall to the wayside when realizing that a 2D metroid game has yet to exceed it in terms of exploration, content and playability.

When I joined, I was a young'un, and didn't understand (and hated) SM purists who went on and on about Super Metroid. But when I played it, I knew instantly, and knew I had been wrong. It's probably Shikimaru's masterwork, as well as Sakamoto's magnum opus.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 11.11.12 7:16pm

Aside from the control limitations of the time, yes.

With... Idk, touch screen controls to quickly activate equipment, and the ability to look at the map all the time (maybe on the 3DS bottom screen?), maybe even add notes to it, it would definitely be perfect.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.11.12 7:36pm

Yes it's perfect! Best game ever.

Thread closed!

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 11.11.12 8:31pm

Haven't experienced it to the fullest yet so I can't really say. From what I heard, upgrades aren't the only things that enable you to visit new areas; skills do as well. Once you have enough skills, you'll visit areas that shouldn't have been possible for you visit using only your arsenal. That's part of what makes the game so replayable.

TheBlackCat

Omega Metroid

Postby TheBlackCat » 11.11.12 9:52pm

I wouldn't say it is perfect. Excellent, yes, but there are some improvements I would make:

There are certainly more than a few glitches, for one thing. One glitch, the mockball, became such a staple in Super that it was implemented on purpose in later games in part. But many others were just basic flaws.

There were even some things left in the game code but were unused, such as the reflector, that later hackers showed could make interesting puzzles.

There are also some gameplay mechanics from future games, such as the clawgrip, that I think positively impact the games.

There was also a significant lack of permanent changes in the game terrain, pretty much only the maridia tube an a few breakable blocks permanently changed as a I recall. Later games had much larger changes in some rooms.

I also think Tourian was pretty weak compared to the version in Zero Mission.

I think some of the more interesting game mechanics were under-used. For example there is only one area I really see the power bomb shield being useful, and there are only a few areas were the charge bombs are useful.

I don't think the more interesting enemies are well-utilized, either. Tatori and shacktool are interesting and cool, but the rooms they are in are boring, and shacktool is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow. Similarly the ninja pirates are in a boring room that rewards spamming them rather than trying to use any strategy.

Gold torizo is poorly-programmed, it is too easy to corner it.

Maridia doesn't do a good enough job distinguishing sections graphically compared to other areas, making it very easy to get lost without a map.

Quicksand is too hard to get out of.

I think it is much better with later games where the shinespark doesn't consume energy. It completely defeats the purpose of the dachola area, since you probably lose more energy getting out than you gain using the charger.

I also think that the shinespark isn't used as well, and that some of the places it is used is too strict with the positioning you need. Further, I think being able to recover horizontal shinesparks is a good addition.

Some rooms, like the first dark room and the oum (big ball enemy) room were useless, probably taking more energy to get through them than you get by visiting them, and wasting a lot of time compared to just camping next to an enemy spawner.

The one-way section at tourian was also annoying.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, but more will probably come to me.
Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 11.11.12 10:40pm

Is Super Metroid Perfect?
No.

But its a damned good game, that's for sure.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.12.12 12:11am

Is Super Metroid Perfect?
No.

But its a damned good game, that's for sure.
Actually yes! Perfect in every way possible.

And comparing it to todays games is extremely unfair.

Vgm out...

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 11.12.12 4:01am

No, there is no such thing as a perfect game. It's my favorite Metroid game though.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.12.12 12:19pm

Well there is no such thing as a perfect-anything on this wide earth, so it's a meaningless discussion if you narrow your definitions.

Is it a game that sets out what a game should do and more? Is it what a game should be and more? Does it offer more than a game normally offers?

The answer to all of these questions is yes, it does. Among the standards of games, it is above most every game, and easily stands with the likes of Fallout: A post-nuclear role-playing game, Deus Ex, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man X, RayForce, and many other distinguished titles as being some of the best games ever made.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.12.12 12:33pm

Well my point is, to me it's perfect. This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it don't you think. :-)
It set the bar for many games that came after it.

You may not think so, but that's your prerogative and that's ok.
but what really cheesed me off is the blackcat picking it apart and gripping about it like some soiled child, not saying you are. Just sounded it like it. You can do that with any game. Those weren't improvements, they were complaints. of which most of them could be answered as "Aww poor muffin".
It was ahead of it's time and comparing it to todays games is totally unfair.
Anyways ill shut up now before I offend someone here -_-

Vgm out...
Last edited by VGMStudios on 11.12.12 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.12.12 12:47pm

I'm saying that it is as perfect as games can get.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.12.12 1:22pm

I wasn't disputing your post EI. I just happen to be under yours. It was more of a reply to everyone else. :-)

Vgm out...

Stinger

Metroid

Postby Stinger » 11.12.12 1:46pm

And comparing it to today's games is extremely unfair.
I disagree. If Super Metroid can't hold up against games of today, including more modern Metroid games, then it has aged badly. I believe it is still an amazing game even when comparing to the recent generation of games, and stands as my second favorite Metroid game currently. My only issue with the game is that the gap between when I encounter Kraid and when I encounter Phantoon feels a little longer than I would like. As for what is very appealing to me, I would say the vibrance of the environments is at the top. Super Metroid is the Metroid game closest to perfection of the Metroid games that get the most acclaim.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic