For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.
Daneasaur

Hatchling

Re: Feedback: The Woman behind the Visor

Postby Daneasaur » 11.17.08 11:31pm

It was highly fun to read, though one little thing you forgot was on the refference to "Life".

In the begining of Fusion, she sits up and says "As for me, one life ended, yet I survived, reborn as something... different."

I just thought you kinda forgot about it, that's all.

I'd even look forward to you doing a similar writing in the future.
All things happen sooner or later, but one must remember, later always becomes sooner. - Me

GF_Kennon

Gamma Metroid

Postby GF_Kennon » 11.18.08 6:24am

i thought is was very informative (it got me thinking about deeper things in metroid)

anyway keep up the good work :D

Discord Inc

Mochtroid

Postby Discord Inc » 02.04.09 3:12am

I liked the article, which I felt went into detail without losing too much perspective. One thing I have to say though is while I agree with you that isolation is a primary theme in the games I don't feel that Fusion completely abandons it.

I will admit Adam's orders, the Federation support (via the download rooms) and Samus' monologues initially take away from the feeling of isolation, but then the game introduces the conspiracy elements to the plot. So Adam's rather heavy handed mission briefings are undercut by the fact he's not telling you everything. Most of the initial upgrades in the game come from download rooms, but they taper off as the game goes on. By the end of the game you find out the Federation neglected to tell you about the Metroid lab, has plans you use the SA-X as a weapon, and to that end have stopped sending upgrades because they don't want you to be able to kill it. The climax of the conspiracy plot has Samus, the only person capable of exterminating the X-parasites, locked in a room and helpless to stop the arrival of a squad that will insure the spread of X throughout the galaxy. If that's not isolation, then I don't know what is.

This is also skimming over the fact that the BSL satellite is technically speaking, the most hostile environment Samus has ever been in. In previous games most of the monsters are hostile to Samus, but on the pirates and company are actively trying to harm her. Since every enemy in Fusion is really a X-parasite though, it can be argued that every single enemy is actively working against her. I makes sense when you stop to think about it. As you go through the game enemies scale in power and toughness, which require you to upgrade your weapons to kill them effectively. They try to exploit your weakness to cold when you try to get the Varia, by throwing suicidal X-parasites that freeze you when you absorb them. Also considering that just about every creature you encounter is an X-parasite mimic, that means you are just about the truly living creature on the satellite, and all thing considered, that's pretty chilling.

And finally there is the matter of the SA-X, which has all of your abilities and hunts you. There is nothing you can do to harm it, and you can only stop it temporary. Running and hiding is literally your only option. There is nothing that makes you feel more alone then knowing that your being chased by an exterminator.

So in the end Fusion does a away with a bit of the literal sense of isolation in the series, but makes up for it by creating a more metaphorical sense of isolation. Granted it does create it using a bunch of video game smoke and mirror trickery. I mean the SA-X can't really hunt you over the course of the game, since that would require a ton of extra programming to make it smart enough to do so and prevent it from being cheap, but it's done so well that you aren't likely to realize it the first time you play it. I know that the first time I played Fusion I didn't stop and think about how all the SA-X encounters must be scripted. I was just hiding and holding my breath until its footsteps fade away. Even on repeat playthroughs though, I have yet for the game to feel stale to me (though I freely admit I wish I could skip the cutscenes sometimes).

Now if you want to talk about a game breaking the sense of isolation feel free to throw all the stones you like at Prime 3. Nothing is more annoying then having the Aurora Unit constantly telling you where to go even after you turn off the hint system.

sprinter92

Mochtroid

Postby sprinter92 » 02.15.09 9:09pm

i've read all the chapters(whatever you want to call them) and i just have to say you rule with the opinions. Most of yours, if not all, are exactly the same as mine. (except for the zero suit-brawl thing you mentiond in "The Ending") and the guy below me is right on fusion as well. However, isolation is definetly key. If you compare fusion to super metroid, super metroid wins hands down. Although, i never really thought about it when i played fusion. i mean, compare it to zero mission. at first fusion is fun and explorative, but given that you beat it more than once, you'll soon realize that it was all planned out from the beginning. in other words, you get your abilities in order no matter what, but in zero mission you CAN skip the long beam, and the power grip(for the most part). Then fusion just becomes the game you don't want to play if it's exploration and isolation you're looking for. As for corruption, it's nice to actually talk to the federation ppls for once.
You know, mp2 was the VERY FIRST metroid game i ever played. so, seeing those federation ppls lying on the floor there teased me soooooo very much, i thought it would be cool to have at least one surviver follow me to the great temple and meet U-mos with me. then he would stay with him, and i would talk to the loner every once and a while. Cause then you're still isolated from the rest of the universe, traped with killer possesive capable beasts, but still able to hear and liscen to someone other than U-mos(which wasn't that entertaining).

SheegothHunter

Mochtroid

Postby SheegothHunter » 08.13.14 7:22pm

Dear Infinity's End,

Thank you for writing such an insightful and well-organized article about my favorite heroine of all time. I realize it was quite some time ago when you wrote it but I just discovered it recently. I actually learned a few things I didn't know before! :thumbsup:

Overall this is a fantastic essay and I hope to have the pleasure of reading more of your work someday.

Sincerely,

SheegothHunter

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 09.04.14 8:53pm

You're welcome. Granted that nowadays a bit of it are somewhat outdated but I'm happy you enjoyed it! :D
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

CrimsonCavalier

Mochtroid

Postby CrimsonCavalier » 05.24.16 5:40pm

I enjoyed the essay.

I don't necessarily agree with all the points, but I can appreciate where the ideas are coming from. I haven't beaten Fusion yet, but I find it to be one of the most compelling games in the series. The entire idea behind you, Samus Aran, the one that the Space Pirates call "The Hunter", being hunted by something else is quite a thrill.

The first time I encountered SA-X, I was terrified. It's such a good experience, that, even if the computer is talking to you constantly, you still feel alone and isolated, and definitely scared.

The only game I've yet to play is Other M, and I'll play it, and I'll make my own mind up about it.

Either way, good article. I enjoyed it.

Lolman

Hatchling

Postby Lolman » 03.12.17 12:58am

http://www.metroid-database.com/features/behind.php

There is an update for the "Name". The recent NES Classic Edition revealed Samus is Kiyotake thinking of Pelé... Though your analysis is interesting, ultimately you overthought it as the name was just chosen on a whim!

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 03.16.17 11:55am

http://www.metroid-database.com/features/behind.php

There is an update for the "Name". The recent NES Classic Edition revealed Samus is Kiyotake thinking of Pelé... Though your analysis is interesting, ultimately you overthought it as the name was just chosen on a whim!
That's correct. That Pele information was actually revealed right here on our site when we published this translated article (and no one credited us, big surprise!). I believe Kiyotake mentioned this again in another interview IIRC. The article is not a WIP kind of thing - it will not be continuously updated. It is a historical part of the MDb, errors or not.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Return to “%s” MDb News