Design a Samus Contest Feedback

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.
Kraid Raid

Gamma Metroid

Design a Samus Contest Feedback

Postby Kraid Raid » 12.27.11 10:03pm

Hey all,

I want to start this thread specifically to solicit feedback for my contest entry, but if you wish to do so for yours as well, please feel free. If nothing else, I will try to provide you something useful.

Side note: I don't want to mini-mod, but I think it should be said that trolling/flaming is unacceptable. Be nice, fer cryin out loud. This should be used to provide constructive criticism and help develop our individual artistic abilities. :)

Peace
Raid

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Re: Design a Samus Contest Feedback

Postby CapCom » 12.27.11 11:35pm

Yeah, sure. We can do comments separate.

First off, I picked the MX-Suit as one of my top three (However, hardly any of the other four admins did too. Again, there were four or five pieces that were all within about two points of each other when we tallied everyone's score). I think if you look at the suit's design (starting with the Ridley sketch), it's a really neat design. But rule no. 1 that I think prevented it from making the top three: simplify the color scheme. Both of these suits should have made do with about three colors apiece, and the design would have been 100% more effective. For instance, the Endo Suit should have used blue, dark blue, and black. It's really too bad, because I felt the concept was very high.

Anyway, I really love the Zero Suit redesigns that came around this time. I think Samus has been over-sexualized since Fusion (honestly, it's a little hard to tell with the resolution of the earlier games). One of my friends labeled her as "the Aryan pinup girl", and that's correct. She's there for eye candy as a reward at the end of the game. Anibal, Victor, and Sakrachi covered up her assets quite nicely, and the suit designs are still very practical (though technically the Chozo Armor will reflect attacks to either her neck or her midriff). There's that problem of asserting Samus's femininity, but also making do with the awesome power suit. Zero Suit serves that function quite nicely, but it's skintight and leaves little to the imagination - if she wasn't fighting so many aliens, I'd wonder if it was like that for tactical advantage. But Samus could have also used short hair in Victor's piece - the bun makes her look too matronly. :AH:

Another thing I liked about the designs is it really shows what makes Samus such an iconic character. If you remove certain things like her gun arm or change her helmet significantly, you're no longer looking at Samus. The helmet is as much her face as her real face. Hardeman's Fusion Suit is so weird because it makes her look like a monster. You see that in a game, and you'd be like 'I'm playing a monster!' Which, if you think about it, is what the Chozo and Federation created. Make her suit green, and it looks too much like Master Chief. So there's a lot about the suit you can change and have it still be Samus, but there are a few things that you can change and it will no longer feel like Samus. That's my observation.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

ShinobiSai

Hatchling

Postby ShinobiSai » 12.28.11 12:43am

First, for everyone's sake, here is the link to the contest results page:

http://www.metroid-database.com/features/contest-3.php

Now, Kraid specifically:
I shall begin with Well Done, Sir. :) I can certainly see elements of the Varia Suit and Fusion Suits, as well as some of your own flavor. They are all nicely melded and compliment each other well. I like the idea you were trying to employ here. If I have one piece of constructive criticism here, it's this: the helmet. I read your description, and you said you wanted to spreamline it and give it better breathing functions. An excellent plan. However, streamlining would mean making the helmet more angled and flatter to cut the wind. Making it round like that decreases its airodynamics and makes it a hazard to Samus's poor neck.
All in all, good design. I like her little hand blade. (I gave her some on her arm cannon in mine. :D )

That's my two cents. I hope you enjoyed them, because now I'm two cents poorer.
C[ <- It's a Metroid! O_O

Ice Trooper

Egg

Postby Ice Trooper » 12.28.11 7:17am

I'd appreciate some feedback on mine (Nova Suit), if someone doesn't mind..(I wonder if the heels might have been a bad idea? I explained why they are there and how they aren't like that when she's running, but still, I don't know...)

Lots of cool entries! I really like the Space Pirate inspired armors for some reason! I liked the concept of Form 67, having two different forms based on night and day. The Force Suit is also pretty cool, armor made of force fields powered by water? I just really dig that, and it looks unique and cool. I haven't checked all the descriptions yet, so maybe I'll read 'em all and add some more comments later.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 12.28.11 9:37pm

But Samus could have also used short hair in Victor's piece - the bun makes her look too matronly. :AH:
I was trying to make her look like a pilot but yeah it didn't work out too well. Probably shouldn't have made any changes there. Short hair looked way too much like :gsamus: though, and I'm not a fan of that design.

ShinobiSai

Hatchling

Postby ShinobiSai » 12.29.11 12:36am

I'd appreciate some feedback on mine (Nova Suit), if someone doesn't mind..(I wonder if the heels might have been a bad idea? I explained why they are there and how they aren't like that when she's running, but still, I don't know...)
I liked your design. At first, the "tail" on her helmet really put me off, because I couldn't figure out what it was for. But when I read the description, I laughed. XD After all, Zero Suit Samus has a LOT of hair. I've wondered before how she possibly fits it in her helmet. Your design provides a good solution!

:adam: - I authorize the use of hair-holding helmets.

The design of the arm cannon was very nice as well. As for the heels, I get the sentiment, but they look too fragile to meld well with her otherwise powerful suit. It seemed like you were trying to over-emphasize the fact that she is a girl. In your description, I see why they are included and they seem very useful. I think the should be kept, but perhaps make them look less delicate/girly and more like boots that can pack a punch? Just my opinion.

My design was the Space Pirate Tech one with the pixel-art, if anyone wants to tell me their feelings on it. :)

Kraid Raid

Gamma Metroid

Postby Kraid Raid » 12.29.11 2:23am

Ice Trooper -- I thought you had a very unique, original concept and it was very well drawn. The only thing I can think of that I might have changed would be to make the orange maybe a little bit brighter. It seems like you went with a sort of yellow/tan, which works, but wouldn't have been my first choice. I have to say though, I love the helmet tail. Excellent idea. I envision this as a sort of whip weapon ala Simon Belmont (cue Willow Smith reference) or possibly like the drain tentacle of a Hunter Metroid from MP1.

Okey (I'm assuming you're Victor, congratulations btw) -- I got a very "VR Trooper" feel from your helmet. (see this if you don't get the reference) I also like how you incorporated the Chozo symbol instead of the usual "L" shaped light on the chest plate. I thought your design was simplistic without being minimalist. I liked the use of a single abdominal plate instead of a billion individual segments (something I probably would have done if I had thought of it) and for some reason I got a sort of "Iron Man" vibe, possibly from this. Congrats again on taking first place!

ShinobiSai -- You had a unique backstory involved with your suit; I must commend you on a plotline I doubt many people have considered. As far as your suit design, I honestly think you had a bit of a disadvantage going solely with a sprite entry though I personally created a sprite and would have liked to see a few more. I was reading your description trying to find a reason for the different colored helmet/chestplate; was there one? If so, could you point it out to me? I liked the color scheme -- the monochrome suit with orange lights really made it pop in my opinion. I also liked the presence of the blades (I feel like Samus really needs some sort of melee weapon, especially after Other M) although I feel like it could have been just as, if not more, effective with a single blade similar to the pirate design in MP1. Just my thoughts.

Also, ShinobiSai, thanks for the feedback on my suit. Now that you say that, it does make sense to me and if I were to go back I probably would at least angle the helmet front-to-back a little to make it more aerodynamic. For some reason I was thinking a sphere would be better than an air-cutting design (possibly from watching Dragonball Z as a kid and thinking a Saiyan space pod was actually a good design for a spaceship. 8B ) Looking at it now I think it's awkward, like a bowling ball on top of the suit instead of a helmet. I also would've liked to do something different with the arm cannon, as I really just tried to rip off the design from Fusion for it. I think my sprite came out good though and I'm honestly proud of it. Maybe my drawing concept would have turned out better if I had started with the sprite and built off that.

Anyway, that's probably enough rambling for one post. Keep the feedback coming for mine (if you have any).

Peace
Raid

EDIT: Okey, I forgot to mention this the first time around. In the military (or at least the Air Force) females are to either have their hair cut short so it doesn't touch the collar in the back :gsamus: or have it put in a bun. So for a pilot that would be correct to Air Force regulations.

:adam: - I'm authorizing the use of Air Force regulations in your artwork.

Ice Trooper

Egg

Postby Ice Trooper » 12.29.11 7:22am

I liked your design. At first, the "tail" on her helmet really put me off, because I couldn't figure out what it was for. But when I read the description, I laughed. XD After all, Zero Suit Samus has a LOT of hair. I've wondered before how she possibly fits it in her helmet. Your design provides a good solution!

:adam: - I authorize the use of hair-holding helmets.

The design of the arm cannon was very nice as well. As for the heels, I get the sentiment, but they look too fragile to meld well with her otherwise powerful suit. It seemed like you were trying to over-emphasize the fact that she is a girl. In your description, I see why they are included and they seem very useful. I think the should be kept, but perhaps make them look less delicate/girly and more like boots that can pack a punch? Just my opinion.

My design was the Space Pirate Tech one with the pixel-art, if anyone wants to tell me their feelings on it. :)
Thanks! Good thing I got authorization for that kind of helmet! Well...for this design I was mainly combining the Fusion :fusion: and Zero suits :zss: , so it felt right to emphasize her femaleness a little. The heels were unnecessary I suppose. Perhaps I should have gone with Mega Man Zero style heels if I really wanted them, those are much sturdier looking. I could have made shorter heels too.

I think your design was really cool! A pixel art only entry was interesting, and for some reason I like an all-gray suit for Samus (like the Light Suit :lightsuit: ) The orange goes really well with the gray for some reason. The big pointy shoulders are a nice variation from her regular rounded ones. And hey, combining the Power Suit with Space Pirate Technology just is a cool idea I hope they explore someday.

Ice Trooper -- I thought you had a very unique, original concept and it was very well drawn. The only thing I can think of that I might have changed would be to make the orange maybe a little bit brighter. It seems like you went with a sort of yellow/tan, which works, but wouldn't have been my first choice. I have to say though, I love the helmet tail. Excellent idea. I envision this as a sort of whip weapon ala Simon Belmont (cue Willow Smith reference) or possibly like the drain tentacle of a Hunter Metroid from MP1.
Thanks! Looking back, I would have liked an orange-ish color more than the yellow. Originally I was kind of inverting Fusion Suit colors (and to a lesser extent, Fusion Suit colors) but after I thought of the name, story, and abilities, I realized orange would have been a better color, but it didn't feel right to go back and change it at that point. I considered the idea to make the helmet tail hair whip thing into a weapon, but it just seemed sort of awkward, and not something Samus would do. All I came up with is some kind of defense against Metroids, which I can't really properly explain. Her hair being there stops Metroids from draining energy from her head? :metroid: I don't know. But maybe she could whip her hair back and forth, and have a melee attack like the Belmonts that drains health?

ShinobiSai

Hatchling

Postby ShinobiSai » 12.29.11 10:59am

Kraid Raid- Thanks! I actually like my plotline more than how my suit turned out, so I'm glad you took the time to read it. :) I'm not very good at drawing, which is why I went with the all-pixel approach. I feel that my bad art would have detracted from the design more than having no drawn art. XD

If anyone is interested, this is the site I used to make the pixel art: http://piq.codeus.net/

As for the differences in helmet color, I had creted a diagram explaining some things but I guess they chose not to show it. I included it in this post. In essence, The all-silver one (it's supposed to be silver, but the closest color I could use was grey) is her begin-the-game, minimum-systems suit.

:adam: - I have not authorized any powerups.

The one with the gold helmet is her end-of-the-game, no-holds-barred, fully operational suit. If you look, the arm cannon is structured differently and there are some other minor differences.

Thank you for the feedback!
Attachments
Diagram.jpg

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 12.30.11 10:26am

I'm betting my entry is probably one of the worse ones. I'd have to say I'm not too happy with how I did the lips or the waist, though.

Kraid Raid

Gamma Metroid

Postby Kraid Raid » 12.30.11 2:04pm

I'm betting my entry is probably one of the worse ones.

Though it probably wouldn't have gotten my vote for execution, I will say this: MAD props for using Paint. I would not have had the patience. I read your description and you had some interesting concepts in there. I think it might have helped your case if you included additional drawings with your attachments (switchblade and monocle) activated. If I'm reading your description of it right, the monocle acts in a similar way to the scouters on Dragonball Z, no? Definitely an original concept in the Metroid 'verse and one I would enjoy seeing how you flesh it out. Keep up the good work!

Peace
Raid

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 12.30.11 3:59pm

I didn't have the monocle on because it's supposed to be transparent and I can't achieve that with paint.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 12.30.11 5:37pm

There's that problem of asserting Samus's femininity, but also making do with the awesome power suit. Zero Suit serves that function quite nicely...
This probably isn't the right thread for this, but I gotta disagree here. What I don't like about the zero suit is that it makes Samus look like her own sidekick.
Another thing I liked about the designs is it really shows what makes Samus such an iconic character. If you remove certain things like her gun arm or change her helmet significantly, you're no longer looking at Samus. The helmet is as much her face as her real face...Make her suit green, and it looks too much like Master Chief. So there's a lot about the suit you can change and have it still be Samus, but there are a few things that you can change and it will no longer feel like Samus. That's my observation.
You can say this about every character ever :)

But yeah, I agree about the helmet and arm cannon. Change the helmet too much and she turns into Master Chief. Get rid of the arm cannon and she suddenly becomes Iron Man. These two are the most important parts, and they have to be recognizable.

Everything else can go through all sorts of changes. After all, Samus gets a redesign in every game and some of them ( :darksuit: :lightsuit: :fusion: ) are pretty out there.
Okey (I'm assuming you're Victor, congratulations btw) -- I got a very "VR Trooper" feel from your helmet. (see this if you don't get the reference) I also like how you incorporated the Chozo symbol instead of the usual "L" shaped light on the chest plate. I thought your design was simplistic without being minimalist. I liked the use of a single abdominal plate instead of a billion individual segments (something I probably would have done if I had thought of it) and for some reason I got a sort of "Iron Man" vibe, possibly from this. Congrats again on taking first place!
Hey thanks :)

Your image doesn't work but I'm going to assume that's a pic from the armored adventures cartoon? Its funny you're reminded of that because I used that suit as reference material...or at least I tried to match those proportions (which is kind of weird because I haven't watched that show).

I used a single torso plate because that's how it looks on the Metroid 1 armor.

metroidhunter7

Mochtroid

Postby metroidhunter7 » 01.04.12 11:34pm

Did anybody like my pirate data armor?
haha

Return to “%s” MDb News