Survey: What browser do you use to visit the MDb?

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.

What browser do you use when visiting the MDb?

Internet Explorer
9%
Firefox
57%
Chrome
24%
Safari
9%
Opera
2%
Camino
No votes
Other (Please state which)
No votes

Total votes : 46

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Survey: What browser do you use to visit the MDb?

Postby CapCom » 11.12.09 12:43pm

This is a little survey on what kind of browser you use to visit the MDb. If you use multiple browsers, pick the one you use most frequently. This can help us with site and forum updates and browser compatibility.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Reconite

Metroid Queen

Re: Survey: What browser do you use to visit the MDb?

Postby Reconite » 11.12.09 1:02pm

Google Chrome, because my Firefox is buggy and slow.

sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Postby sharonlover » 11.12.09 1:12pm

I use firefox. It just still seems to run so much smoother then IE7 or any other browser i've used.
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.12.09 2:20pm

Since IE sucks a whole lot of cyber cock, I use Firefox. I have really no interest in Chrome; for what it's worth, Firefox sees me through.

Though I always hear good things about Opera. Gosh, it must have really changed from the piece of shit it was in me high-school days.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Triforce of the Gods

Zeta Metroid

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 11.12.09 2:43pm

Chrome because IE sucks and Firefox seems a little slower last time I checked.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 11.12.09 6:28pm

I think the regular MDb user is an intermediate or advanced computer user, most of which use Firefox, so I'm pretty sure that it'll win.

Internet Explorer 8 sucks worse than 7. Opera is just lame. Chrome is nice and fast, but it lacks, well, everything. Firefox may be a bit too bulky, but it has everything I want and need (even window transparency!).

I intend on making a Firefox mod called Lightfox for my course conclusion project next year, but I'm not quite sure it will work as well as I want it to...
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 11.12.09 6:43pm

Firefox does seem to run a bit slow, despite being advertised as 'faster'. However, I've started having problems with Chrome - the more tabs you have open, the slower it takes to load a new one, and the slower it takes to view an old open tab.

However, the Fox runs too slow on my Mac, so I am using Safari for just about everything.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Reconite

Metroid Queen

Postby Reconite » 11.12.09 7:00pm

CapCom wrote:the slower it takes to load a new one, and the slower it takes to view an old open tab.

That actually isn't something to do with Chrome, it's a Virtual Memory problem. Basically, if you haven't got the Virtual Memory, don't open 20 tabs at once, all browsers work like that.
Darth Naner wrote:Chrome is nice and fast, but it lacks, well, everything.

I wouldn't say that, sure it lacks the ability to have add-ons like Firefox but it has a lot of 'Chrome > Firefox' points to it aswell. As soon as Chrome gets add-ons, y'all come running. :awesome:

:P

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Postby Lazarius » 11.12.09 7:57pm

I use Safari at home, and Firefox at school. Safari is faster, and firefox doesn't show italics or bold text.

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 11.12.09 8:25pm

I use Firefox at home, and some whacked-out version of mobile IE on my Zune HD. Both display fine.

Jesse D

Former Staff - Lead Engineer

Postby Jesse D » 11.12.09 8:38pm

Reconite wrote:That actually isn't something to do with Chrome, it's a Virtual Memory problem.

Or, don't be using a system so underpowered that it would need to utilize virtual memory. RAM is cheap nowadays. :cool:

As it gets more and more features, Firefox slowly evolves into a slower, more vulnerable program. Its UI is always getting clunkier. Just as I predicted when everybody began to adopt Firefox en masse as the ultimate IE killer, it would eventually become the new IE. It's gaining its share of security flaws, though at least Mozilla patches them very quickly.

In consideration of where to run after FF jumps the shark, I'm still on the fence between Opera and Chrome. Opera has become a damn fast and solid browser in recent times, not to mention being very accurate with rendering and consistent across multiple operating systems (including my cellphone). Though Chrome has a bright future and a zippy little Javascript engine, which may give it the edge in the webapp-dominated future of webpages.

Either way, Adblock Plus has me spoiled.
-Jesse DImage

Reconite

Metroid Queen

Postby Reconite » 11.12.09 9:27pm

Jesse D wrote:Either way, Adblock Plus has me spoiled.

I'm pretty sure it's against the law to encourage other people to use ad-blocking programs on your own site (now this has ads anyway). Same with it being against the law for any of the admins to click their own site's ads?

I have no idea how this stuff works, really.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 11.12.09 9:31pm

It's against the law for admins to encourage users to click the ads, and admins gain no money from clicking them themselves. More accurately, the ones who have the host account can't click on them.

Mods on the other hand...

Anyway, that's not the point.
Firefox has worked very admirably for me, with no real problems.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 11.12.09 10:35pm

I have a pretty decent computer, but for some reason FireFox is really slow for me, so I use Chrome. I really have no need for add-ons; while Adblock Plus is nice, ads don't really bother me to begin with. And Chrome has themes too (not too much selection, but I use a cool brushed chrome theme - although it kind of reminds me of a Mac window :roll: ). I just need a browser that allows me to surf the Internet and that displays everything correctly, and Chrome does it fine, not to mention it's the fastest browser I've tried so far.
i like it when people sig me

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 11.12.09 10:44pm

Urban Dictionary says it best:

I'm glad most of you people have a good head on your shoulders. I refuse to use anything other than FF, mainly because of ABP. I couldn't browse the internet without it.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Return to “%s” MDb News