How often do you charge your beam?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Terrutas

Metroid

How often do you charge your beam?

Postby Terrutas » 07.04.13 6:39am

Personally, I find that I mostly never charge my beam unless there's a specific room that I have a strategy for when using it.

I just noticed that while playing Zero Mission again and I was wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't charge it often.

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Re: How often do you charge your beam?

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 07.04.13 8:25am

quite often , borderline on the obsessive, every chance really.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.05.13 8:27pm

Whenever I'm about to enter combat.

I'd love to keep it charged all the time, but in some games I honestly don't like the noise.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Postby samusfan » 07.07.13 3:23am

In Super Metroid I charge it a lot,because of the less fire rate of normal beam shot.

In ZM and Fusion rarely(In 15% ZM normal/hard run, i don't even pick it)
If i was in Metroid universe, i would marry Samus,and if i could choose an ability,Speed Booster would be mine.Finally i got all ending pictures,Metroid Fusion JP Version Completed

Terrutas

Metroid

Postby Terrutas » 07.07.13 3:46am

Really? In Super I rarely charge it. There're only around 6 rooms that I do. In Lower Norfair to kill the Ki Hunters, When going through the maridia tube so I don't bump into the doors, and the room before red brimstar. I use it to kill the Cacatac for a Super Missile drop.

For the rest of the game I find that I don't need to charge my beam since after you get Wave Beam almost everything dies in 3 shots or less shots up until wrecked ship, but that place doesn't last long.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.07.13 4:42am

When using the normal beam, I use it all the time. After that it depends on how strong the enemies are, though I find I charge it significantly more often in the Prime games.

Especially with the Plasma Beam, because, well, incinerating enemies and watching them evaporate is disturbingly awesome.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

ultraviolet

Metroid

Postby ultraviolet » 07.17.13 3:53pm

OMG I thought I was the only obsessive one with that :awesome: it'd probably be easier to ask 'When do you NOT charge it?'

Thinking about it, I kinda feel naked without a charge shot ready - normal shots never really do much damage. The reason I get my rear handed to me by so many bosses is because I focus on charging rather than attacking outright - thanks! You just gave me an epiphany XD
Gigantic, overwhelmingly powerful, impossible to beat villain? I think everyone but Samus Aran would just run.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.17.13 10:41pm

I pretty much charge my shot 24/7...that is, until Fusion came along.

Man, Fusion's sound effects are annoying.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Engage Ridley

Metroid

Postby Engage Ridley » 07.28.13 4:42am

More often with the weaker beams, but not so much in Zero Mission.

Slaran

Metroid

Postby Slaran » 11.04.13 11:32pm

Much less the half the time do I ever charge it.

KazerBeam

Gamma Metroid

Postby KazerBeam » 02.20.14 4:04am

Whenever I don't need to fire my beam. Samus' awesome that way.

Bomber Bob

Metroid

Postby Bomber Bob » 02.21.14 4:37pm

In Zero Mission, I'll charge it 24/7 if I'm not speed running. When I'm speed running, I use it in only a few rooms:

• Brinstar
° Room King Worm is in when jumping over Zebs.
• Norfair
° Room on the left side of Norfair-Brinstar elevator room
> Used when jumping over Gamets.
° Room on the right side of Norfair-Brinstar elevator room
> Used when jumping over Sovas.

Again, when I'm speed running I only use it when I'm jumping over the wall crawlers, such as Zoomers; Sovas; etc.
Also I only use it when I'm crossing the pipe creatures, such as Gamets; Zebs; etc.
When I'm not speed running I use it 24/7.

KazerBeam

Gamma Metroid

Postby KazerBeam » 02.22.14 1:19am

In Zero Mission, I'll charge it 24/7 if I'm not speed running. When I'm speed running, I use it in only a few rooms.
Why? Surely speed running would need the false screw attack.
Looking for ways to glitch Metroid Games into oblivion.
This makes me remember when Samus didn't talk and there were dinosaurs and black and white TV
I accidentally Zebes. Was that dangerous?

Bomber Bob

Metroid

Postby Bomber Bob » 02.22.14 6:58pm

In Zero Mission, I'll charge it 24/7 if I'm not speed running. When I'm speed running, I use it in only a few rooms.
Because when I'm focused on wall jumping, I can't hold down the fire button on my DS at the same time. I'm rather new to speed running… at some point I'm sure ill be able to do it, but until then I will only use the charge beam when I need a screw attack.

KazerBeam

Gamma Metroid

Postby KazerBeam » 02.27.14 2:56am

Because when I'm focused on wall jumping, I can't hold down the fire button on my DS at the same time. I'm rather new to speed running… at some point I'm sure ill be able to do it, but until then I will only use the charge beam when I need a screw attack.
Ah you play on the DS. :SA-X:
Normally on my game boy, I find it easier to hold in the fire button as I wall jump. With every single chargeable Metroid beam I've used to date, I've charged them as much as possible. Except for Other M. The knockback is OTT. :thumbsdown:
Looking for ways to glitch Metroid Games into oblivion.
This makes me remember when Samus didn't talk and there were dinosaurs and black and white TV
I accidentally Zebes. Was that dangerous?

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic