Metroid: The Chaos Within

Got Metroid fanart, fanfiction, music, or any other creative endeavor you want to share? This is the place!
Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Metroid: The Chaos Within

Postby Snowy Silva » 03.07.14 2:07am

This is a fan made project I would like to start. Metroid TCW will be a game with (hopefully) every major enemy in the metroid univers, even the rumored Dread. Yes that includes Dark Samus, the ING, X-Parasites, phazon, and of course how could we forget the Metroids. As you may be able to tell, this will be a daunting task, but in the end, we will have an awesome game that's challenging and will most likely be the longest metroid game in existence. Just about every job is in need of filling, especially programmers. This will be a 2D side scroller, this will make it easier on the programmers.

What's the chronology of this game?
Immediately after the events in Metroid Fusion
Phazon supposedly died out at the end of Prime 3. How exactly do you plan on resarecting phazon?
(Note that the following is NOT from cannon metroid lore)
Unlike blue phazon, red phazon has no ties to it's mother laviathan, or even Phaaze. Creatures mutated by this form of phazon generate blue phazon in excess.
Dark Samus died on Phaaze, how do you plan on making it return?
After it stole your Phazon suit back in the impact crater on Tallon IV, Metroid Prime became a phazon consumer that still possesses normal metroid feeding abilities. Because it's a phazon consumer, the destruction of Phaaze hardly effected it; however, it left Dark Samus substantionally weaker until it discovered phazon on Eliebrius (the planet of this game)
How come the dark world exists in this game? Wasn't that an Aether thing only?
I thought this one would be obvious :P . Just like on Aether, as the laviathan crashed on Eliebrius it tore a rift into the dark dimension.
Didn't the X go extinct at the end of Fusion?
Yes they did. After the events on BSL, all the DNA Samus absorbed started confusing all of her bodily functions, causing her to degenerate. One side effect is that Samus started producing X-Parasites. A DNA fusion chamber the chozo had used to give Samus some of their very own DNA was her saviour, but she was too late. An X was unknowingly born, and the entire species was replenished including the SA-X. Like in Fusion, there eventually is around ten SA-X, but the ING take control of half of these creating a new, stronger SA-X.
How about the Dread?
The Dread are a species of very tough organisms that travel actress the universe annually in search of food. They are unaffected by Metroids or X. (Concept art is required for these creatures)
My fan game (Metroid: The Chaos Within) can be found here
I did have a thread here about it, buuuuut that was before I lost all my work

ronny14

Hatchling

Re: Metroid: The Chaos Within

Postby ronny14 » 03.09.14 1:02am

Seems very ambitious and I personally think a game that goes forward with the timeline should innovate instead of bringing everything back... Regardless, I'd definitely try out the final product. I wish you luck.
Hey, click that banner and check out Metroid Father Hunt!

Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Lady Aran » 03.09.14 6:00am

Fan-made or not, good to see there's people out there who still care about this awesome franchise. Good luck on your endeavor! :thumbsup:

Proud Member of Team Adamus!
"When coming up with Adam's character design, I bet you Sakamoto looked at pictures of John Larroquette for reference..." - Me

Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Postby Snowy Silva » 03.09.14 3:55pm

@ronny14
It is a little progressive. I plan on introducing the dread the same way the Metroid were introduced. Slowly, and over a couple games.

Thanks for the support guys! Though I still need a team.

ronny14

Hatchling

Postby ronny14 » 03.09.14 5:12pm

Erm... What experience is it that you have in game development? Projects like these that bring together a team seldom ever go well, and a good programmer rarely ever considers programming such a huge game for someone who popped out of nowhere with this idea... It's good that you have the ambition, but just as a word of advice, coming from me, who thought game making was easy ~6 years ago. When I first became part of the fangame community I thought programming was easy and that you do a little bit and then bam, a good game that you can get credit for. When assembling a team you should keep in mind that nobody's job will be easy and it takes time, dedication, and hard work. I feel like you'd need a better and longer standing with the community before you start recruiting strangers to help you with something so ambitious and time consuming. Essentially, I'm trying to say that you should start smaller, and if you can't program, get something like Game Maker and play around with it. Several Metroid team projects have fallen into disaster in the past few years and so I'm pretty sure a good programmer isn't willing to risk time and effort on another one.

Please don't think I'm being harsh, I just think that if you really want this idea to come through, a team isn't the way to go.
Hey, click that banner and check out Metroid Father Hunt!

Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Postby Snowy Silva » 03.10.14 12:32am

I don't think you're being harsh at all. You're just expressing your concern and I appreciate that. Personally I would like to have a team because I know that the time spent building the game would be far less and, because everyone has different talents, better. I know just how hard programming is. Getting a character to walk and jump seems so simple, but there's actually so much going on. So I know where programmers stand when it comes to something like this, but I also know that risks must be taken if greatness is to be achieved.
I myself do not know any programming languages; however, I have some experience with Game Maker and do not want to use it. Simply because I have the free version which puts a watermark in your game, and cannot buy the full version which does not.
Never will I let this project die. I spent too long putting together what I already have, and I will see to it that my game gets made, team or otherwise.

KazerBeam

Gamma Metroid

Postby KazerBeam » 03.10.14 3:00am

This is brilliant. I don't care whether Metroid fans say this won't be canon because it will be worth it. :thumbsup:

I want to help you with this, and I'm just going to list what my skills, so don't think I'm bragging or anything :) . I am quite good at several Programming languages, which are Python, Javascript, C++ and C#(Which are basically the same thing :P ), am a pretty good artist and have experience with writing plots (Am writing several Metroid fanfics :P ). And I used to scratch and game maker :awesome: .

I think a team is the way to go, as long as everyone can agree on the outcome. It's risky, but effective. Look at Retro!
Looking for ways to glitch Metroid Games into oblivion.
This makes me remember when Samus didn't talk and there were dinosaurs and black and white TV
I accidentally Zebes. Was that dangerous?

Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Postby Snowy Silva » 03.10.14 4:36am

Welcome to the team KazerBeam!

As far as programming goes, I say pick the language you're most comfortable with.

From one artist to another, I believe the thing of at most importance at the moment is the Dread. I've searched the internet and found nothing in terms of Dread design so we may have to start entirely from scratch on this portion of it. I myself have already come up with a concept, but when I was done, it looked like I drew Arachnus's brother. I would show you, but for some reason I can't
get my camera to work.

KazerBeam

Gamma Metroid

Postby KazerBeam » 03.12.14 4:24am

We have started concept work on Metroid: The Chaos Within. We are not going to release all information from now on, we just want to show you what the game will be like.

It will be a 2D platformer similar to Super Metroid.

Story:
"I was sent to the BSL Research Station to investigate an explosion that occurred the ship's quarantine bay. It was caused by the SA-X, the result of my Power Suit being infected by an X-Parasite that infected me on SR388 that would've killed me if it weren't for a cure created from Metroid DNA. The infected Power Suit was sent to the BSL for Storage where it mutated into the SA-X. It mimicked me at full power and began to hunt me. Fortunately, I was able to evade it, although it replicated itself enough to overtake the Research Station. The Galactic Federation decided I could not handle the situation and sent a team to neutralize the X. Knowing the team would not survive, an AI based on Federation officer Adam Malkovich and I set the station on a collision course with a nearby planet, ultimately destroying the X forever. The SA-X attempted to intervene, but I was able to defeat and absorb it, fully replenishing my abilities allowing me to carry out my mission. After I escaped, I began to grow weak. This was because all the DNA I'd acquired from the X had mutated my very own DNA enough to cause my body to begin deteriorating. Upon discovering this, I set course for an asteroid outside the galactic maps. There lies the Operation Asteroid Base, and my salvation. A DNA manipulation chamber that can fix me, so long as I can get to it..."-Samus

This is when the player takes control of Samus. The player will have a time limit to get to the DNAMC which is represented by Samus's energy being depleted one unit per second. Randomly, Samus will cough, trip, or experience hallucinations of her enemies. The background will be a series of images that depict Samus's past, and the audio will include voices that are hard to make out or even hear. Environmental objects will appear like waves in an ocean and anything that moves will leave trails.

Once Samus gets to the DNAMC, Adam will alert her to the fact that she is producing X-Parasites. Samus will tell him to take control of a nearby computer and create a new strand of DNA for her that allows her to safely absorb X-Parasites and prevent the X from coming out of extinction. The reset of her DNA had also reset her power suit. It will once again look brand new, but the damage was done. An X parasite containing her DNA will sneak aboard her ship, along with Samus.

After restoring her DNA, Samus received a message from Adam saying that their position had been located by Federation Soldiers. Samus decided to head to planet Eliebrius, a little known planet close to their current position but outside of Federation control. Upon arriving, Samus discovered that this planet was not a docile one. Her ship was attacked by a creature (Dread), which her scans were unable to identify, stranding her on this planet.

Adam, who had been damaged with the ship, had time just to order Samus to explore the planet in order to find something to fix the ship before he automatically shut down for repairs.

Thus, the Hunter explored Eliebrius, starting her next mission. But little did she know that the Dread weren't the only thing to worry about. Little did she know of the Chaos Within.
Old Upgrades:
Suits: Varia, Dark, Light, Phazon
Beams: Ice, Wave, Plasma, Dark, Light, Annihilator Beam
Missiles: Normal, Super, Diffusion
Charge combos: Super Missile, Ice Spreader, Dark Burst, Sun Burst, Sonic Boom
Misc: High Jump, Space Jump, Screw Attack, Gravity Booster, Speed Booster, Grapple Beam
Ball: Morph Ball, Bomb, Power Bomb, Spring Ball, Spider Ball
Hyper mode: Phazon Beam, Hyper Missile, Hyper Ball, Hyper Grapple
New Upgrades:
Suits: Spectre Suit (Limited Cloaking Technology, Cold Aura, Allows you to Speed Boost on air, like if you run off a ledge,
Beams: Nova (More powerful version of Plasma Beam), Auto (Turn off charge beam to activate. It's basically rapid-fire built in the game)
Missile: Continuator Missile (After it explodes, a second missile goes flying forward. If it hits a wall, the second missile bounces backwards)
Charge Combos: Super Nova (Spreads a heat wave across the room, like a Power Bomb), Wave Pulsor (Blast can pass through walls), Plasma Traumatizer(Can pass through Enemies
Misc: Spider Boots (Only active while running. Allows Samus to speed boost on walls, ceilings, and water), Seismic Grapple (Can latch onto anything. It sends pulses into the attached object at a low frequency causing either an earthquake, or the object to fall apart)
Hyper Mode: Phazon bomb (Phazon Power Bomb), Hyper Bomb (On explosion, does Hyper Ball effect for a few seconds in the area.
Bosses:
Saploid: A creature similar to the Grenchlers and has a shell that can produce sugar by process of photosynthesis. This solar shell will also be able to absorb solar energy which the Saploid uses in it's highly intense energy blasts.
The Cyclone Turret: A remnant of the Chozo from before the Dread appeared. It was programmed to protect from Extraterrestrial threats. Essentially, it's a ball that spirals open in a fashion that turns the two halves of it inside out and fires missiles.
Zora: The plant boss of this game. It's a Venus fly trap with arms and talons.
Pefray: Another attempt of the Chozo to make a creature to kill the X. A reptilian creature that behaves like Samus in her Fusion suit, i.e. absorbing X and getting stronger.
Enemies:
Gyptha: A floating ball of energy that is only vulnerable to Missiles. When a beam weapon is fired at it, it absorbs it, and after a certain amount of shots, it fires it back at you.
Vyljas: A creature that crawls around on the ground, very weak, but can freeze Samus.
Areas:
Fire Area: Ekauma
Ice Area: Psuchos
Plant Area: Zungalt
Phazon Area: Diathremen
Chozo City: Paliahoma
That's it so far! We have already started concept art, and we have a programmer. But we are looking for more members for the team. If you are a Programmer, Sprite artist or good with music, we would like your help.
Looking for ways to glitch Metroid Games into oblivion.
This makes me remember when Samus didn't talk and there were dinosaurs and black and white TV
I accidentally Zebes. Was that dangerous?

MonocleBIOS

Mochtroid

Postby MonocleBIOS » 03.12.14 9:42pm

I was recently given an offer to work on this project by the project lead on another forum I frequent from time to time. While I don't have the most free time to develop due to school and my own personal projects, I'm willing to help KazerBeam or any other programmers on a 'whenever I get around to doing it' basis. I will state that I agree with ronny: until a design document has been established and enough assets have been finished/proven to be capable of being finished I'm not going to be dedicating any significant amount of time to this project.

That being said, I do hope that this project goes well; here's my 'qualifications' if you will. I'm a first year (I've been a self taught programmer for a few years) computer science major, so feel free to call me out on not being that great of a programmer.

Programming Languages I guess I can state that I know. Times noted are times spent actively programming for projects:
At the moment, I'm somewhat more proficient at writing object oriented code.

- C/++ : About a year or so experience with both, somewhat more experienced in C++ in particular.
*I have some experience with SDL and SFML for graphics APIs in particular, little to none in OpenGL(not that it matters here)
- Java : Roughly a year as well, no graphical experience
- C# : Six months or so, bout a month or so of graphical experience using Unity
- Python : Two years, mostly mathematical and tool purposes, no graphical experience
- JavaScript : Three months, never managed to make anything useful in it since I'm not that into web dev
- Blitz3D(not even sure why I'm putting this here) : About six months or so, mostly spent working on the backend for "SCP: Containment Breach".

Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Postby Snowy Silva » 03.26.14 12:53am

Work on the demo has begun!
Please note that we are working on this game entirely on our free time, so a release date is unknown to even us.

Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Postby Snowy Silva » 04.10.14 3:39am

Sorry about the double post. For some reason my tablet will not load the edit button.
Attachments
IMG_20140410_011921.jpg
Spectre Suit Concept Art

Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Postby Snowy Silva » 04.10.14 4:10am

Again, sorry about my posting.
IMG_20140410_015320.jpg
Dread Concept (view 1)