Was SR388 really destroyed at the end of Fusion?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Was SR388 really destroyed at the end of Fusion?

Postby Mayan Mystery » 01.18.16 2:22am

So pretty much every forum and discussion of Fusion and/or SR388 says that it was destroyed at the end of Fusion. Yet it is never directly stated that this is the case. The planet is never seen physically blowing up like Zebes and Phaaze, and the only indication for such is the bright flash at the end of the game, and considering the fact that the BSL station is said to create a vaporization field such is to be expected. But SR388 is a pretty big planet, and I'm not sure I believe that a self destructing station crashing on it would be NEARLY enough to cause it's destruction. Wiping out all life on its surface. Yeah, I can buy that. But I'm not the planet itself. Am I missing something?

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Re: Was SR388 really destroyed at the end of Fusion?

Postby TheChosenOne » 01.18.16 2:52am

Technically, I don't think there was anything to confirm that it had been destroyed, so if you wanted to operate under that assumption and, for instance, write a fan fiction, then it wouldn't violate the canon.

However, I don't get the impression that Samus would be comfortable with just leaving and assuming everything had worked out, considering her reasons for destroying the planet. I'm pretty sure she would have gone back after the blast to confirm that the job was done. Again, technically, there's nothing to suggest she did this prior to or during the epilogue, so if you really wanted to, you could pick up the story immediately afterward, have her go back to confirm the planet's destruction, only to find that only half of the surface was scorched, and then kick off another adventure as she goes down to fight another round against the remaining X there.

But I always just operate under the assumption that from Samus's perspective, the destruction of the planet was obvious and complete. This is no more valid that your own theory, of course, but I feel it fits better.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 01.18.16 8:44am

It's HEAVILY implied it is, but no hard evidence.

Samus states in game she intended to destroy both the ship and planet. There's certainly a flashy enough explosion, and on Samus' ship monitor there's what looks like a heat-map of where the planet was, and a "field" completely engulfing the planet.

http://www.metroid-database.com/feature ... hp#stage04
However, when asked how SR388 was detroyed, rather than saying it was not, Sakamoto on the spot stated it was an Anti-matter bomb, though jokingly (probably because he didn't think about it).
He did not feel the need to correct the question or elaborate on the planets survival. So it doesn't seem like the series director was against the idea at all that it was destroyed.

If you don't believe the bomb could destroy it, also remember it's a sci-fi universe, with ghosts, magic, psionics, planet sized living creatures (phaaze), the "canon" manga sported a ship that could generate black holes, and a female humanoid who can casually drop miniture nukes and is completely unphased by their detonation while everything around her is reduced to ashes. A planet busting bomb is not out of the question, especially not in a series where the destruction of a planet is almost a damn staple.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 01.18.16 5:30pm

Oh, I don't doubt there exists a planet busting bomb in the Metroid Universe. But I was always under the impression that it was the station crashing into the planet that people said caused its destruction. Still, if this is actually the case then I suppose I have no reason do doubt the planet was destroyed.

But now this make me wonder. If the BSL did have a planet busting antimatter bomb on board, 1, why would they have a planet-busting antimatter bomb on board with a bunch of civilians and scientists, and 2, why would they have it on a space station orbiting a planet? That seems like really dumb design to me.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 01.18.16 5:40pm

This bothered me too.

It takes me a lot of suspension of disbelief (even for metroid) to believe that the BSL could destroy the entire planet.

While it is heavily implied that Samus' intention was to destroy both the station and planet, we never actually see the planet explode so it makes things even more frustrating.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 01.18.16 8:05pm

I don't think so ... Little to no life and the x dead I'd believe it (assuming that there isn't another planet that has them). Also a damaged surface and possibly destroyed ruins (even though despite the lava the ruins were quite intact) but the planet itself destroyed I din't think so. Samus has been wrong 11 count em 11 times

1: samus thought gandrayda was a pirate
2: she thought adam was the deleter
3: she thought motherbrain was madiline burgman
4: samus thought anthony died
5: samus thought "adam" (fusion) was a dumb AI that ONLY followed orders.
6: Samus thought there was only 1 sa-x on board
7: samus thought ridley was dead from in zero,prime,prime 3, and other m so +4
10: samus thought the federation was her ally
11: samus thought that killing all the metroids on sr388 was an awesome idea.

there are probibly more but I don't know them. The point is maybe she's wrong about the planet too Reguardless it would be dangerous to go down there considering the high radiation and high temps that would be stuck in the atmoshere take note that not even samus's suit by itself couldn't handle the radiation levels of phazon (somehow the feds can shield it but the chozo can't) I don't expect samus to make land fall anytime soon on there I mean she can handle the temps but probibly not the radiation

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 01.18.16 8:43pm

Oh, I don't doubt there exists a planet busting bomb in the Metroid Universe. But I was always under the impression that it was the station crashing into the planet that people said caused its destruction. Still, if this is actually the case then I suppose I have no reason do doubt the planet was destroyed.

But now this make me wonder. If the BSL did have a planet busting antimatter bomb on board, 1, why would they have a planet-busting antimatter bomb on board with a bunch of civilians and scientists, and 2, why would they have it on a space station orbiting a planet? That seems like really dumb design to me.
The only thing I can imagine, is that even though it's a research station with civillians on it, it's civilians conducting secret military research building/raising illegal bio weapons. And the best way to make sure nothing gets your secrets, or that your secrets get you, than an emergency bomb capable of taking everything out within an impressively large distance. Especially since the last time they were at SR388 to research metroids they got ganked by Space Pirates who stole their Metroid cargo.

It could also be that the "Self Destruct Charges" were also part of the stations power supply and/or generator. The concept of a generator using anti-matter isn't unheard of.. just not even imaginatively possible at the moment, and highly dangerous... unless in Metroid's super-future they've figured out how to do it.

If there was a weird point to be stressed by Fusion (and Other M). Why is the GF desperately researching and building Bio weapons when they have no known enemy post Super Metroid? I can only think of the Kriken Empire... but I'm not sure that Nintendo remembers they exist.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 01.18.16 9:41pm

The only thing I can imagine, is that even though it's a research station with civillians on it, it's civilians conducting secret military research building/raising illegal bio weapons. And the best way to make sure nothing gets your secrets, or that your secrets get you, than an emergency bomb capable of taking everything out within an impressively large distance. Especially since the last time they were at SR388 to research metroids they got ganked by Space Pirates who stole their Metroid cargo.
True, but would any scientists volunteer to be on a space station that they know carries a bomb capable of obliterating an entire planet beneath their feet? I know I wouldn't if I were in their position.
It could also be that the "Self Destruct Charges" were also part of the stations power supply and/or generator. The concept of a generator using anti-matter isn't unheard of.. just not even imaginatively possible at the moment, and highly dangerous... unless in Metroid's super-future they've figured out how to do it.
There are reasonable scientific explanations for how it can be done, such as keeping it in a strong passive electric field, and feeding in positrons like a fuel injection system, so suspension of disbelief is a bit easier for me with this particular detail.
If there was a weird point to be stressed by Fusion (and Other M). Why is the GF desperately researching and building Bio weapons when they have no known enemy post Super Metroid? I can only think of the Kriken Empire... but I'm not sure that Nintendo remembers they exist.
I think at this point it's accepted fact that Sakamoto's slightly less competent as a writer than George Lucas, so in retrospect, all this confusion could probably be attributed to Sakamoto made a boo boo.

EDIT: Did some research

It's not SR388, but let's assume SR388 has similar mass and density as Earth.

In order for you to blow it up by antimatter, you would need 2.5*10^16 kg of antimatter, something I'm not sure would be on board a space station merely as a power supply. That's probably more than the mass of the BSL station itself.

For an impact, we would need something 60% of the mass of the planet to collide with it to break it up into little pieces, assuming that object is travelling at escape velocity.

In other words, there's no way in hell SR388 could have ever been destroyed by the BSL unless it's SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than we initially thought.

Here's the article if you're interested http://qntm.org/destroy

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 01.18.16 11:06pm

True, but would any scientists volunteer to be on a space station that they know carries a bomb capable of obliterating an entire planet beneath their feet? I know I wouldn't if I were in their position.
Ever heard of Oni from Halo?
In other words, there's no way in hell SR388 could have ever been destroyed by the BSL unless it's SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than we initially thought.
It's not uncommon in fictional works for military to have absolute and extreme paranoia over their stuff, even if it's run by a civilians.
I don't think it's so much volunteered work so much as stupid high salaries.

Consider this: These are the same scientists working to build Bio weapons capable of clearing planets of life that can't be taken out with regular police or military force, for a seemingly non existent enemy. The bomb become assurance that should they fuck up, at least their fuck up won't reach their loved ones, if any.

Samus originally assumed the detonation charges enough alone would be enough to get rid of the X on the planet, it was Adam's idea to crash it into the planet.
Crashing it into the planet might have achieved nothing.
Adam's proposal was merely to move the station close to the planet, putting it at more towards the center of the blast. I doubt they thought the impact would achieve anything.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 01.18.16 11:18pm

Not even dark samus was immune to death and last time I checked if your atoms cease to exist it's REALLY hard to come back also think about this the x need to feed what little wildlife left is would not be enough to sustain the x population for long the enviorment created and stuck in the atmosphere would kill enough to end the population due to starvation and again thats assuming some wildlife still lived.

Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 01.19.16 2:45am

Ever heard of Oni from Halo?
It's not uncommon in fictional works for military to have absolute and extreme paranoia over their stuff, even if it's run by a civilians.
I don't think it's so much volunteered work so much as stupid high salaries.

Consider this: These are the same scientists working to build Bio weapons capable of clearing planets of life that can't be taken out with regular police or military force, for a seemingly non existent enemy. The bomb become assurance that should they fuck up, at least their fuck up won't reach their loved ones, if any.
I've never owned an xbox so I'm not as familiar with Halo as a lot of others here.

But everything else makes sense I suppose.

Samus originally assumed the detonation charges enough alone would be enough to get rid of the X on the planet, it was Adam's idea to crash it into the planet.
Crashing it into the planet might have achieved nothing.
Adam's proposal was merely to move the station close to the planet, putting it at more towards the center of the blast. I doubt they thought the impact would achieve anything.
I thought she just intended to get rid of the X on the station and Adam proposed crashing it into the planet to get rid of all the X there. As I understood it was going to be enough to kill all the X on the planet but they weren't going to actually blow the planet up.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 01.19.16 2:58am

I thought she just intended to get rid of the X on the station and Adam proposed crashing it into the planet to get rid of all the X there. As I understood it was going to be enough to kill all the X on the planet but they weren't going to actually blow the planet up.
On the first point, yes, that's correct. On the second point, I don't think the game was specific. I believe the quote was something along the lines of, "you might be able to include the planet in the vaporization field." As to whether or not Adam was suggesting that the planet would be totally destroyed as a result of that, I don't think it was defined.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 01.19.16 8:52pm

Nope.

The X must not leave here. I must destroy them all before the Federation arrives. This station has a self-destruct mechanism. I must use it to destroy the X here and on the planet. I must send them to oblivion. Them, the station, and myself, if I have to.
The first time the topic of detroying the X on SR388 happens in during a monologue. Samus doesn't mention smashing the station at all, and directly refers to the station's self destruct mechanism.

You know that detonating this station in high orbit would not guarantee the complete extinction of the X parasites, even though the station would be utterly destroyed... You would only succeed in removing the one obstacle to the galaxy's ruin...yourself. You would ignore this simple fact and choose death. When Adam decided who would live, he chose incorrectly.

...If you were to alter the station's orbit, then you might be able to include the planet in the vaporization field of the self-destruct detonation.
When Adam talks about moving the the station, he doesn't even suggest to crash it into the planet, simply to move the station closer.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 01.20.16 1:09am

Nope.

The X must not leave here. I must destroy them all before the Federation arrives. This station has a self-destruct mechanism. I must use it to destroy the X here and on the planet. I must send them to oblivion. Them, the station, and myself, if I have to.
For my previous agreement with that statement, I stand corrected. It's been quite a long time since I last played Fusion, and I declined to delve into any research.

Also, loving the use of this for some reason:

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic