Should There Be a Rating For Users?

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.
Metroids 4 Breakfast

Alpha Metroid

Should There Be a Rating For Users?

Postby Metroids 4 Breakfast » 05.25.13 10:37am

NOTE: I am not an admin, so if people want a rating for users, I can't make that happen nor do I care if there isn't ratings for users. I am just wondering how many people agree with me.

Wouldn't you guys think it would be awesome to be able to rank a user's reputation? Because I do. Like let's say a user posts something awesome and people rank her/him 5 stars. He/she will see that and be motivated to post more awesome posts and that's exactly what people want, awesome posts. That user will also stand as a role model for people that have a low ranking. Plus, people with low ranks will be motivated to try and make themselves a better user. What do you guys think?
"Who needs to write their signature anyways? They already know me."

-Anonymous XD

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Re: Should There Be a Rating For Users?

Postby Emperor Ing » 05.25.13 11:53am

Or it will cause drama as 12-year-olds bitch and moan about why they have low reputation (it would be their shitty posts). At least, that is how the reputation/karma system has worked in every forum I've seen that does use it.

Stars next to a name wouldn't motivate people to post better. Ignoring stupid, unsubstantial and inconsequential posts make people post better.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 05.25.13 12:21pm

I agree with EI. Plus how do you rank people who have been here for years? You implement this kind of system, and everyone starts from zero. And then maybe some less active, but very prominent members aren't posting enough to get the same kind of ranking as maybe a brand new member who posts 25 or more times a day. And then even newer members come in and think that higher ranked new guy is the guy to go to, to depend on, to talk to, and that not as active but prominent member is somehow lesser.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 05.25.13 2:55pm

Making the forums into a judging environment is sure to harm the cohesiveness we're seeing now, not to mention that deep down, it would make people feel insecure and uncomfortable. People should choose their role models by their own preferences from getting to know the person instead of what some points say.

Well, perhaps it depends on how we're geared or how this forums is perceived... Or why we come here for that matter. Personally I feel comfortable here in everyone's presence, that I may not be perfect but that really doesn't matter to anyone, that I can be myself and still feel welcomed. That's a very comfortable feeling and I'm sure that plays a part in me wanting to come back and hear what other people have to say on certain topics of interest without feeling like shame awaits in every corner.

Now that I think about it... There's the idea that this system would get people to make more relevant posts and while I believe that to be true, this is something I think is better suited for a project-oriented forum rather than for a place people with a common interest can come to and talk about common interests.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 05.25.13 3:20pm

We already have a system like this, it's just unofficial. You post well and the regulars recognize you for it. A sort of honor system based on action rather some arbitrary number. We're small and close-knit enough to where we don't need anything to tell us who's worth listening to. Stick around long enough and you find out on your own. Post frequently, don't be a dick and you'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Either that or go by post count. Clearly the higher that number the more important the individual and their accompanying opinions are.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 05.26.13 12:11am

We already have a system like this, it's just unofficial. You post well and the regulars recognize you for it. A sort of honor system based on action rather some arbitrary number. We're small and close-knit enough to where we don't need anything to tell us who's worth listening to. Stick around long enough and you find out on your own. Post frequently, don't be a dick and you'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Either that or go by post count. Clearly the higher that number the more important the individual and their accompanying opinions are.

Basically this. I'm tempted to :ice: since adding a feature like this to the forum will _NEVER, EVER HAPPEN_ but... I guess I'll just leave it open for now 'cuz I'm a pretty nice guy. >_>
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 05.27.13 5:24am

This is most definitely accurate. >_>
I'm a pretty nice guy. >_>
Yeah, nice...

... Joking aside, we really don't need a system like that. We have a reather small number of active users, so it's easy to figure out whose posts you want to read. And in every forum I joined with such system, I always lost motivation to post for being a new user with no past.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Return to “%s” MDb News