BESTIARY BUG REPORTS

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.
Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

BESTIARY BUG REPORTS

Postby Infinity's End » 10.14.11 7:44pm

This thread is for bug reporting on the MDb Bestiary.
Also, please be as technically specific as possible. If you know the exact steps to replicate the bug, please describe that here.

:geemer: MAIN GUI :geemer:
  • "The" is not included in the subtitle of Metroid II and needs to be removed for accuracy.
  • apostrophes, quotation, other misc. characters will have an added \ before them.
  • The buttons always link to the Metroid entry and not the alphabetically-first entry from the game.(workaround currently in place)
  • Many of the Keyboard Shortcuts are not fully-functional
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Re: BUG REPORTS

Postby Tim » 10.14.11 9:50pm

When editing, something is causing the Master List to add new entries instead of overwriting the old ones.
Actually it's listing the entries as many times as that entry has regions. All the creatures that are listed twice have two regions and when I added all 5 M1 regions to the metroid it was listed 5 times. This sounds like it should be an easy fix Jesse D can implement when he gets back.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 10.15.11 10:38am

# apostrophes, quotation, other misc. characters will have an added \ before them.
Is that just because of the difference in characters? (i.e. ’ vs ') I was just going back and editing those out after I pasted.
Selecting the character's appropriate Location (Game/Planet/Region) will not appear in the GUI until you go back, edit, select it again, and click submit. It will not appear the first time you select it while creating a new entry.
Yeah, the location selection system is super-annoying. I noticed I had to reselect when I went back to edit, but didn't see it won't actually save the first time.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 10.15.11 7:04pm

You can publish multiple entries at once by control+clicking the 'publish' buttons to open them in a new tab. Just close the tabs.

We need a location in Super Metroid for the Ceres Space Colony (referred to in Japanese usually as the Space Academy, which makes more sense as it's a research station).
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 10.15.11 8:09pm

Artists' names do not link to their respective DA pages/websites.
This is because no one has entered the urls into the acp. Whoever knows the appropriate urls can add them by editing the artists in the Manage Artists section.

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 10.15.11 9:24pm

Okay, I've added the links. There are 22 artists listed in the acp, but 23 in that forum post. I'm sure you're aware of this and there is a reason for it, but just in case, I'll mention it.

Naner

Dark Samus

Re: BESTIARY BUG REPORTS

Postby Naner » 10.16.11 2:47pm

First of all: Nice work on the bestiary. It's looking really great! :thumbsup:

I haven't played around with it too much yet, but I've found something. In the Super Metroid section, the last entry (Zebesian Roach) is somewhat annoying to click, because the one above it (Zebesian (Gray)) occupies two lines when highlighted, hence pushing the entry to a barely clickable area. Maybe there should be an empty space after the last entry so it has some space to move down. Or maybe line breaking while highlighted should be avoided completely, because it also makes navigating slightly more annoying in an overall.

Also, the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to be working at all.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 10.16.11 2:59pm

Currently only the < and > keys do anything.

I'll see what I can do about the list.

Nathan92

Metroid

Postby Nathan92 » 10.16.11 11:25pm

I noticed that whenever I click a link, it forces down to the bottom of the page, making me scroll back up. ( this is when the whole bestiary page is opened in a new tab, not sure if it does this when I just click it within the same window).

Also, the scroll bars seem to be on the left side now? They cover up some text.

It looks great though!

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 10.17.11 1:03am

Yeah, Infinity's End has spotted that problem with the scrollbars a few times, though I've never seen. I think it might be a Chrome issue or a browsers that aren't Firefox issue. I just implemented a potential fix so keep an eye out and tell me if you see the problem again.

Currently when you click on the arrows to navigate to the next or previous pages the page will scroll down to line the top of the browser window up with top of the bestiary. There was some debate about whether this would be useful (i.e. you don't have to see the page header every time you load a new page) or if it would just be annoying. If anyone has an opinion post it here.

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 10.17.11 5:29am

Perhaps it should be on it's own subsite or something?

For me every page I click on reloads the main site surrounding it each time which seems inefficient.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 10.17.11 6:47am

True. reloading the whole MDb around it is pretty inefficient. I think you should try reloading just that portion of the page, and maybe making it scroll so the top of the bestiary is on the top of the browser window. I currently have to scroll down the MDb's header to view the image and info properly.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 10.17.11 8:18am

Great job on the bestiary. Im not sure if anyone else is having this issue but Ive tried loading in 2 different browsers and I get the same result. I tried it in IE and flock (is a spin off of firefox) and I get this GUI problem in both.
untitled.JPG
VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 10.17.11 8:34am

I checked it out and it really looks bad in IE8. Then again, everything looks bad in IE8, especially something so JS and CSS heavy. I'll check it out in IE9 later.

Firefox 7 and 8, Chrome 12, Safari 5 and Opera 11 seem to be working perfectly.

VGM, do you know what version of Firefox is Flock based on? Probably earlier than 4 to have that kind of issue.

And may I say, good job in making this work without a single ounce of Flash.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 10.17.11 8:47am

From what I can gather flock is based on either version 3 or 4 of firefox.
and you are right. IE version is 8. (I cant upgrade its a work PC)

if there is anything else you need to know please ask.

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Return to “%s” MDb News