Metroid Inspired Multiplayer Game (Need Resources)

Got Metroid fanart, fanfiction, music, or any other creative endeavor you want to share? This is the place!
j12r3

Egg

Metroid Inspired Multiplayer Game (Need Resources)

Postby j12r3 » 11.16.16 10:50am

I'm hoping to make and publish a game in Construct2 or Stencyl which is heavily inspired by the Metroid series. I don't want it to be a direct rip-off of Metroid though, so I need some high quality custom resources. I have no artistic talent, and the things I need are very specific. I'll give a brief summary of what I need, and if anyone's interested I'll share more details.

What I need:

• Sprites
• Tiles
• Backgrounds
• Sounds
• Music
• Some help with Level Design, Character Design, and Naming

Just as a notice, my standards of quality are very high, and I am only interested in realistic, detailed graphics and music/sfx of the best quality. Beggars can't be choosers though, so I am willing to flex my standards within reason. I disdain pixel art and strongly prefer vector graphics. I'm learning Inkscape, but even if I develope the skills I just don't have any artistic creativity, and the nature of the project absolutely demands original content. My budget is $0, so I can't pay for anything up front, but I intend to give full credit to anyone who helps, and if the game ever becomes profitable, I intend to share that too. I also intend to let any contributors keep the rights to their own work if the game gets published.

P.S.
I am working on proof of concept. I don't expect anyone to help me when I have nothing to show. Thanks for taking time to read this.

MetroidRobotMaster

Mochtroid

Re: Metroid Inspired Multiplayer Game (Need Resources)

Postby MetroidRobotMaster » 11.17.16 5:47pm

unity 5 supports multiple platforms
the quality is like this or highter?
plus 5years of development?

j12r3

Egg

Postby j12r3 » 11.18.16 3:06pm

My laptop is old and can't run Unity.

As for graphics, I would like to have it as close to realistic as possible, but at this point I'm considering options. I'll probably have to lower my demands and settle for something more cartoony.

No clue on developement time. The ideas I have for gameplay aren't that complicated, at least on the surface, so I would expect the artwork and level design to take the most time. I may be wrong, but I figure I can start making the game with lower quality artwork, like my own lackluster drawings, then swap it out for improved graphics when they become available.

j12r3

Egg

Postby j12r3 » 11.23.16 5:04pm

Here's an example of the kind of graphics I'm interested in, at least for the tilesets. I want my character to be larger and more detailed.

https://youtu.be/Nr7EKA3owvg

I just found out about this game a couple days ago, and it seems very similar to my ideas in many ways.

As for other resources I need:

SFX - Sound should be similar to that of the Metroid series, but for obvious reasons I don't want anything ripped.

Music - Kenji Yamamato, Akira Yamaoka, Jesper Kyd, are some of my favorites. Once again, I need original music, not rip-offs. Since I want the music to be designed for the environments, level design will probably need to be done first, at least for the most part.

Character Design - I want the player character to be conspicuously inspired by Samus, but not a Samus clone. I'm considering whether it will have a handgun or armcannon type weapon, but leaning heavily towards a held weapon.

Level Design - I plan on doing most of this myself, but to avoid stagnation, I would like contributions or ideas from others. Some games I would look to for ideas are Super Metroid, Skyblazer, The Lost Vikings, and pretty much any game with a lot of logic, puzzle solving, and platforming. I'm planning on including an upgrade similar to Samus's speed booster, so I may include a little bit of Sonic level design in as well.

Tiles and Backgrounds - I plan on having a very broad range of contrasting environments and atmospheres: forests, jungles, caves, deserts, tundras, volcanos, swamps, mountains, cities, ocean/underwater, space stations... it may be better to just make the environments and then the graphics.

Due to limitations of the free edition of Construct 2 (I had almost 100 events used up by variables alone), I'm currently learning Stencyl, which is more complicated. If I continue to progress at my current rate, I hope to have a crude demo made within a few weeks. I am now learning to program basic game mechanics, then I'll start on a HUD, and then a simple a.i. That should be enough for a small proof demo.

MetroidRobotMaster

Mochtroid

Postby MetroidRobotMaster » 11.25.16 4:15pm

I do recommend to think on the future, I don't know, you may eShop for Nintendo game consoles, you may consider to upgrade your PC to install Unity which supports multiple platforms, you can also make 2D games on Unity.

Do you remember ReVeN Game? the game is in development since 2013 https://youtu.be/J76qFxlr3Nk

I would like to ask, what do you like the most about Metroid series? maybe hard to answer to me because metroid is great overall. Particularly I enjoy the ambient, the music that transport you, and the freedom of getting lost in such a nice/strange place.

Keep up the passion for work and I guess I would occasionally help you with the art.

j12r3

Egg

Postby j12r3 » 11.27.16 1:31am

Upgrading isn't currently an option, and won't be for a long time.

I don't expect to get this done overnight. In fact, I plan on making several other small, simple games while I learn how to use the software.

I like pretty much everything about Metroid. Some of my other favorite series are Silent Hill and Dark Souls, mostly because of the elements they have in common with Metroid. Most games today are so easy and dumbed-down that they are unrewarding to even play. I'm hoping to make a game that brings back some or all of the classic Metroid elements, like isolation, exploration, and danger. I also like the trapped feeling that was added in Metroid Prime 2, where each step of progress meant safety was farther away and there was no turning back because a door locked or a gate failed. I hope to make use of things like that in my own game. I also want to include a multiplayer feature similar to Dark Souls, where players can visit each others' worlds as allies or invade as enemies, but I want to take it a little further that Souls did by allowing people to exchange friend codes or something like that in order to become long term allies or rivals, similar to Metroid Prime Hunters.

Here is a crude concept drawing of my character.
SH WIP.png
As you can see, it is greatly inspired by Samus, but different enough to be it's own character. As you can also see, my artistic skills are severely lacking. The gun in this image is just a dummy I made in a hurry. My animating skills are not much better. At this point, I am considering making the whole game in silhouette graphics, unless I can either improve my own skills or get someone else to make the artwork. I probably could do better with more time and effort, but for now I'm trying to focus on the programming aspect of the game.

I plan on giving the character a gun and a sword. There will also be an energy bar that dictates the use of the gun, and a stamina bar that dictates the use of the sword. Other equipment and maneuvers will also deplete energy and stamina. The character will have Armor Points (HP) that can only be restored by pickups, and shields that regenerate over time. Unlike Metroid, however, my character will aim using the mouse, so they can shoot at any angle above, below, or in front of them. For this reason, the head and at least the right arm will need to be their own separate sprites, so they can be controlled independently of the character's body. This opens up possibilities, such as dismemberment if the player is killed in certain ways. I also plan to implement some RPG elements into the game, so the player unlocks abilities by finding upgrades, and then improves those abilities over time by using them in different ways. I have a lot of other ideas, but I'm probably being overambitious. I don't know my limitations yet, but I hope to have several planets, space stations, cities and other locations that players can visit, each at least as large as the original Metroid. I also like space sims, and would like to include a persistent space war going on, in which the player can participate, with two or more factions that are constantly fighting for control of the different locations. I may have to scrap this idea though, as it may just be too big and outside the scope of my main plan.

Return to “%s” Fan Creations