The world needs Metroid 5

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Patrick

Egg

Re: The world needs Metroid 5

Postby Patrick » 07.19.17 5:04am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Fusion suit is basically all the central parts of her power suit that couldn't even be surgically removed, which have mutated a bit due to the Metroid vaccine.

I brought up a lot of my Metroid 5 story ideas a few pages back (to summarize: the corrupt part of the Federation breaks off, seizes control over the galaxy by unleashing a new parasite that can control the mind and corrupt the body, and now Samus and Sylux, who are both being hunted by the corrupt Federation, must settle their differences and fight back to liberate the galaxy).

As far as her suit upgrades go, I envision it working sort of like this within the context of my other ideas:

First, she starts out with her Fusion suit basically the same as it is at the end of Fusion, except perhaps the Metroid DNA (I know what Sakamoto said, don't care) has mutated it a bit more, giving her some more Metroid-like abilities. Samus can now absorb her enemies in order to gain new abilities a la the Souls system in Castlevania, and basically "feed" her suit (there could be limitations to this, like it only works on certain enemies or she has to make them vulnerable first) Instead of finding suit upgrades in the environment, this time around her suit will mutate and upgrade the more she feeds it, possibly mirroring the Metroid evolutions on SR-388. For a little while, at least.

Eventually, it becomes clear that the corrupt Federation are now turning the same radiation they use to control their Metroid populations against Samus, and her Fusion suit just isn't enough to shield her from it, no matter how many enemies she absorbs. At this point Sylux, being a former Federation engineer, designs a hi-tech new suit for Samus to use (perhaps he needs you to gather some materials before he can build it), which would grant her the protection she needs from the radiation, as well as a few other more Sylux-like abilities that she acquires the further you get into the game. While a definite and needed upgrade from her Fusion suit, Samus's new suit is still a far cry from her familiar Chozo armor and can't interface with Chozo technology, and whether it's there for her protection or spying purposes, Sylux has equipped it with a tracking device that cannot be removed from the suit. For these reasons and perhaps others, Samus eventually decides to abandon this suit late in the game, as she sets out to infiltrate the corrupt Federation's HQ.

Once there, Samus makes a shocking discovery: apparently the corrupt Federation have been keeping prisoner what could very well be the last living member of the Chozo race, prying and torturing him in a cruel attempt to gain access to the secrets of the Chozo and their advanced technology. Samus finds a way to sneak through the Federation's defenses and enter the Chozo's holding cell without them knowing, and once the Chozo realizes who Samus is, he bestows upon her something he had kept hidden from the Federation for a very long time: an actual Chozo suit for Samus, just like the one we're all familiar with except maybe a little more powerful. With this last upgrade she can now interface with all the Chozo tech upgrades from the statues she encountered before as she makes her final approach to relinquish the galaxy from Federation control.

Just my ideas of course. I think it would be really cool to see her suit dramatically change like this over the course of the game as the plot develops.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 07.19.17 10:38pm

I was under the assumption that Samus's altered DNA (along with the surgical removal of some components) was the main thing that created the Fusion Suit since the Power Suit is basically an extension of her own biology. But in that case, regaining her normal DNA, as Sakamoto suggests happened at the end of the game, should have restored the suit to its normal form, too. But all it did was change the color. Unless the idea is supposed to be that Samus's attitude or mind has changed somehow, so this in now how the suit's software interprets that change.

I kind of feel like it would be nice to more clearly establish what the connection is between Samus and the Power Suit, hopefully in the process providing a narrative-based reasoning for why Samus loses all of her abilities at the start of each game. It's not like it's vital to the gameplay of a Metroid 5...it just seems like a piece that would help flesh out the Metroid universe a bit more fully.

Side note: even with two new Metroids on the way, the title of this thread still applies.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 07.19.17 11:11pm

Since Samus absorbed the SA-X at the end of Fusion, I always thought that maybe her armor will grow back or slowly return to how it was originally as some sort of long term side effect. Perhaps Samus could turn more into a Metroid as a long term side effect of the Metroid Vaccine and her end game suit could be a mix of her classic design and something like an Omega Metroid.
Sakamoto said that her absorbing the SA-X returned her DNA to normal, so now all she has to do is find a Chozo world and nab a power suit.
Ah, so that explains how she's able to handle the ice-beam at the end of Fusion without it injuring her.
Something I never completely understood is that Samus is told that she can't use Ice anything due to the Metroid DNA, but the Varia Suit upgrade allows Samus to not only enter sub zero areas, but absorb sub zero X Parasites which require that Samus basically eat them. If the blue X Parasite can be absorbed thanks to the Varia Suit, meaning that cold on the outside and inside of Samus' body will do nothing, why would Samus' weakness to cold remain? shouldn't the Varia Suit basically make s Samus an unfreezable Metroid or something?

I read the Q&A with Sakamoto, but if what Sakamoto meant was that Samus really isn't part Metroid anymore then that's a damn shame, there's so much potential there with Samus being part Metroid.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.21.17 12:17am

Something I never completely understood is that Samus is told that she can't use Ice anything due to the Metroid DNA, but the Varia Suit upgrade allows Samus to not only enter sub zero areas, but absorb sub zero X Parasites which require that Samus basically eat them. If the blue X Parasite can be absorbed thanks to the Varia Suit, meaning that cold on the outside and inside of Samus' body will do nothing, why would Samus' weakness to cold remain? shouldn't the Varia Suit basically make s Samus an unfreezable Metroid or something?
External vs Internal, I guess?

Absorbing the X through the armor.. means that "cold" substances has to pass through and warm up through the varia suit before it actually get into Samus. The suit might even just be filtering out the cold gunk and giving her the not-so-cold raw X material.
The Ice beam, on the otherhand, is generated INSIDE the armor, not outside. However I don't see how this makes much sense, as it would mean her suit is not insulated against it's own weapons, and would kind of imply Samus FEELS that cold every time she shoots it.

I honestly wouldn't read to much into it, It's not like even Nintendo knows how it works.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 07.21.17 12:28am

External vs Internal, I guess?

Absorbing the X through the armor.. means that "cold" substances has to pass through and warm up through the varia suit before it actually get into Samus. The suit might even just be filtering out the cold gunk and giving her the not-so-cold raw X material.
The Ice beam, on the otherhand, is generated INSIDE the armor, not outside. However I don't see how this makes much sense, as it would mean her suit is not insulated against it's own weapons, and would kind of imply Samus FEELS that cold every time she shoots it.

I honestly wouldn't read to much into it, It's not like even Nintendo knows how it works.
The beams seem to only be generated in Samus' Arm Cannon and might not take place "around" her right arm but somewhere in front of it so Samus isn't damaged by her weapons like the Plasma Beam not burning Samus' hand to a crisp. Then again, Samus is just told she PROBABLY can't use the Ice Beam, but that might not necessarily be true considering Adam at that point was on the corrupt GF side. Samus got the Ice Beam after absorbing the SA-X regardless, so that point has long been rendered moot.

Patrick

Egg

Postby Patrick » 07.21.17 9:17am

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I could easily see that being a case of Adam lying to Samus so that she doesn't use the ice beam against the GF's Metroids. He probably knew that there was a chance Samus was going to find them anyway and didn't want her to have the only weapon capable of damaging them.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic