PSA: E-mails leaked, so watch out for spam

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.
CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

PSA: E-mails leaked, so watch out for spam

Postby CapCom » 11.10.11 9:43pm

Hi folks. Sorry to bring this announcement up, but one of the script kiddies from a few months back took his information and compiled a list of e-mail addresses from everyone on the forum and posted it on a hacking site. We've been able to alleviate the problem, but someone already downloaded the list and started spamming everyone. (We didn't want to make this public until the hosted file was removed.)

Let me reiterate here that NO PASSWORDS WERE INCLUDED. All that's there is a list of usernames and e-mails, which is something anyone who's a member of the forum can get anyway. It's just all together in one file so someone can now mass-e-mail people.

Jesse D has assured me the worst that can happen from this is you will get...spam. Maybe even spam that has e-mail links you don't want to click (i.e. that links to spyware or trojans).

So, if you get any weird e-mail (even if it says 'Metroid Database' in the subject header), just delete it on sight and block the original sender if necessary. Annoying, yes, but the same common sense with all e-mail still applies.

Remember: the Metroid Database NEVER sends out mass e-mails (though we can send out mass PMs if need be).
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Naner

Dark Samus

Re: PSA: E-mails leaked, so watch out for spam

Postby Naner » 11.11.11 4:25am

I'll be on the lookout, Cap.

This sort of thing happens. And it's good to know our passwords are safe.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

TheBlackCat

Omega Metroid

Postby TheBlackCat » 11.13.11 4:25am

It happens. The email address I use here is publicly available online anyway because I am on a bunch of public mailing lists and software changelogs, so it gets a lot of spam anyway from spiders. That's why I use this email address instead of my personal one.
Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965

R7038 XX

Anonymous

Postby R7038 XX » 11.18.11 11:10pm

Hi folks. Sorry to bring this announcement up, but one of the script kiddies from a few months back took his information and compiled a list of e-mail addresses from everyone on the forum and posted it on a hacking site. We've been able to alleviate the problem, but someone already downloaded the list and started spamming everyone. (We didn't want to make this public until the hosted file was removed.)

Let me reiterate here that NO PASSWORDS WERE INCLUDED. All that's there is a list of usernames and e-mails, which is something anyone who's a member of the forum can get anyway. It's just all together in one file so someone can now mass-e-mail people.

Jesse D has assured me the worst that can happen from this is you will get...spam. Maybe even spam that has e-mail links you don't want to click (i.e. that links to spyware or trojans).

So, if you get any weird e-mail (even if it says 'Metroid Database' in the subject header), just delete it on sight and block the original sender if necessary. Annoying, yes, but the same common sense with all e-mail still applies.

Remember: the Metroid Database NEVER sends out mass e-mails (though we can send out mass PMs if need be).
Not again :facepalm:

Return to “%s” MDb News