Fan ANimation Test

Got Metroid fanart, fanfiction, music, or any other creative endeavor you want to share? This is the place!
ginjirou17

Hatchling

Fan ANimation Test

Postby ginjirou17 » 01.13.15 9:50am

Hey Guys.
As an Animator i wanted to show my love for the series. And what better way is there to do that with an Animation.
This is still in the early stages of my animation. I just got out of planning. I will detail it further out as i go. And ofcourse post my progress once a week.

Tell me what you guys think. I think of doing more cool action shot's with samus after i finish this one.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Fan ANimation Test

Postby Zynux » 01.13.15 6:20pm

Don't know anything about animation, but it overall looks good. It's just that when Samus is hanging from the rail fence, she needs more animation there. She's gets way too rigid there.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 01.13.15 7:46pm

Like i said this is just out of the planning (or "blocking") stage and is in its early stages. I will detail this animation further out untill it is high quality.
Also i will animate it further. I am going to make the rail break and almost snap etc. Look forward to that. I can't wait to show you guys the finished animation

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 01.20.15 9:26am

Hey guys,

I updated it a bit further. Also i changed up a few things. After i have the scene fully animated then i will start with polishing.
As you can see the ending is still not animated. But you can see what will happen by looking at the fence breaking.

Tell me what you guys think of it so far.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 01.20.15 5:32pm

Very good.

Just that the fence breaking happens way too late.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 01.22.15 1:26pm

Yeah your right. But i first need to figure out if i want samus to slip fall and grab on the end of the pipe. Or lose grip and slide with her hand to the end of the pipe. After that i will change the speed of the pipe breaking

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 02.10.15 11:02am

I hope these frequent updates are not seen as spam.

I changed the timing and spacing a bit in the beginning. Also tried to do something else when she grabs the rails. I think this planning for the shot seems a bit better.
Also on 0:01 when she anticipates of grabbing the ground i am thinking of exaggerating the anticipation of that move. But i'm not so sure about that yet. I'll need to experiment with it first.
After i got this done i will block it out further.

Bat

Mochtroid

Postby Bat » 02.10.15 2:28pm

Looks awesome :)

What program do you use? One critique I can think of is that Samus sorta hangs a little bit to her left. It seems to contradict the direction of her fall. Is she being blown back by strong wind?

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 02.10.15 7:59pm

The idea is that something happened and she is now falling/sliding down a path. I'm going to add more falling debri when i am satisfied with her animation. And maybe i need to rotate the camera so that it looks like she is falling/ sliding downwards in an angle. Or maybe a broken wall/glass in space that sucks everything in the room into outer space (like in deadspace)

I'm using maya for this animation

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 02.19.15 12:21pm

Hey guys, 4th update.
Added background and detailed out the swing after the first grab. Also made small changes overall.

Also i have thought out of how i want to end the scene with. I made a hole under the panel that breaks off. So when Samus holds on the rail. And the rail starts breaking. I thought of making her jump using the jetpack to the hole. Or maybe on the platform and make her do a small climb towards the hole. OR MAYBE have her jetpack herself up and then use the grapple beam and have her go into the hole. (The possibilities are endless) So if i want to do another i can have a second shot following this shot.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 02.19.15 3:04pm

The background, while simple, does add a lot more to the scene.

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 03.10.15 9:55am

Hey guys, a bit late with the update but here are some big changes.

Did some small stuff with the lights. Also i decided how to end the shot.
note: Samus uses her jetpack in mid air to jump back. Need to add effects for that.

I also have the super smash bros wii u model for samus. Busy working on that one now. I wanted to end this shot so i can start animating with the new model
I'm going to do some small polish stuff on the animation. And then i will move on to new animation. Next one i want to do a bit more cinematic. Maybe a fight between ridley and samus. Or a few space pirates and samus.
A short cinematic or something.

LordDirk

Gamma Metroid

Postby LordDirk » 03.10.15 4:38pm

Very nice animation! Bouncy, has impact, not seeing a lot of twinning or other major issues. The one thing I think you could look at is the reaction of the floating body to when Samus jumps off. I think there needs to be some form of movement away from Samus when she kicks off. Though this is only really noticeable when the video is slowed down. This is definitely a very nimble Samus, as opposed to the more heavy footed design featured in the prime series. Any sort of action piece would be great, I'm sure whatever you decide to tackle you'll do expertly. Might be interesting to fuse some action with emotion in a shot, maybe finish a large action scene with a bit of subtle pantomiming on Samus' part to bring across her character. The end of MP2 is a great example of this, her little wave at the end speaks volumes about how she felt at the end of the mission.

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 03.10.15 4:52pm

Very nice animation! Bouncy, has impact, not seeing a lot of twinning or other major issues. This is definitely a very nimble Samus, as opposed to the more heavy footed design featured in the prime series. Any sort of action piece would be great, I'm sure whatever you decide to tackle you'll do expertly. Might be interesting to fuse some action with emotion in a shot, maybe finish a large action scene with a bit of subtle pantomiming on Samus' part to bring across her character. The end of MP2 is a great example of this, her little wave at the end speaks volumes about how she felt at the end of the mission.

Exactly. If you look at the manga's even other M you see that samus is very nimble and strong. And you lose this feeling in the games. I want to show the strength and agility samus has because of her choso dna and the suit. But also the mistakes that she can make that will get her hit. I love the scene in smash where ridley grabs samus and smears her against the wall.

I want to do a more cinematic action scene. Maybe with 3 space prates of with ridley. Show the fear she has of ridley etc. But first i will skin the smash wii u model of samus

ginjirou17

Hatchling

Postby ginjirou17 » 03.11.15 9:21am

This is the last version i will do of this animation. You can see it on vimeo. I don't know how to embed vimeo clips here. https://vimeo.com/121893079 Now i'm stepping on to the next project. And that is rigging the smash wii u samus skin so i can animate with that one. There are pretty cool changes between that model and the other m model. Changes you will not see unless you have them side by side.

Return to “%s” Fan Creations