Metroid 1 Bestiary Redesign

Got Metroid fanart, fanfiction, music, or any other creative endeavor you want to share? This is the place!
Phobos-Romulus

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Metroid 1 Bestiary Redesign

Postby Phobos-Romulus » 05.01.16 11:40pm

Hey there, haven't visited in quite a while. Many of you know me as one of the contributors to the awesome bestiary that Infinity's End concocted.

To start off, my brother, who also contributed to the MDB Bestiary, took on a project a few years back of redesigning the whole cast of the original Legend of Zelda. We both graduated from art school last may, and with our refined skills, my brother is revisiting his Zelda project again while I'm tackling Metroid.

Here's his Zelda project that's already underway.
http://deimos-remus.deviantart.com/gall ... /LOZ-Redux

Onto Metroid, I want to make the enemies feel more unique from one another, keep their insect-like appearance but giving them a more alien otherworldly sensibility. I want to make sure each area feels cohesive but unique from one another. I want to do this by giving Brinstar and Kraid's lair enemies a more overtly insect and microorganism look while Norfair and Ridley's lair enemies will look more like deep sea creatures. Meanwhile, to set them apart from the lowly enemies, Ridley and Kraid will look more like demonic Kaiju. I'm trying to give them a unique spin of my own while retaining their original designs, but sprinkling in influence from the weird American manual artwork.

I wanted to create this thread to get some last second design input before I start on the final illustrations.

BRINSTAR
I'm happy with all these, I just need to finalize some bits on the Waver and make the Zoomer's face look stranger.

NORFAIR

Still wrestling a bit with the Geruta's design, and ensuring everything looks properly alien as possible. I'm not including different versions of the RIpper, and I personally count Polyp as more of an environmental hazard than a sentient creature, and might included it in the background of one of the other enemies.

KRAID'S LAIR

Still figuring out the design for the Memu, but everything is set. Still toying with different feet ideas for the Geega too. I'm happy with Kraid's Head and arms, but I'm still trying to fure out how his legs should look. Any Kaiju fans out there- your input would especially be appreciated!

RIDLEY'S LAIR
I'm very pleased with the Desgeega and Ridley, they're mostly finalized at this point. Still trying to come up with a design for the Zebbo's head, preferably something shrimp-like. The Multiviola I want to look like a glowing ball with fine hair like tentacles coming off it. However, since the Viola is describe as the Larval state of the Multiviola, I'm having a hard time figure out their design, so input would be appreciated.

TOURIAN
I'm very happy with Mother Brain. The Metroid could use some finetuning, but I like the idea of them having long tentacles to grab prey, then using a more retractable mouth to suck out their energy. Still have to come up with a design for the Zebetite, but I might just include that and the Rinka as more background elements for a purely environmental piece.

Still thinking of a way to draw Samus as well as a piece of the Chozo.

Thanks!
Wanna see some Metroid art? View my gallery!

http://www.phobos-romulus.deviantart.com

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: Metroid 1 Bestiary Redesign

Postby Infinity's End » 05.05.16 10:26am

Welcome back, P-R!
Are you intending on just keeping this art in your own personal portfolio/gallery or are you intending on submitting them to the Bestiary? If the latter, we can add your new entries as multiple versions of the already-existing artwork.

Love the insect-like designs on all of the lesser enemies. I don't have time at the moment to give deep feedback on all the sketches but I might have some more later. Keep up the great work man! :thumbsup:
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Phobos-Romulus

MDB Staff - Bestiary

Re: Metroid 1 Bestiary Redesign

Postby Phobos-Romulus » 05.08.16 1:10am

Yeah, probably just a personal portfolio, since I'll be so heavily redesigning all of them. But hey, if you ever wanted to do a feature on MDB for this project once finished, that'd be great. ;)

Thanks man! I definitely want to give them more individuality than the original game and give them all a more otherworldly appearance!
Wanna see some Metroid art? View my gallery!

http://www.phobos-romulus.deviantart.com

Return to “%s” Fan Creations