Is Metroid II: The Return of Samus worth it?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Is Metroid II: The Return of Samus worth it?

Postby Xandalf » 06.26.15 5:39pm

Hey. As a big fan of Metroid, I seriously only have 5 games in the series - Prime, Fusion, Metroid, Echoes, and Corruption. Technically I own 3 - Prime (which comes with the original), Fusion, and Trilogy. I love and remember Metroid as long as I'm alive, but honestly with playing such little Metroid I feel kind of like a loser. I would like to play them all if possible (Other M looks good actually) but I heard that Metroid II was on the 3DS Virtual Console. So I thought, "Should I get it?" I don't want to get it just for the sake of owning more Metroid games. I already very quickly determined I'll get Super on the Wii U, but Metroid II isn't considered as... well good.
Is it really worth the four bucks? I don't want to waste money on stuff I won't end up liking it. Of course, some people will like games more than others for their own reasons. I would list what I do and do not like, but I'd rather somebody tell me what's good and bad like how Zynux did with Super Metroid.

Could somebody tell me whether I would like this game or not, and what would make me think so? And I already know one thing I'll like about this game, which is the Metroid evolution!

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: Is Metroid II: The Return of Samus worth it?

Postby Meta Ridley » 06.26.15 6:01pm

I didn't enjoy Metroid II for the same reason I didn't enjoy the first one. They feel dated especially after Metroid Fusion, Super, and Zero Mission spoiled me. Hey you might enjoy it, I'm sure many people here will disagree with me, but I personally feel like it isn't worth the money.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.26.15 7:34pm

Metroid II, like many of Nintendo's early sequels, is very unlike its predecessor while remaining similar enough to bear the name. It's not quite as drastic in its departure as Zelda II was, but it's still considerably different from its classic contemporaries. Such changes include:
  • The game is entirely linear, there's little reason to track back to previous areas.
  • Mechanically the game isn't much improved from the first, the biggest changes being the Spider Ball & Space Jump.
  • Like Metroid, beam weapons don't stack, they instead switch out requiring one to choose which they wish to carry. Areas further in the game will offer multiple beam weapons, allowing players to swap out frequently, but like with previous games you'll have little need to use anything but the strongest, at least not until the end where you'll be unable to advance without the Ice Beam, though at least it's purposefully made available to you for that very reason.
  • Missile Expansions and Energy Tanks aren't well hidden and most are obviously placed.
  • There are no bosses other than the Metroids themselves, and even with 6 forms the fights can grow tiresome. Zeta's and Omega's can be a challenge, but with enough missiles and energy they're little more than a chore.
  • There isn't much music beyond the main track, ruins theme, Metroid and Queen fight themes. Everything else is environmental sound effects.

It's not a traditional 2D Metroid experience and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than series completionists. If you're that interested in Metroid II, look up "Another Metroid 2 Remake" instead. It's only about 2/3 complete, but it's soo much better than the original.

There's also Metroid Zero Mission on GBA, but it isn't available for we FILTHY Americans on VC yet because the Japanese are still mad about the bombs. At least that's the only conceivable reason I can think of for the games ONE YEAR ABSENCE from the American eShop. As such I'd say emulate it, if you have a computer. Or a hacked Wii. Or a hacked Wii OS in your Wii U. Or a hacked PSP. Or a hacked PSP OS in your Vita. Or a hacked PS3. Or I guess you could always buy it used if you have a GBA/DS and can find a good price. I think it to be one of the most enjoyable Metroid experiences out there, but it's not worth more than original price at best.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 06.26.15 10:33pm

I'm a bit on and off about linearity. Linear can be boring, and non-linear can be frustrating. I didn't enjoy the original much because the non-linearity made it impossible for me. That was really the only reason. Sounds like it's worth it, but I might not end up enjoying it. I guess it'll depend later on. Maybe it'll be a nice thing to pass by time, or a thing to play on the side if I forgot cartridges while elsewhere. I think I'll like it to an extent at the least. I mean, it's Metroid. I might try out the remake too, that sounds cool.

Zero Mission looks good. I don't understand why it isn't in the American VC, especially since America likes Metroid a lot more than Japan.

Psicoso

Hatchling

Postby Psicoso » 06.28.15 11:26pm

As the Metroid I was really introduced to (playing classic at a friend's house for a few minutes vs owning II), I must say play with the lights off and volume up to simulate the feeling of 1) Samus alone in the enviroment and 2) playing on the old brick in the middle of the night with earphones.

Trust me.

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 06.29.15 11:32am

When I first played Metroid II: Return of Samus, I didn't know what the complaints were that people had. Very little music was unfortunate. I personally found it enjoyable, though a bit frustrating in some parts because I had to make sure I cleared out all the Metroids. You cannot progress until you do, so you'll have to be sure you create a mental map of where you've gone in certain cookie-cutter locations. Funnily, when I first played Metroid for the NES on the Game Cube, I got very frustrated with it and said that if Super Metroid hadn't been my first Metroid experience, I would have likely hated the series. RoS didn't give me that trouble.

Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 06.29.15 10:11pm

I'd have to say Metroid 2 is both the least linear, and the most linear 2D Metroid.

You're confined to each zone until you eradicate all the metroids in that section, but within the zone itself there's no order to which anything has to be done, unlike the rest of the series. You're free to get the powerups in the zone in any order you like (or you're free to just flat out ignore certain powerups). It's a linear game connected by nonlinear pockets if that makes any sense.

Apothem is right though. I would play AM2R first, not only because I believe it to be the best thing to ever bear the name Metroid, but because you'll get a better feel for the original game's level layout after playing it. If you go into Metroid 2 cold, the level design won't make ANY sense.

MerlinDrazziw

Hatchling

Postby MerlinDrazziw » 07.12.15 10:02am

Metroid II was my first entry in the Metroid franchise and I loved it. It's still one of my most played GB games and I've spent some time on the VC version on my 3DS as well. I think I explored every part of the game and still remember where I need to go to for the Metroids and powerups. Once I just went through the 'area blocking' lava to get to some other Metroids as I couldn't find the last one of the area where I should've stayed. For me it's still a great game to play.
As for AM2R .. I can't compare it as I can't run it. Surely with the MZM like graphics, it will look better .. but did they change the game basics? (destroy x metroids and advance to next area)
Grt. Merlin

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 08.07.15 12:11pm

Dude, it's $4.

You probably made your decision by now, but $4 is the cost of a latte at Starbucks, and this will last you a bit longer. I'm not sure of your budget, but most people don't think twice about spending $4 on a coffee or a beer (honestly, I'd rather spend $9 on a six pack and drink it at home though). Why are you thinking twice about spending money on a Metroid game? (one that ISN'T Hunters at least, lol!)

Just be aware of the hidden passage in the first ruins area that's poorly hidden inside a Wallfire. And of the linearity.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 08.07.15 3:07pm

I haven't decided actually. :P But I think I have now. I read all of the comments, but CapCom ultimately made me decide. 4 dollars wouldn't even put a dent in my money, and on top of that it's Metroid. I can't possibly hate anything related to Metroid. I mind as well have a game to play on my 3DS in case I forget cartridges or something. I'll tell you what I think of it once I get it. Thanks guys!

But this thread could still be useful for others who are interested in the game or wish to ask the same question.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 08.09.15 9:44pm

Cool! Hope you like it! It was my first Metroid, so it has a special place in my heart.

It is a bit clunky in that there isn't much enemy variety, the soundtrack is kind of lacking, and it's pretty easy to get lost. A lot of people don't like the lack of backtracking, but I don't think it's an issue. For an original Game Boy, it's one of the best titles on the system, especially considering the gameplay leap from the original game.

The other thing is the Chozo ruins provide a great sense of atmosphere (check out the instruction booklet for the backstory and map, too - we've got a PDF on the site, or you can read it on your DS). And the mutations were a nice touch. That's really where the bulk of the game is, tracking them down and finding Chozo treasure.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 08.16.15 11:27pm

I've got to agree with Cap. I've been playing Metroid since 1987 and loved every time I've played one of the games. I remember how stoked I was back in '91 when Metroid II was released. I've still got all the original packaging and user manuals to boot. I would say, yes, it is worth the $4 purchase price.

"Clunky" is a great way to describe the game but noting its age and its platform, RoS provides a great gameplay experience. Trying to move with precision against some of the metroid mutations could raise the old blood pressure, but blasting them into their pixelated bits was always a nice satisfaction. While it lacked the interchangeable or stacking beams, it gave us the beams that we all have come to appreciate.

As for the music, I actually appreciate what the game designers did with the game. Its minimalist approach concerning music really elevated the sense that Samus was fighting all alone on a deserted and dangerous world. The music was no less repetitive than other Metroid installments, just less fleshed out.

I do wish that there were bosses of some sort through the game, but location and difficulty of some of the higher level Metroids really served as a few dozen mini-mini-bosses.

IMHO, Metroid 2 is a terrific game for aesthetics and moving the story forward without telling you what it is doing. Go for it!!

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 08.17.15 1:56am

Of course I'll agree with Cap.

Why are you robbing yourself of a Metroid experience even if it is "dated".
don't let the old graphics and sounds fool you. Metroid II is a great game once you get into it.
I know it's not for everyone but i rather like the soundtrack.

If you call yourself a Metroid fan then you owe it to yourself to play and experience it.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 08.20.15 2:15pm

Alright, so I (finally) downloaded the game on my 3DS. I have to say that I do like it. You guys were pretty accurate about how to described Metroid II. I did notice some power-ups weren't that well hidden, and somehow I understood Mayan Mystery's linear and non-linear thing. When I first saw an Alpha Metroid, I thought I accidentally sequence broke or skipped ahead because I was expecting a regular Metroid first.

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 08.20.15 9:53pm

Well done. It is probably the simplest of all Metroids concerning item locations with the possible exception of the Spider Ball, but the game had just a fun feel to go along with it.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic