Wow, this is hard!

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Wow, this is hard!

Postby craigrobbo » 11.02.13 12:53pm

For the first time I am trying to finish metroid (nes) and I cannpt fathom how you guys did it!

I am playing on an emulator with save states and I have died several times before even getting out of the first area!

How did you guys do it on the actual console, and any tips or tricks?

Craig
If you cant get past a boss, throw the pad at the screen as hard as you can. That will kill it!!

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Re: Wow, this is hard!

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.02.13 4:19pm

NES Metroid is a really tough game until you know the layout of the world, and how to best avoid getting hit and dying.

Don't feel bad if you have to restart a few times, if things seem really out of control. And don't feel like you shouldn't consult a map to get your bearings. The best way to go about things, I found, is just to explore, and see where nooks and crannies lead, and make mental notes if those passageways lead to the all-important items of Energy Tanks and Missile Expansions.

Metroid is not a game I think you are 'expected' to beat on your first go around. It's meant to be tough, because games had to be back then to justify their purchase or rental. But it's lots of fun!

Basic strategies I can think up of:

-Let enemies attack you, and then counterattack. Enemies might react randomly, but once they start their "attack" phase, their AI can be exploited. E.G., step forward to bring shriekbats down towards you, and run out of the way; do a short hop to get those strong bugs in item rooms to begin floating upward, etc.

-If you fall down a long shaft, stick to the walls to avoid too many unnecessary hits.

-Bomb everything! if there's a dead end, try using morph ball bombs to find a way out. Also, sometimes lava is fake, and enemies will clue you in to which is which.

-Explore all of Brinstar that you can, until you have the Long Beam, Morph Ball Bombs, the Ice Beam, and an E-Tank and a few missile upgrades. An armor upgrade (the Varia Suit) is hidden in Brinstar, but unless you are extremely good at bomb jumping, you will need the high jump boots (obtained in Norfair) to get it.

-Norfair is very confusing, with lots of fake walls and floors impeding your progress, but if you explore it thoroughly, you'll be rewarded with the highest concentration of weapon upgrades in the game. It's recommended that you find the Wave Beam and Screw Attack here before going to Ridley's Lair.

-There is a fake Kraid in a dead-end passage of Kraid's Lair. The real Kraid will give you an 80 missile expansion for beating him.

-There are no major suit upgrades in Kraid's Lair or Ridley's Lair. Everything your suit needs are found in Brinstar and Norfair.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

LCpl. Furry

Mochtroid

Postby LCpl. Furry » 11.02.13 6:52pm

Perhaps the largest problem many players have when trying to beat classic Metroid is that we've become used to modern video games where you can afford to continually take risks and move at a quick pace. NES Metroid doesn't play by those rules, and it will punish you for every mistake that you make. The key to playing a game like that is patience. Unlike modern games, where you can just shoot up a target the moment you see it and run on by, Metroid requires you to wait, line up the opportunity, take out one enemy, and move on.

Unless you're a total boss that has practiced at the game and can leap around and dodge enemies, you have to take the game step by step, consisting of stopping, shooting one enemy down, then moving, stopping, and continuing. That's the safe way to play, and the only way for an average Joe like me to survive.

The problem is that we're so used to moving quickly and continually knowing what to do and having the ability to respawn at checkpoints that when we apply that kind of risky gameplay to Metroid, we get...well, torn up.

Patience, a pen and paper (maps ftw), and a little practice and you will quickly get into the hang of it and start having fun as well.

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 11.03.13 7:31am

Thanks for the replies. your advice will certainly help.

I have found some what of a rhythm when playing the game and hopefully I will beat the game.
Wish me luck!
If you cant get past a boss, throw the pad at the screen as hard as you can. That will kill it!!

Slaran

Metroid

Postby Slaran » 11.04.13 11:44pm

Perhaps the largest problem many players have when trying to beat classic Metroid is that we've become used to modern video games where you can afford to continually take risks and move at a quick pace. NES Metroid doesn't play by those rules, and it will punish you for every mistake that you make. The key to playing a game like that is patience. Unlike modern games, where you can just shoot up a target the moment you see it and run on by, Metroid requires you to wait, line up the opportunity, take out one enemy, and move on.

Unless you're a total boss that has practiced at the game and can leap around and dodge enemies, you have to take the game step by step, consisting of stopping, shooting one enemy down, then moving, stopping, and continuing. That's the safe way to play, and the only way for an average Joe like me to survive.

The problem is that we're so used to moving quickly and continually knowing what to do and having the ability to respawn at checkpoints that when we apply that kind of risky gameplay to Metroid, we get...well, torn up.

Patience, a pen and paper (maps ftw), and a little practice and you will quickly get into the hang of it and start having fun as well.
This is so true. I died a lot when I played the game as a kid because I was always trying to move forward fast but eventually I was able to overcome my impatience when playing the game and was doing a lot lot lot better. Dying and having to refill your health oh man that was a pain in the ... man o man did I hate it but it helps you learn a lesson in patience.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 11.05.13 8:39am

I was going to try the MDB hack but I can never get patches to work no matter how much I try so gave up.

I cuold send you my rom and could you patch it up for me, or is that not legit?

Craig

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 11.08.13 4:36pm

I was going to try the MDB hack but I can never get patches to work no matter how much I try so gave up.

I cuold send you my rom and could you patch it up for me, or is that not legit?

Craig
Nope, sorry, I cannot send you the ROM. It's definitely not difficult to patch a ROM, there is plenty of help available online. Here's a good place to start.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 05.20.14 12:37am

Like it was said above, the AI for the creatures could be exploited (much like luring the shriekbats to an early death). The Zoomers (I think thats what they are at least) in Brinstar that move in the wavy flight patterns are easy to dodge and by-pass when you are used to their patterns. Usually they show up on the screen moving from the top to the bottom so one well-timed jump will let them pass harmlessly under our heroine. I don't remember what the creatures in Norfair near the various missile packs are called that fly but move like an inverted Sidehopper that take several hits from your beam, but I know how I avoid those beasts. The key is keeping them as close to the edge of the screen so you don't trigger its aggro range. Tag it with an Ice Beam, then a single missile will send it to its pixelated death. Or just pepper it with the wave beam if that is what you have as it moves up and down without trying to eat your sack lunch.

Until you have a few Energy tanks under your belt and the Screw Attack to say screw it to accuracy, the key is to proceed slowly to avoid damage as much as possible because it is so frustrating to have to start up again at 30 health and can only take a handful of hits before you have to do it again with a rage-face.

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 05.20.14 5:04am

Thanks for the reply, I have given up for now but will likely return again to it!

Maetch

Zeta Metroid

Postby Maetch » 05.23.14 11:40pm

As far as the Super/Zero version goes, Kraid is not "hard", but he represents the first real test in the game to determine how skilled you are at reaching and deducing his weak point.
:metroid: = Ultimate Warrior
8) = Ultimate Warrior
Therefore, 8) = :metroid:

Now you know why they call it Metroid.

---

This is the song, written for the chase scene!
This is the song, Samus and James!
He tri-ied to kill me with a forklift! (Ole!)

gbf2000

Hatchling

Postby gbf2000 » 02.28.15 2:40pm

I do only play the first Metroid with the strategy manga guide. Its more fun and makes it a whole lot easier :awesome:
"I'd rather die than lose my life" - Someone

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 03.02.15 1:40pm

I do only play the first Metroid with the strategy manga guide. Its more fun and makes it a whole lot easier :awesome:
I used to think this way too when I was a young lad (so much more fun when I know where everything is!). The hard-fought fight is always more memorable. :P

Not to say I didn't use a map my first time with Metroid II. Perhaps I kinda regret it now but at the time the GB screen and world felt like some serious obstacles to my beating the game.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 02.02.16 10:29am

It only took me 18 years to complete this game, maps work wonders.

Admittedly I did use a couple of save states so I didn't have to keep replaying areas. ..but still finally! !!!

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 02.26.16 10:11pm

Well congratulations are in order. Metroid was one of the hardest game I've ever played in my 30 years of gaming experience. I still struggle with the game, especially with the cheerio-of-hate Rinkas (the damn things) and Tourian. Timing in the game is key and the multiple enemies that show up on the screen when facing Mother Brain really bog down the processing speed. It always throws me off and the knockback you take from any hit always nudges me into the lava liquid or acid or whatever it is and that destroys my energy reserves.

I love the game but it can be frustrating.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic