Metroid Remake

Got Metroid fanart, fanfiction, music, or any other creative endeavor you want to share? This is the place!
nkholski

Mochtroid

Metroid Remake

Postby nkholski » 02.02.16 5:14pm

I'm doing a remake of Metroid (NES) as a HTML5-game to develop my javascript skills, and to celebrate the 30th anniversary by revisiting the game I love. I just released a first demo to try out. It's very limited and has bugs, but I will be busy with other things for a while and felt that I wanted to share what I have. I haven't studied the original NES-version that much and mostly just went along as I remember the game, so the game mechanics will definitely need work.

First version includes:
  • Complete Brinstar map, but only populated with enemies in the path to the first missiles
  • All items except varia and wave beam. Keep right to reach a special room containing all of them.
  • All brinstar enemy types. They won’t behave exactly as in the original though. My aim was to add them all, and in some cases I just went ahead as I remember them without comparing with the original.
  • Doors, destroyable blocks and lava.
  • Touch controls on touch devices (and decent performance on at least my Nexus 5 mobile).
Next version will either be an expansion of the game coverage or something like support for 16:9 resolution or 16-bit graphics mode.

If anyone happens to have docs or data on enemy positions I'm extremely interested. I found this document referring to a "next document" that would be about that.

Also, if someone would be up to the task to convert the missing Metroid maps into Tiled-format or know of such files please let me know.

I made everything available here: http://metroid.niklasberg.se

nkholski

Mochtroid

Re: Metroid Remake

Postby nkholski » 03.29.16 10:15am

I released Alpha 2 yesterday which adds complete world map, save game support, elevators, dat.GUI integration, two player mode (experimental) and 16-bit mode (experimental).
Read more: http://metroid.niklasberg.se/2016/03/28 ... -released/

Image Image Image

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 03.31.16 1:39pm

Hey man, awesome work!
You have come really far with this. I don't think it quite *feels* like Metroid yet but it's close, and definitely getting closer. It's one thing to make the game by simply copying level design, enemies, and gameplay but it's another thing to actually make it *feel* like you're actually playing the original NES game. Keep it up.

Also - I understand the interest in making the game look better by taking advantage of a higher palette. And while that's a cool idea to think about, I personally think Samus's sprite is utter arbitrary garbage so if I had my way, she wouldn't just get a higher palette to her sprite, but a complete overhaul in regards to the way she's drawn. Animations are also shitty too, but if you want to retain the "look" of the game I understand why it might be necessary. If you want to improve the backgrounds, I would also recommend doing more than just the Foreground tiles, but to also improve the monotonous black backgrounds. Something like this might be a goal:

We really enjoy watching your progress, please keep us in the loop! You may also want to share over on Metroid Construction's forums if you haven't already! <3
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

nkholski

Mochtroid

Postby nkholski » 04.04.16 2:26pm

Thanks! It will be a while until it feels like a real game at all. My aim is to first create a complete game, then I will compare with the original to make enemies and other stuff behave more like they do on the NES. I'll probably add some custom features for fun in the process, such as 16:9 resolution. Adding a background (perhaps parallax) is a great idea that I actually might add during this first process.

I use the level format used by Tiled map editor (www.mapeditor.org), and once the basics work I would love to add custom worlds and allow visitors to upload theirs including graphics and audio. I could also add custom items and stuff to use in new worlds. Basically, it would allow creating new adventures without any programming knowledge.

I love the screenshot and it would be great to find an artist that could contribute with replacement graphics so that I could allow toggling between an original and an enhanced mode (or for custom maps).

I got a thread over at Metroid Construction and got help from there to obtain the complete original game map data. I'm glad you enjoy it and will keep posting when I have something to share. It might be a while though since I do this when I got spare time. I haven't worked on it for a week now, but will as soon as I get an opportunity again.

Return to “%s” Fan Creations