General Contest Thread

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.

Moderator: Moderators

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

General Contest Thread

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.02.09 5:29pm

2012: Discussion for the "Stylized Metroid Series" Contest begins on Page 27 of this thread!
2011: Discussion for the "Design-A-Samus" Contest begins on Page 20 of this thread!
2010: Discussion for the "Design-An-Enemy" Contest begins on Page 12 of this thread!

Well, I feel that instead of clogging up a different topic for this stuff, we'll keep it all in one spot. Later, a mod may make an 'official' thread or something; oh well.

So, let's talk about that contest!

I won't lie... those prizes for first place made my mouth water a little bit... mainly for the Amazon gift card (lol)... However, if I WERE to compete, I'm not sure how I'd go about it (mainly from a getting-materials point of view). Though if I had more definite means, I'd be racing off at a shot at this (I might still try to cobble something together...). Still, I am highly intrigued at what sort of artistic interpretations we can have going here.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty neat idea, and I hope some folks around here with artistic inclinations give it a go.
Hiroshi Mishima wrote:must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

-ChozoChild-

Ridley

Re: General Contest Thread

Postby -ChozoChild- » 11.02.09 5:34pm

I'm really excited for this contest. My only concern is if your one of the winners.
Will we have to email the admins with our street address? Not much information is discussed about that.
Besides that, I'm looking forward to see all the entries! Do your best entry fellow fans! I might summit mine in soon. ;D

Thank you MDB for such a great idea!
Last edited by -ChozoChild- on 11.10.10 10:27pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Image Bored...? Use TUMBLR-TROID!

Jesse D

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Jesse D » 11.02.09 5:56pm

Emperor Ing wrote:Later, a mod may make an 'official' thread or something; oh well.

I'm actually surprised one wasn't made already. Oh well.
I hereby declare this the 'official' thread.
-Jesse DImage

Imperium

Hatchling

Postby Imperium » 11.02.09 6:06pm

I'm with Emperor Ing on this one, those are some pretty awesome prizes. I might be more inclined to compete if I were actually eligible to win, and if I wasn't so... let's call it "artistically challenged".

Regardless, I'm looking forward to what some of the people here will come up with. Can't wait to see the results! :D
"You need to Smeagol down, RTFN."
"You did not just tell me to... wait, what?"

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.02.09 6:49pm

-ChozoChild- wrote:I'm really excited for this contest. My only concern is if your one of the winners. Will we have to email the admins with our street address? Not much information is discussed about that.
Besides that, I'm looking forward to see all the entries! Do your best Metroid fellow fans! I might summit mine in soon. ;D

Thank you MDB for such a great idea!

Something tells me at least one of the four admins is NOT a criminal rapist/serial killer, so in that sense it will PROBABLY be safe to give your address to them.

Well, there's two months to do this. Lotsa time.

Should this be advertised here and abouts?
Hiroshi Mishima wrote:must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 11.02.09 8:55pm

Emperor Ing wrote:Should this be advertised here and abouts?

Yes, please tell as many people as you like about this. The more entries we get the better!
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! Over 3,800 unique artworks and still growing!

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.02.09 9:01pm

You know there are going to be ones who are going to complain..

I find the last rule total unfair!

Us Only?
No Canada how fair is that?!?! I'm sure there are a lot of Canadians on this board. Or am I the only one?
I still think its so unfair.
I really hate when people restrict it to one country like this. We are just above you. Hell I'm sure anyone in Canada would help pay the extra shipping if they won!

Good luck to everyone.

VGM out...
Last edited by VGMStudios on 11.02.09 11:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 11.02.09 9:22pm

VGMStudios wrote:You know there are going to be ones who are going to complain..

I find the last rule total bullshit!

Us Only?
No Canada how fair is that?!?! I'm sure there are a lot of Canadians on this board. Or am I the only one?
I still think its so unfair.
I really hate when people restrict it to one country like this. We are just above you. Hell I'm sure anyone in Canada would help pay the extra shipping if they won!

VGM out...

I think it's legal issues, not prejudice.

Outlaw

Super Metroid

Postby Outlaw » 11.02.09 9:27pm

Sucks for those in Britain and Brazil too.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 11.02.09 9:29pm

VGMStudios wrote: Or am I the only one?

Pretty sure you're the only one, dude.
I am basically paying for shipping out all of this stuff. Canada shipping prices, or anywhere else, for that matter, are LUDICROUS. I'm not stopping you from entering or creating your own, even if it's just for fun. But if yours turns out to be one of the top 3 best entries, I'm sure we could work something out. I definitely don't want to have to pay the insane costs for shipping, that's for sure.

Not everyone is so willing to split shipping costs. It's a contest. It's free to enter, and it should be free to win.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! Over 3,800 unique artworks and still growing!

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 11.02.09 10:25pm

Infinity's End wrote:
VGMStudios wrote: Or am I the only one?

Pretty sure you're the only one, dude.
I am basically paying for shipping out all of this stuff. Canada shipping prices, or anywhere else, for that matter, are LUDICROUS. I'm not stopping you from entering or creating your own, even if it's just for fun. But if yours turns out to be one of the top 3 best entries, I'm sure we could work something out. I definitely don't want to have to pay the insane costs for shipping, that's for sure.

Not everyone is so willing to split shipping costs. It's a contest. It's free to enter, and it should be free to win.

Well ok. I just needed to protest! :)

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Postby Lazarius » 11.02.09 11:04pm

I think I'll enter, even if I can't receive the prizes. This sounds like fun! :awesome:
sharonlover wrote:back on topic, take your bondage discussion to pm please

Sub-zero

Metroid Queen

Postby Sub-zero » 11.03.09 1:22am

Entries will be judged by the MDb staff. Winners will be announced on January 4, 2010.
Contest is for US residents only. (Shipping costs are too high for anywhere else.)

Curses! I see this kind of text more often than "Get free baby here!"
I know how to spell GENIOUS nowbaremyarcticblast
Adam Malkovich authorises you to play your copy of Metroid Prime.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 11.03.09 12:30pm

Infinity's End wrote:Canada shipping prices, or anywhere else, for that matter, are LUDICROUS.

Not quite. My cousin payed 6 Dollars to send the MPT poster to Brazil, plus around 4 for the game + T-shirt. I doubt shipping all that 1st place stuff would cost more than 10 Dollars.

I'm gonna consider my entry... Even if I can't get the prizes, it would be fun. I'll post back soon enough.
Tianna wrote:Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Jais

Alpha Metroid

Postby Jais » 11.03.09 1:31pm

I might enter, even though I live in Norway.
I think I have some epoxy putty lying around and some acrylic paint, after my love affair with Games Workshop miniatures. :D

Next

Return to MDb News