What would you want in a Super Metroid remake?

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!
Zevroid

Metroid

What would you want in a Super Metroid remake?

Postby Zevroid » 06.18.17 2:23pm

Following the announcement of Samus Returns, I've seen a few people scattered about wondering if this could mean a Super Metroid remake in the future. After some thought, I'd like to know, in the unlikely (but possible) event that this does happen, what would you want to see from it?

One thing I'd like to see would be a more challenging final boss. The game has aged remarkably well, but Mother Brain isn't a very tough final boss. All it takes is to spam missiles into her gargantuan head until getting to the Hyper Beam, and unless you kept getting hit up to that point it's not going to actually kill you. Expanding on this fight and making it a more intense battle that the player can actually lose would be greatly appreciated. And give that Save Station right outside more of a purpose.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: What would you want in a Super Metroid remake?

Postby Zynux » 06.18.17 6:20pm

I would like them to try to tackle wall-jumping slightly differently then what they did for Fusion/Zero Mission. Make it slightly more floaty or free enough to potential sequence break but not make it as free and easy to exploit as it was in the original Super Metroid.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 06.18.17 7:26pm

I personally think a Super Metroid remake is just asking for trouble. The original game is so beloved that pretty much any change will end up being viewed negatively. It's not that it can't be done...I just don't think it's a good idea.

If it's going to work, it probably shouldn't be a Zero Mission-style "reimagining". It should stick as closely as possible to the original map layout and narrative structure. The main point of a remake for Super would be to reintroduce the original game to a new generation, so we'd see updated graphics, a remixed soundtrack, and perhaps some slightly more forgiving controls in places. As someone who played Fusion and Zero Mission before Super, I found wall jumping in Super really tricky to pull off, for example. I think having an option (NOT a requirement) to use hints a-la Metroid Prime would be a good idea for newcomers, and using 2 or 3 difficulty levels could be an added incentive for veterans to not reject it out-of-hand.

Basically, take Super Metroid, add very pretty high-res graphics (could be 2.5D, but there's some AMAZING work coming out of 2D graphics in the indie space), a remixed soundtrack that still captures the original atmosphere, and a few purely optional extra features, and that's your game.

All the fans will be so unbelievably happy to see it, and we'll be horribly disgusted when we play it. That's just how this works.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Zevroid

Metroid

Postby Zevroid » 06.18.17 10:06pm

I personally think a Super Metroid remake is just asking for trouble. The original game is so beloved that pretty much any change will end up being viewed negatively. It's not that it can't be done...I just don't think it's a good idea.

If it's going to work, it probably shouldn't be a Zero Mission-style "reimagining". It should stick as closely as possible to the original map layout and narrative structure. The main point of a remake for Super would be to reintroduce the original game to a new generation, so we'd see updated graphics, a remixed soundtrack, and perhaps some slightly more forgiving controls in places. As someone who played Fusion and Zero Mission before Super, I found wall jumping in Super really tricky to pull off, for example. I think having an option (NOT a requirement) to use hints a-la Metroid Prime would be a good idea for newcomers, and using 2 or 3 difficulty levels could be an added incentive for veterans to not reject it out-of-hand.
Well, yeah, the actual level design is pretty much perfect the way it is. Aside from making certain boss rooms larger to accommodate new mechanics and models, there's not a lot I would change about the way the world is designed.

On remixing the soundtrack, I feel like Draygon and Phantoon would have to get their own themes. Draygon just had Ridley's theme, though it wasn't originally meant to be his theme specifically, but it has become so associated with him (and with escape sequences) that I think it would be better for bosses like Draygon and the Torizo to have their own boss music. I only say Phantoon should have a unique boss theme simply because I don't think Kraid's theme works for the strange, haunting creature that Phantoon is.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.19.17 1:42am

Firstly, I'd want to see it on Switch. I love that we're getting Samus Returns but 3DS is not where I'd like to see it, and that's coming from someone who owns the later and not yet the former. The 3DS is a capable system, but Switch is where such a remake would shine brightest.

As I'd liked to of seen with Samus Returns, I'd prefer the aesthetics be 2D, but if it were ever to happen that'd never be the case. Best we could reasonably expect would be the same 2.5D styling as M:SR. Preferably something suitably stylized without being to far a departure from Super's iconic desaturated color pallet. So much of the game's atmosphere is tied to its excellent sprite work and careful use of color. That's all easily lost in 3D if not carefully handled.

If Nintendo were going for a full on remake then I'd like to see the game expanded in some way. I loved the new areas and details in Zero Mission and seeing those revisited in Super would be a nice "throwback" to it. Just no Zero Suit sections, please. That was fun the first time but every subsequent playthrough it's simply tedious. Unless they did something radically different with it. What that could be, exactly, I have no idea.

I'd have to get my hands on it to know for sure, but seeing the mechanical expansions to M:SR I'd also like to see something similar done with a hypothetical Super remake as well. Super codified the classic style games and they haven't moved on much passed it since. M:SR would seem to be taking that to heart and finally introducing major brand new mechanics to the formula for the first time in nearly 15 years. Assuming that works out well then I'd like to see a Super remake continue to build upon them.

Beyond that I can't think of much else.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 06.28.17 8:34pm

Basically, take Super Metroid, add very pretty high-res graphics (could be 2.5D, but there's some AMAZING work coming out of 2D graphics in the indie space), a remixed soundtrack that still captures the original atmosphere, and a few purely optional extra features, and that's your game.

All the fans will be so unbelievably happy to see it, and we'll be horribly disgusted when we play it. That's just how this works.
So basically just a Super Metroid HD. No 3DS on this one.
Give everything good definition and add detail to augment Super Metroid's aesthetics... All the official art for Super Metroid would have to be revisited to truly understand the aesthetics that strove to show itself despite the hardware limitations of that time. Once the aesthetics of Super Metroid is understood, only then can they truly make something that'll feel like the world Zebes could have been if not barred by hardware limitations. The same principles apply to the music.

Not going to lie here, if they did a Super Metroid HD, I'll be quite eager to buy it.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 06.29.17 8:04pm

I would want nothing, cause the game is perfect...read my signature! :P

And I tend to agree, if they did re-do the game a lot of fans would have a negative reaction to it. They should just use those resources and make M5 instead and stop with this sub-plot games and remakes.

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Ceraiza

Egg

Postby Ceraiza » 06.29.17 8:19pm

Re-making Super Metroid is a hard one for me. At this point I feel that Super Metroid is so pixel perfect in its design, that changing it in any way can only make the whole thing fall apart. I know its not in the same vain but a Prime Trilogy HD release on the Switch to get newcomers caught up on the series would just be glorious.

chojin-zoku

Hatchling

Postby chojin-zoku » 07.17.17 4:14am

#1 Upgrade graphics but keep the art style.
#2 make samus faster she jumps and falls too slow.
#3 identical controls but more responsive like zm.

Aside from sandbox improvements....
Change nothing else!

MrPerson0

Mochtroid

Postby MrPerson0 » 07.24.17 3:11pm

Redo the controls. Super Metroid's default controls were terrible (wtf at run button and extra diagonal button), and it's surprising that the GBA controls were practically better in every way due to the console having fewer buttons. Relating Missiles/secondary items to R holding was a great idea.

Also, I feel that Zero Mission's physics were the best that a 2D Metroid game had. Hopefully a Super Metroid remake would have close to or similar physics.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 08.15.17 8:19pm

I'd like a Super Metroid remake to be on the Switch, be 2.5D and as pretty as possible, update the soundtrack and add gameplay improvements that Fusion and Zero Mission made like the Shinepsark no longer draining energy to use or the ability to re-initiate a Spin Jump by pressing the jump button. There's nothing wrong with Super Metroid's overall map so that can be kept the same.

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 09.02.17 4:26pm

I don't think fans would be very pleased with that because it's one of those games that should never be tampered with. I do agree with Apothem that if such a game were to be made, it should be made on a console, not a handheld. I think it should be the case because Super Metroid was made for the SNES, not the Game Boy.

newhenpal

Alpha Metroid

Postby newhenpal » 09.06.17 2:22pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm firmly in the "No remake needed" camp. Metroid 1 and 2 desperately needed remakes because they are important and highly respected entries in the franchise that, unfortunately, are victims of hardware limitations; the ensuing years have made this unbearably apparent. Super Metroid doesn't really have this problem. It's got plenty of fun, non-game-breaking glitches and unintended emergent gameplay, but that's never to its detriment, and anyone who knows anything about Super knows that its braved the passage of time in large part because of those reasons.

Really, the only thing that would be nice -- not even needed, just nice -- is if there was a re-release of the game that introduced modern-day quality-of-life improvements like better item selection using Zero Mission as a template and stomping out stuff no one likes such as unskippable cutscenes/scripted story events, the Point of No Return, etc.

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 09.18.17 6:46pm

Only a few things would truly be acceptable for a remake/remaster of the game.

1) Control scheme that mimics Fusion/Zero Mission option for those that enjoy it.

2) HD graphics and sound/ost that can be toggled with the push of a button (think Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and Halo 2 remastered).

3) Maybe some interchangeable skins that are unlocked for meeting requirements/achievements (not locked behind amiibo). Things like a Justin Bailey option or even a Zero Suit and Metroid II gray scale Samus for moments when you are out of the suit (death animation and end credits reveal). Pick your power suit, varia and gravity suit model/sprite.

4) You could add a difficulty option for those looking for a greater challenge too. It wouldn't affect any of the game's main points.

Anything else would be too much. The game only needs accessibility for those that don't enjoy the controls, and some optional paint for those that want to see the game in the light of what new hardware can achieve. Anything else should just be simple fun or number modifiers. A reimagining/remake would more than certainly do more harm than good. I personally would rather there not be a remake or even a remaster, but if there was one I feel this would be acceptable.
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Luke Aran

Gamma Metroid

Postby Luke Aran » 09.22.17 7:52am

Honestly, if they made a Super remake using the gameplay of MSR I'd be chill with it.
"It is a beautiful thing when two strangers become friends, and a very sad thing indeed when two friends become strangers"~Anonymous

Return to “%s” Metroid Classic