Your thoughts on each of the classic games

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Your thoughts on each of the classic games

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 01.09.16 1:18am

Kind of self explanitory just say what you think about each of the 2D games

Metroid[NES] I can't stand it's level of datedness it's litterally too old to play for my taste.

Metroid 2 ROS I think this one deserves a bit more attention I personally think it's a solid game ... Nothing grand but For what it is I think it needs a little more attention gameplay is good, music is ... Lacking but the gameplay makes up for it. Its not for everyone but just a little more attention would be good IMO.

Super: A grand game showing little age gameplay,music,atmosphere it's all great ... Perfect? ... No but it's a grand game that's worth a dig to find.

Fusion: Great game that gets a lot of bull despite powerbombs being used for 98% useless and my dislike for ice missles I enjoyed the story and he bosses were awesome ... They are my favorite bosses in the 2D games ... If you think about it. If you are good enough and blaze through the game you actually see through the illusion that the game is slow and see the truth. the game is quite fast paced and the x exolve quite fast along with you however not for those against story and strict linearity.

Zero mission: I'm torn between which is better (and you won't hear this often but) fusion or zero mission both are awesome games that IMO surpass super metroid in certainty

So what do you think of each of them? You don't need to be as detailed as me. Equal,more or less doesn't matter to me.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Re: Your thoughts on each of the classic games

Postby TheChosenOne » 01.09.16 4:15am

Metroid - My experience with M1 is as an unlockable. Never went all that far into the game. The datedness doesn't really bother me...I just found it difficult to navigate and generally difficult to play. I've never been good at NES games.

Metroid II - M2 is the only game in the series I've never played at all. What I know about it is based on basic Internet research and extrapolated from other games. I can't speak for the gameplay, obviously. I think the general idea of the story is a bit odd, but to its credit, it does offer up the first important look at Samus's character in the form of the metroid hatchling sequence. I guess this also serves as a pivotal plot point for the rest of the series, as well. So as a game, I've never heard too much to tempt me into playing Metroid 2, but in the context of the series, it sets the stage for a lot of things.

Super - I missed out on the SNES era, so I had to get this on Virtual Console. I want to like Super, but I'm not able to really get through it. I think it's because even though I haven't beaten it, I already know a lot about it. If I had come into it fresh, knowing nothing about the series, I think I would have really been motivated to beat it. But as it is, I know how the game is structured, I know where it all leads, and I know what happens on the way, so when I start running into frustrations, I'm not motivated to see what happens next. I also have the burden of approaching it as a game developer, which takes a lot of the mysticism out of video games. It's not that I don't like it...I'm just not all that interested in playing it.

Fusion - I keep meaning to play through Fusion again. I haven't done so since Other M came out, and I just feel like it would be a different way to see it. I do think it's a good game, and I think it's presented well, striking a solid balance between gameplay and story, but still placing its main focus on environment and ambience. It also has a game design element I don't tend to see in other places - the fear that comes out of realizing your in-game enemies are attacking save stations, thereby threatening your real-world ambitions.

Zero Mission - I also have a hard time choosing between Fusion and MZM. I think MZM is a better game, but I think I took more away from the experience of playing Fusion. Zero Mission doesn't have the musical strength of Super, and I think that detracts from the atmosphere a bit. It lacks the light horror element that pervades large pieces of Super and Fusion...the world feels a little tame. I don't remember playing MZM and thinking "OH GOD NOW WHAT?!" As I say, though, as a game, it's quite good.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 02.17.16 2:07pm

Metroid (NES) - I haven't picked up on this one much, so I don't have much say. However, not too long ago I was using the 'Amiibo Tap' and one of my figures unlocked the NES Metroid. Honestly, it wasn't as difficult as I remembered it being. Probably just the original navigation that was getting me, but I could always be lame and use an online map. I might try it again someday.

Metroid II (GB) - I feel like this is one of the most unappreciated games of the series. The gameplay was rather clean, being able to crouch unexpectedly made things a lot easier. Still no map, but I feel the game was built easy enough to be able to know where to go next. Most of the Metroids were a nice and fair challenge, with the exception of the accursed Zeta Metroid, although I wish recovering missiles back was easier since these things eat them up fast. Now, I think my biggest gripe about this game is the knock back physics. I think the game says, "Once you get hit by something, you're flung in a random direction rather than getting knocked backwards." And usually... that direction is not favorable. I'd give it something between a 8.5/10 to a 9.5/10.

Super Metroid (SNES) - I could go on for quite a while about why I love this game, but I'll shorten it. ;) I think this game is an absolutely amazing example of how video games should be built. It did not need tutorials telling you what buttons to press. It's difficult to describe, but the game teaches you itself. In the Ceres Station, the doors automatically open. When you arrive at Zebes, the doors do not. Then you realize that you can shoot the doors open. Huzzah! Now there's a red door. It's not opening. Let's travel more - oh, I bet these missiles I just got will open that red doors! And so on. If you were stranded on an alien planet in real life, you wouldn't have come across a random old guy who tells you how to survive. I think there are so many things that make this one of the most solid entries of the series, and video games overall. I give it a 10/10 or something close to that.

Metroid Fusion (GBA) - This was one of my first Metroid games, so I'll admit some of it is nostalgic bias. Honestly, the linearity didn't bother me much. I feel that we could use some linear Metroid games since some people find the non-linearity so difficult and confusing. (See the Super Metroid Miiverse community for example.) Although honestly, it's not that linear. There were still many times where I get lost, mostly in Sector 5 and 6. I'll also say that this has the best soundtrack of all the classic Metroid games. (Sector 4 is my favorite from Fusion, although I think Brinstar Plant Overgrowth beats it.) I also found this the most unique game in the entire franchise. I no longer feel that I'm killing random, semi-innocent natives to a planet but I'm wiping out a deadly virus that could basically destroy the galaxy. I'd give it a rough 9.5/10 to 10/10.

I have yet to play Metroid: Zero Mission, so I'm afraid I don't have anything to say on that.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 02.18.16 8:57pm

Xandalf ... Dude if you can get ZM. Grab it. Just to note it made it to the american eshop on wii u just so you know.
Also both of you thanks for the reply's

MerlinDrazziw

Hatchling

Postby MerlinDrazziw » 02.29.16 3:50pm

Metroid (NES) - Played this game on Wii VC, but never got far in it. Not my favorit 2D metroid game. It wasn't the first Metroid game I played, so that may have influenced my opinion of the game.

Metroid II - Return of Samus (GB) - This was the first Metroid game I played and one of the best games on the GB. Spent a lot of hours replaying this game, even on 3DS VC. After beating the game, I started exploring every nook and cranny. Great game.

Super Metroid (SNES) - Played this game on a borrowed SNES and had good memories of it. But I must have played a different version back then (could've been a NTSC version), as I was slightly disappointed with the VC version (french/german text overlay in PAL version). Between the start and end of the game, I enjoyed playing this entry and beating it a few years ago.

Metroid Fusion (GBA) - Great follow-up on Super Metroid. Different setup on retrieving upgrades and unlocking new areas. Some areas were hard to get through, but I managed somehow. Never beaten it though, farthest I got was the last battle with SA-X.

Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) - A retelling of Metroid with an addition. Graphics were on par with Fusion and the music was great. This game was certainly easier to play than Metroid. Hint system was good for a first playthrough, but only for the first part of the game. Going into the pirate ship as ZSS was a fine addition and a bit frantic at times. Have beaten this game a couple of times (but not with 100% items) and started playing it on Wii U VC.

Overall, I like the portable Metroid games more than the console versions. Only had problems with shinesparking that prevented me from getting some missile upgrades (or other items).
Grt. Merlin

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 02.29.16 5:25pm

Xandalf ... Dude if you can get ZM. Grab it. Just to note it made it to the american eshop on wii u just so you know.
Also both of you thanks for the reply's
Don't worry, I definitely plan to get it on the American VC. ;)

I'll tell you my thoughts when I finish it.

Tuhlohr

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Postby Tuhlohr » 06.12.16 3:04am

Original Metroid: At first i didn't care for it. However halfway through my second plythrough i really fell in love with it. It definitely has it's flaws, but I feel it really embodies the spirit of exploration. It letting you choose your path makes it very replayable, And it's physics are both Rewarding and punishing, which makes mastering the controls extremely satisfying. I think it could definitely benefit from a map though, and farming is extremely tedious at times, Getting stuck under platforms is frustrating too. A couple of irritating flaws, but a very solid game overall.

Metroid 2: Unfortunately i haven't completed the game so i really can't properly judge it. That being said I don't really like it but i really want to, it's a very ambitious game, but i feel it's too limited by the Gameboy's hardwear. But I need to complete it before i can fully judge it.

Super Metroid: Sounds cliche to say, But it really is a Perfect Game. Just like the first game i didn't like it until my second play through, However everything the First game did, Super did better and more. Honestly everything about this game has already been said, so i'll just move on.

Metroid Fusion: Very Flawed Metroid game, But a very solid video game in it's own right. It's biggest flaw for me is it's unskippable navigation room conversations, It brings the games pacing to a complete halt on repeat playthroughs. I like the story, but the dialogue is very stiff at points. I don't care for the new control scheme; no longer selecting items with the select button, R button no longer used for aiming down, wall jumping is nerved, No longer able to have a run button (although that's the GBA's fault not the game), and stacking items. However I think the physics are very good (aside from the previously stated nerved wall jump.) The game has extremely satisfying sound design, which i don't normally hear people mention. Really nothing special in terms of the power ups, they're honestly a step down from Super's.

Zero Mission. Great remake aside from; it being too linear (when compared to the original), A hint system that can't be turned off, and Physics that make platforming and aiming more difficult than all the prievious games. The control scheme suffers from the same problems as fusion for me. The stealth gameplay near the end is a fantastic addition and really makes the game stand apart from the rest. Overal it's a great game in it's own right, but it kind of just feels unnecessary. Super Metroid was already essentially a remake of the original, so instead of having a new Metroid game with a New world and new enemies, we just got the first game for the third time, but not as good as the last remake. It is a very good game though so i don't mean to sound too harsh.

I grew up with Zero Mission and Fusion, so i have a lot of Nostalgia for them but objectively i surprisingly find myself enjoying those two the least (not counting M2 since i haven't finished it) I just don't think they have replayablity Metroid 1 and Super have.

Phobos-Romulus

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Postby Phobos-Romulus » 06.12.16 2:30pm

Metroid 1- Still my favorite game in terms of aesthetic, it's eerie and incredibly moody for an 8-bit game. The music is absolutely incredible. For an old NES game, it feels very fluid and all around very playable. The only things I don't like are some jumping physics, the password system and an overall difficulty in knowing where you are(could've benefitted greatly from a map). However, I like the feeling that you can actually get lost in this game, makes it all the more creepy.

Metroid 2- Very under appreciated game, despite adding so many of the abilities we now take for granted. ;) Finetuned the first game's physics, and the atmosphere and aesthetic are just as isolating and effective. Complaints are a lack of exploration and item collection, overall screen size and other minor issues. People rag on this game too much for being linear, when in reality, all the games excluding the first are pretty linear.

Super Metroid- The best of the entire franchise. Perfect in every way. Can't add anything that hasn't been said already. According to my own specific tastes, I still prefer the isolating aesthetics of the first 2 games, but Super is definitely a gorgeous looking game in its own right.

Metroid Fusion- Definitely a totally different direction, which I'm fine with. Don't really love the aesthetic of the game, feels too clean. Fun to play and very interesting, but as a Metroid game, it feels very restrictive, which gets on my nerves.

Metroid: Zero Mission- Still a good game, but feels like a very diluted remake, completely removing the sense of isolation, confusion and mystery that the first game handles so well. I feel that the physics feel stiff and unsure compared to Super's incredibly fluid and fast paced gameplay. The Comic art style is one I don't super care for, but its still a good looking game.
Wanna see some Metroid art? View my gallery!

http://www.phobos-romulus.deviantart.com

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 08.23.16 6:16pm

People rag on this game too much for being linear, when in reality, all the games excluding the first are pretty linear.
About time someone else wakes up to reality

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 08.23.16 6:36pm

All the games are linear, yes, but some are more linear then others. Which is probably the main contention with Fusion
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 08.24.16 2:46pm

I don't understand why people are saying Zero Mission feels stiff and Super is so fluid and fast. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 08.24.16 4:19pm

I'd disagree meta. I'd say both are fluid but zero mission a bit less fluid. Precision is more important in zero mission I think thats where it comes from

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 08.24.16 5:11pm

Ah, that could be what I'm thinking of.

CrazyMissilesSamus

Mochtroid

Postby CrazyMissilesSamus » 09.02.16 4:26pm

Metroid (NES).- Definitely not my favorite. I like it, but not as much as others. However, it's been a long time since I played it, so I'm thinking of picking it up and playing it again just to see if maybe I change my mind about it.

Metroid 2 (GB).- Also not my favorite, but it kind of has a nostalgic value to me. I had it years ago, and I always got lost and didn't know what to do unlike in other Metroid games where you somehow figure out what to do or where to go (For the most part). So, I stopped playing it and haven't done so since then. In fact, I think I lost it.

Super Metroid (SNES).- Well, what can I say? It's an awesome game with great level design, exploration and pretty cool bosses as well as small twists, like the first part of the game where you go to the lab, find dead scientists and fight against Ridley only for him to escape and then finding out that the whole place will explode and you have to escape as fast as possible.

Metroid Fusion (GBA).- Never played it, can't say anything about it.

Metroid Zero Mission (GBA).- This one is one of my favorites besides Super Metroid. It's a remake done right. It doesn't just remake the first Metroid, I actually think that it also upgrades it and improves it a bit. The last part in the Space Pirate ship is also pretty epic to me, especially when you get your suit back.

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic