General Feedback for the MDb's news.

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.

Do you read the MDb's main site?

Yes, it's awesome.
68%
Only when a certain headline interests me.
29%
No, I only use the board.
3%

Total votes : 109

Naner

Dark Samus

General Feedback for the MDb's news.

Postby Naner » 03.09.09 11:37am

I'm kinda dazzled there isn't a thread like this yet, but I decided to make it due to recent news. You can also use this thread to comment about any MDb news.

First, the interview with Samus. I was like "WTF? How can there be a so good Brazilian cosplayer?" especially since video-game cosplaying is pretty hard to find here (you can easily find otakus dressed as Naruto, though). I wonder if she's willing to sell that costume...

And the Metroid Prime re-release. I'm pleased to know I can shoot with B and change visors with +, since I'm used to it from Corruption. And this will be awesome. Very.

So, I really liked the recent news. Keep up the good work, guys!
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Sunshadow

Metroid

Re: General Feedback for the MDb's news.

Postby Sunshadow » 03.09.09 12:04pm

MDB is always first for any metroid news i need to search and its always updated quickly. You guys are the best.
The last Muffin, is in my captivity, My sister aint at peace.
Spanish: El ultimo Muffin, esta en mi captividad, Mi hermana, no esta en paz.

Done by me =D

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 03.09.09 8:48pm

I'd be remiss if I said I read everything. But if something looks cool (like a feature a la Behind the Visor), I'll give it a look.

I mean, I never got around to reading that translated manga, though I will, one day.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 03.09.09 9:40pm

This site is almost certainly the best thing on the Internet for Metroid fans. Keep up the good work!
"The world will always be more delicious than it is useful." - Robert Capon

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 03.10.09 1:26pm

Thanks everyone. It's not hard to be the #1 resource on Metroid. Metroid is a "niche" series -- certainly not as popular or famous as Mario or Zelda, no matter if we keep telling ourselves differently. Nintendo themselves don't seem to hold Metroid in near high-regard as their other franchises like Pokemon or Mario -- basically it just boils down to how much is going to give them the most money.

As most people know, Super Metroid did not sell well in Japan. Japan just does not have as big a fan base for the Metroid franchise. And since Nintendo originates in Japan, their view on the rest of the world is sometimes skewed with how they handle certain franchises.

But what defies all logic is how much care and effort was put into the Prime saga yet it still didn't greatly heighten the fan base for Metroid. Yes, it brought the franchise to a whole new generation of gamers but I think the choice to go into First Person probably also turned off even more Japanese gamers (and even the hardcore fans that hate any First-Person game) from getting into the franchse, which is even more disappointing.

Metroid is just a tragic, tragic series. It may be Nintendo's most underrated game series, but it's definitely one of their least popular. Sad, but true. (But would that make it any better, really? Maybe that's why we as fans, can say is an advantage of Metroid)

We try our absolute best to keep everyone interested in Metroid by keeping as much content as we can possibly find on the series. Which is sometimes more difficult than its worth. When you can't find something on our site, you usually can find it by searching through these forums or our links to other sites. It's just a tragedy. Super Metroid defines one of the purest forms of 2D gaming in existence -- it is probably one of the most influential games (in response to modern games of today) ever created. I just started playing Bioshock recently -- I keep noticing things along the way that greatly remind me of some things in the Prime games. We all know Retro used Super as their "bible." And that really says a lot about the staying power of this game.

We're very happy we can be your one-stop place for Metroid. When the MDb went through its "slump" and then later its revival, it's really hard for me to look back on it say enough people cared, or even still do care. Hell, even TJ doesn't care as much as he used to. But I still do it and I still care about this website. We've definitely made our mark on the Metroid fan base, permanently.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Hiroshi Mishima

Zeta Metroid

Postby Hiroshi Mishima » 03.10.09 7:46pm

I prefer to check the main site before ever stepping foot into the forums. As some are aware, I tend to be very opinionated/defensive/vocal on the Metroid series. I guess that comes from having been a fan since day one and having rather... mixed feelings.. on the direction the series has gone.

That aside, the Metroid Database is where I always go for my Metroid news, unless I've heard a rumour and I don't see anything on the main page, then I might go to IGN or GameSpot. I rarely come onto the boards for news. Typically I come to the board if something has come to my attention, or if I see my fiancee on the board while we're working on stuff.

I think the main site's news is pretty good, and I like how well organized it feels, too.
This is a Hiroshi Post™ signature.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 03.10.09 10:56pm

Though I agree to an extent classifying the Metroid's series as "tragic", I am not sure if I can call it "the most tragic"

Looking at the Greek notions of tragedy, something is tragic when a said person (or in this case, a game series) is placed so very high and then has a catastrophic fall, due to a fatal flaw in their character. This fatal flaw is the primary motivation of the tragedy, as it is the reason that the hero often falls in the first place. If bad things continually happen to the hero, then it is not tragic, per se, merely unfortunate.

In this light, Metroid is a highly unfortunate series. Good game after good game, high reviews, generally, but continually ignored by the general populace in favor of more well-loved series, so to speak.

But what then, is nintendo's most tragic series?

I would have to say that the answer is StarFox.

No other series captured the arcade shooter imagination of us all, in a glorious and new 3-D, to boot. These games captivated us in their pull, and StarFox 64 is often lauded as one of the pinnacles of the N64 gaming experience.

Now, I cannot tell you exactly what the series' fatal flaw is, but it had to be BIG in order to usher in the tragic fall into SF Adventures, then Assault, and then finally, Command.

Now THAT's tragedy.

Too bad about that there Metroid, though. Always a brides-maid, never a bride.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Postby Lazarius » 03.11.09 12:46am

I... I liked star fox assault...

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 03.11.09 2:25am

Without going too much off topoic, SF Adventures should have never been SF Adventures. It should have remained Dinosaur Planet, and that's that. The whole f'n game got ruined by "Miyamoto's comment." I also saw the game's ending sequence as a metaphor for Nintendo stepping in and ruining the artistic vision... but yeah going off topic again.

Metroid may never find itself in the limelight. Mario and Link will always push our gal out of that, it seems. I think Metroid's just not widley accessible enough.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 03.11.09 6:56pm

...Or everything to do with their craptastic advertising campaign. You know, I think the reason why Prime 3 sold nothing was because it wasn't advertised. Yeah, that could be the reason.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 03.11.09 7:49pm

CapCom wrote:...Or everything to do with their craptastic advertising campaign. You know, I think the reason why Prime 3 sold nothing was because it wasn't advertised. Yeah, that could be the reason.
Generally the marketing of the Metroid games has been pretty incompetent.
"The world will always be more delicious than it is useful." - Robert Capon

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 03.11.09 9:24pm

mental wrote:
CapCom wrote:...Or everything to do with their craptastic advertising campaign. You know, I think the reason why Prime 3 sold nothing was because it wasn't advertised. Yeah, that could be the reason.
Generally the marketing of the Metroid games has been pretty incompetent.

It's funny, too, because there is so much to market. Explosions, future tech, battlesuits, lasers, secrets, vast worlds, and of course Samus as a woman-- although they would probably lose the little fanbase they had if they used that tactic :wink: . Still, if all else fails, it's got the keys to appealing to an American audience, at least in the commercials (I get the feeling that the type people who would be attracted by the above list would not find Metroid very entertaining, but in such quantity there's bound to be a good number who do).

So yes, I'd mostly blame it on advertising, and how it seems that Nintendo doesn't recognize the potential of Metroid in America at least. That, and I think there's a failed potential for in-game story. There's plenty of detail, but not enough plot.

Hiroshi Mishima

Zeta Metroid

Postby Hiroshi Mishima » 03.18.09 7:20pm

Wow, thinking back to Metroid's various commercials, it's always kinda had rather pathetic ones for the most part. Anyone remember the Super Metroid one where they stuck a vicious dog into a room labeled Super Metroid and it came out as like some tiny mutt? Oh yeah, that really gets a gamer's attention.

Oh, or what about Metroid Prime: Hunters and it showing body after body falling into these pre-dug pits, showing just how often (and easilly) you'll die while playing the game? Yeah, that really made me wanna play the game.

But I think the commercial I think it was Metroid Prime 1.. where you saw Samus in the suit running around doing stuff. That was the kinda commercial I liked. I can't remember if Metroid Fusion had a similar one.

Then again, most Nintendo commercials tend to suck, so it isn't just Metroid that loses in that situation. Also, not to get off topic much, but I gotta say I agree with IE about SF Adventures. The game had promise, but there was no need for it to be a SF game at all. And to actually agree with Lazarius, I liked Assault as well. I just felt it could have used a bit more spit-and-polish, so to speak. I liked the gameplay and story, it just felt unbalanced in places.

But yeah.. Metroid.. is it the most tragic series, probably not. But I think it's pretty up there. Especially with the last few games just not quite hitting the mark (or in the case of Hunters, missing it entirely).

Actually, the most tragic series would have to be Mother. Because of all the bs surrounding it. Nintendo totally RUINED the advertising campaign with EarthBound, which caused poor sales. Then the game has all this audio in it which is apparently potential for multiple lawsuits if what I've been hearing is true, so it'll NEVER come out to the VC, and this goes true for Mother 1 (EarthBound Zero) and quite probably Mother 3, which just begs the question why Nintendo bothered to include any Mother 3 stuff in Brawl (which I still feel didn't need the freaking final boss as a boss charcter in it)..

Sorry, ranting again.. it's so hard not to these days... So yeah, Metroid.
This is a Hiroshi Post™ signature.

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 03.19.09 11:25am

The funniest part of that ad is at the end with the spinning GBA and the game footage playing on it -- a normal GBA screen did NOT look like that. Not even an Afterburner'd GBA would look as clear as that does.

False advertising? Most definitely.

Return to “%s” MDb News