Metroid Database Bestiary Appreciation and Discussion Thread

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.

Moderator: Moderators

Dekutulla

Metroid

Metroid Database Bestiary Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Postby Dekutulla » 08.09.11 10:02am

ADMIN EDIT: Please use this thread as the official discussion place for the Metroid Database Bestiary. --IE :D
Get word out! Please "Fave Up" this news article on Deviant Art!

Is there already a thread for the bestiary?

I put this thread here because I don't know where else to put it.
Remember Me?

kadosho

Alpha Metroid

Re: Metroid bestiary

Postby kadosho » 08.09.11 11:56am

I haven't seen a thread yet, but its an open project on the main site.
Hopefully it will be complete soon. I'm sure the forum can help as well.
Not a bad idea to start a thread for the project.

Dekutulla

Metroid

Postby Dekutulla » 08.09.11 1:22pm

So, uh, should this be the thread?

Or will IE start one?

Hey, IE, if you're reading, feel free to take this over.
Remember Me?

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 08.10.11 9:19am

Nope, no bestiary thread yet. But it might be better to have it in Fan Creations. :AH: If you guys have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! Over 3,100 unique artworks and still growing!

kadosho

Alpha Metroid

Postby kadosho » 08.12.11 9:19pm

Do tell IE, I was wondering what parts are some of the team covering.
Original to Super (3)? And then after? Or can some of the community help?

:kraid:

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 08.13.11 6:02am

I was wondering... was the bestiary the super awesome thing you were so excited about that you guys did for the 25th anniversary? I mean, the bestiary is something super awesome, but we only got its announcement in the anniversary. I just want to make sure there isn't another super awesome thing to happen in the next 18 days or so.
Tianna wrote:Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 08.13.11 5:04pm

I am a little confused as to why someone would want to make a bestiary for Metroid. What will it consist of?

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 08.13.11 5:19pm

Well, for one thing, it will be illegal in most of the states- wait a minute, I'm thinking of bestiality again.

There was this one Metroid site I stumbled upon about a decade ago that had a comprehensive bestiary of sorts for the franchise. It was pretty neat with how it detailed all the critters and whatnot. It looked all futuristic and sleek. It was pretty boss. So if MDb can pull something off like that, but give more detailed information about the creatures (like how to kill 'em and stuff) without getting too fanfic-ish, then it would be totally wizard.

A place that contains information and pictures about every single creature in the Metroid Universe. I like that.
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 08.14.11 11:01pm

Yes, the bestiary is indeed this "Super awesome thing" i was talking about. Once it becomes available, it will blow your minds. I'm serious. Your faces will be like this -> O_O I assure you, the art that people have created for this is of the absolute highest calibre.

The games we are currently covering are M1, MZM, M2, SM, and MF. Primes are still in discussion, but may be a combination of screenshots of the in-game models (from the logbook) and/or custom artwork.

Including myself, there are 20 artists aboard. We have all of the enemies from M1 currently finished.
The main thing we are trying to work on right now is the GUI, which will be a mix of HTML/Javascript (not Flash if we can help it) and should work in as many browsers as possible. It might not seem like much at a glance but I assure you, it is a VERY large project.

So if MDb can pull something off like that, but give more detailed information about the creatures (like how to kill 'em and stuff) without getting too fanfic-ish, then it would be totally wizard.

I am guessing you're referring to Metroid Galaxy Guide? MGG is decent and has been a great reference and inspiration for this project. But it's not without its problems. It is incomplete, uses lots of fanfiction-ish writing for its descriptions, and also contains a lot of errors. It also successfully has confused a lot of people (myself at first) by giving fake names for things and making everyone think they are official. We aim to leave MGG completely in the dust.

Yes, we are going to have a bit of fanfic-ish stuff here and there but definitely nothing over the top. We also don't want to go into long walls of text that probably no one are going to read. Descriptions will be short, entertaining, and to the point. We will not be asking for community help at this point. Maybe we can gain some input once it's released, but not until then.

Chozo Guardian

Zeta Metroid

Postby Chozo Guardian » 08.30.11 5:21pm

Can't wait to see what it will look like. :choogle: BTW Metroidguide is awesome. All the Prime series bioforms are pretty much the logbook entries word for word, but the rest is original. It's really an awesome site. (Did you know, for example, that Twin Tabula from the MP1 observatory is actually 2 planets? Or that the reason Dormine II is "an uninhabitable wasteland savaged by nuclear dust storms and constant seismic upheavals" is because those bastard Pirates literally NUKED the WHOLE FRIGGIN' PLANET to DEATH?!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Or that Miteralis, the virus on Billium was both CREATED AND given sentience by the Pirates to KILL EVERYONE on the planet JUST to get some UNIQUE TECHNOLOGY?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: Basically WHOLESALE genocide! >_< >_<X )
Sadly, the music that used to play in the background no longer plays, but I have recorded it from the web archive and attatched here so you can listen when you visit the site. Just extract it from the .zip file. Enjoy! z:)
Attachments
Metroidguide (Creepy Ruins Remix).zip
I had to dumb down the quality with an audio converter because the original file was over 7 mb even when compressed!
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 152 times
Image Image Image

Malake256

Egg

Re: Metroid Database Bestiary Appreciation and Discussion Th

Postby Malake256 » 10.16.11 7:36pm

It's looking pretty sick so far :D Nice job people, really amazing job :] It's looking really good for an early phase, I can't wait to see what a complete MDBestiary will look like :D

Chozo Guardian

Zeta Metroid

Postby Chozo Guardian » 10.17.11 6:53am

The bestiary looks awesome, but there's one little problem: MZM has the exact same creatures as the nes Metroid, so I strongly reccommend you merge the two. (It does have a few new ones, like the giant larvae, Imago, and two from Super Metroid, but still.) Other than that, the bestiary looks awesome, as do the new, for lack of a better term, "pop out" game icons. Keep it up! :thumbsup: :awesome:
Image Image Image

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 10.17.11 7:14am

I believe they decided to keep Zero Mission separated from Metroid because some of the enemies which appear in both (particularly Kraid and Mother Brain) require different tactics when being fought. And, of course, there is a decent amount of new bosses (the charge beam worm, the acid worm, Imago, the Chozo Guardian, Mecha Ridley, etc.).
Tianna wrote:Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 10.17.11 9:32am

Naner wrote:I believe they decided to keep Zero Mission separated from Metroid because some of the enemies which appear in both (particularly Kraid and Mother Brain) require different tactics when being fought. And, of course, there is a decent amount of new bosses (the charge beam worm, the acid worm, Imago, the Chozo Guardian, Mecha Ridley, etc.).

BINGO. Thanks Naner now I don't have to explain it! :AH: MZM's section will be on display soon, after we fix some bugs.

Excavion_Aran

Hatchling

Postby Excavion_Aran » 10.17.11 12:57pm

Absolutely awesome. I am amazed at the amount of detail that went into this and its still only in its alpha stage. To the people that work on this masterpiece, I give my thanks and congrats to. Everyone from the artists, writers, designers, programmers, ect have something to very proud of. This is again a great bar raised by mdb and proof why we are the #1 fan site on the web. 15 years running strong and still striving for perfection. Im sure I can speak for everyone here when i say thanks.
From the depths of hell erupted the chaotic knight, the right arm of Zafuuron...the hand of war. His name will be forever in the tortured minds he has damned, Excavion Traus... The Bless'd Death.

Next

Return to MDb News