Official "Wave Beam PodCast" Thread

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.
Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: Official "Wave Beam PodCast" Thread

Postby Infinity's End » 10.19.10 9:42am

Listening to wave beam 4. I just want to know what the remix of the brinstar (super metroid) is called, or where I can get it please thanks.
The remixes in the bg were taken from the Reserve Tank: Variations album.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 10.20.10 10:44am

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 10.20.10 1:59pm

So here is the thread.. was looking for it..

I wanted to throw out some theories on the points you made about Other M. Ya ya we all hear about this b4, but hear me out..

The one major complaint is the whole Samus taking orders things. No one seems to like it. But look at it this way. Samus was on the ship and came across her old officer and platoon. She agreed to take orders from Adam not only as a favor to him, but also for old times sake. Yes she is a bounty hunter, but it seemed like she wanted to be part of the team one final time so she agreed to take the orders and didnt seem to have any problems doing so.
If you think about it that way, it doesnt seem so bad. It actually, for me anyways, makes the game more tolerable or understandable.

The other thing I wanted to touch base on is the whole Ridley scene. I thought of it this way. She just came back from "killing" him in SM. Her very last mission, so to see him standing in front of her like this when she thought she had killed him put her in some kind of shock and fear. Its more like a [WTF? I just killed you. How could you possible be standing here!?!?!?!?! is he unkillable?] type thing. And the memory of her childhood came rushing in because of this fear she had.
If I think about it that way, it makes more sense then Samus being portrayed as being just afraid of him, when clearly we all know she is not.

Just my 2cents.

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 10.21.10 10:15am

In response to part two. About the end after the end with the music/noise conversation.

I love ambient music, I really appreciated the ambiance in other m...I also like catchy electronic/ambient stuff...None of the music or sound composition has bothered me much except for the pirate fight theme in the prime games...too much hype for me.

More importantly...I am currently playing Fantasyvania, (lords of shadow)..............it is just not, in any way Castlevania. It is a really good fantasy romp though.

Fun times :P
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

Tarzak

Metroid

Postby Tarzak » 10.21.10 11:28am

Great episode :) It was interesting to listen to other opinions.And yeah,when IT will start? :P
Image Image

yodanut

Gamma Metroid

Postby yodanut » 10.23.10 11:46am

Just listened to my first Wave Beam podcast and wanted to chime in with some thoughts. 

First of all, nice job! There was some nice chemistry at work in the discussion and some genuinely humorous moments. I too enjoyed listening to your observations, but there's one in particular I wanted to comment on. 

Sorry I can't point out who said it, but I totally agree that the authorization story point did not work. It did not work for the character of Samus, it did a disservice to the gameplay by depriving us of searching out the items, and it really doesn't even justify the difference in starting abilities between Super and Other M. After all, if she only has missiles de-activated, then why do we not have 255 of them when she activates them? And why are there pick ups scattered throughout the station?

I'm pointing this out because IE asked if there were better alternatives, and even though no one put forth any, I really think that there were. Hell, about anything else would have been a better alternative!

The best alternative would have been no explanation at all. Samus simply starts off with basic abilities, she finds new ones as the game progresses, and the story moves on around this as if it were an irrelevant point because, quite simply, that's just how Metroid games work. By trying to justify Samus losing her abilities at the start of every Metroid game you do absolutely nothing but detract from the character. She either has accidents that make her look like a clumsy oaf, or she gets marauded by enemies that steal her items, or she stumbles onto some other tragic and/or hilarious situation that, after several games, starts to seem like some sick parody. As was pointed out in the podcast, gameplay tropes often don't jive with stories. In those instances, gameplay should take precedence. 

But let's assume that an explanation was needed, and that Sakamoto wanted that element of CO giving orders and Samus taking them for his story's vision. Even then there were better alternatives. For example, we know Samus' suit is versatile enough to accept upgrades from a myriad sources, including downloading them from data stations. If Sakamoto absolutely NEEDED Samus to submit her full authority to Adam, he could have introduced a scene where, in order to ensure full compliance, Adam forcibly deactivates her upgrades, possibly through a Fusion-like terminal. As the game progresses and Adam recognizes the need for further upgrades, he would then activate the upgrade for download and authorize Samus to seek out a terminal.  They could even have tied in the deleter sub plot, as he could have then systematically been destroying terminals to hinder Samus, thus forcing us to actively seek out the next intact ones. Contrived? Perhaps. Too similar to Fusion? No more than the rest of the game. Better than authorization? Absolutely.

Rapture

Egg

Postby Rapture » 08.12.11 9:20am

So it seems like there hasn't been another one of these in a long time. I have listened to all of them, love the show, wish there was more.

Is there any interest in continuing this again?

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 08.12.11 11:17am

So it seems like there hasn't been another one of these in a long time. I have listened to all of them, love the show, wish there was more.

There is. All of us have been extremely busy. I'm mainly working on the Bestiary full time, so I doubt any new eps will be made until that is complete. I do all the sound editing for the show, so it takes a lot of work to make 1 ep. We do still want to do it, I just don't have any idea when it will happen again. Maybe we can do something in time for our 15th anniversary...
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Rapture

Egg

Postby Rapture » 08.12.11 11:19am

There is. All of us have been extremely busy. I'm mainly working on the Bestiary full time, so I doubt any new eps will be made until that is complete. I do all the sound editing for the show, so it takes a lot of work to make 1 ep. We do still want to do it, I just don't have any idea when it will happen again. Maybe we can do something in time for our 15th anniversary...
Oh okay, just wondering. I do my own podcast so I always like listening to others and this happens to be one of my recent favorites. I too do the sound editting for my show...and the advertising...and I host it. xD We're going on 45 episodes this Tuesday. But my cast has just enough free time to do it so I can see how being extremely busy can make problems.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 12.28.11 4:27am

New Wave Beam? Certainly been a while, right?

When will I be able to download Wave Beam via iTunes? I hate having to manage them manually...

In any case, I'll start downloading right now.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Rtype112000

Egg

Postby Rtype112000 » 06.15.13 9:43pm

Hello, I was just wondering if you guys will be releasing a new episode anytime soon, as it has been more than a year since the last one. I really enjoy listening to your thoughts and discussion on the franchise, and there are still a few things that can talked about, fusion and zero mission for example, as well as prime 3. You could also include fan hacks, like super zero mission, which could probably make an entire episode all on its own. Anyway, I was just wondering. (I do understand that you guys have your own lives to take care of and have probably just been to busy to make a new one)

Varia

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia » 06.20.13 1:50pm

I agree with Rtype112000, finish discussing the Metriod Prime saga. This topic is now more relevant because of Nintendo's recent decision to cease the 'friend code', trading feature in Metroid Prime 3.
Ask yourselves questions like: How could this decision effect the overall enjoyment or experience of the game? Will newer gamers playing Corruption not feel obligated to collect the tokens or preform well? Have you or your fellow pod-casters ever gotten all the tokens yourself, or how many friend-code have you gotten or shared with the community?

Maybe you could discuss the voice acting in this game compared to Other M's. The role of an 'authoritarian figure', comparing Fleet Admiral Castor Dane to Adam Malkovich or The Colonel (M:OM).

There is a great amount of historical lore, new races of alien specimens, Bosses and planet-hopping as well as ship-combat and introducing the player to fight using Phazon ... what did you find most enjoyable?
Samus had to work with teammates in this mission, what are your views on Ghor, Rundas and Gandrayda? Did the story do justice to these characters, do you wish you had more time with them?

Dark Samus made a comeback, was the it the epic conclusion to this Prime series you were hoping for?
And then after you've finished talking about Metroid Prime 3 you might want to have an side discussion on the latest Retro Studios interview.
Maybe for kicks, you could explore ideas or predictions of what you believe will be focused on the next Metroid game installment, if be your predictions of the storyline, game mechanics, visuals or whatever.
ImageImageImageImage

MiloScat

Mochtroid

Postby MiloScat » 08.12.13 6:57am

I love this podcast. It's a lot of fun to listen to and it's obvious that the participants are massive fans of Metroid. When you started throwing around Echoes ARG talk I knew you were serious.

I would love it even more if I had the convenience of iTunes, or even an xml feed which podcast apps can subscribe to. I know new episodes are rare, but I don't mind, I can let the feed sit there until a new one comes up, when I will jump on it and cram it into my waiting ears. Cheers!

Return to “%s” MDb News