Best versions of 2D Metroid Games?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
kcghost

Mochtroid

Best versions of 2D Metroid Games?

Postby kcghost » 04.07.17 10:22am

So I just played through AM2R 1.1 and thought it was fantastic. I played Super Metroid a while back, and *tried* to play the original Metroid but found the controls way too clunky. So I am planning on playing through some more of the 2D lineup, but first I wanted to know what versions of the games I should play, considering that AM2R essentially made the original Metroid 2 obsolete.
I have come across several examples of ways in which the original games have been superseded by re-releases, scratch-built fan made games, or rom hacks. But I don't know if I have the complete picture, or if it is up to date.
Here is what I know:

Metroid - Superseded by Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid II: Return of Samus - Superseded by AM2R
Super Metroid - Superseded by Project Base
Metroid Fusion - Unknown

Am I missing anything? Are there hacks or ports that make Zero Mission or Fusion better?
Is Project Base the best version of Super Metroid?

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: Best versions of 2D Metroid Games?

Postby Infinity's End » 04.12.17 1:29pm

So I just played through AM2R 1.1 and thought it was fantastic. I played Super Metroid a while back, and *tried* to play the original Metroid but found the controls way too clunky. So I am planning on playing through some more of the 2D lineup, but first I wanted to know what versions of the games I should play, considering that AM2R essentially made the original Metroid 2 obsolete.
I have come across several examples of ways in which the original games have been superseded by re-releases, scratch-built fan made games, or rom hacks. But I don't know if I have the complete picture, or if it is up to date.
Here is what I know:

Metroid Fusion - Unknown

Am I missing anything? Are there hacks or ports that make Zero Mission or Fusion better?
I may be biased since I helped work on it, but Metroid MOTHER is probably the best "vanilla enhanced" Metroid NES hack out there.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.12.17 1:40pm

I may be biased since I helped work on it, but Metroid MOTHER is probably the best "vanilla enhanced" Metroid NES hack out there.[/quote]
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 04.15.17 12:39pm

I may be biased since I helped work on it, but Metroid MOTHER is probably the best "vanilla enhanced" Metroid NES hack out there.
[/quote]

Read this and then went straight to youtube to watch a play through. You guys did a really nice job! Samus looks great, obviously, but what I appreciate most is that you didn't attempt to reinvent the wheel. Metroid is an all-time Top 5 game for me so my love for the original is 30 years old and DEEP. That being said, it looks like you made a very playable version that tweaks instead of rewriting. Nicely done.

I guess it goes without saying then that the original Metroid is my favorite 2D game. I really enjoyed ZM, perhaps even more so than Super come to think of it. AM2R deserves an honorable mention here as well as it's such a complete and utterly enjoyable playing experience.

chojin-zoku

Hatchling

Postby chojin-zoku » 04.15.17 6:14pm

Here is what I know:

Metroid Fusion - Unknown

How do I play "justin bailey" on mother when I can't use passwords?

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic