Board updates and things that need fixin' [ BOARD ]

For discussing news, updates and other happenings featured on the Metroid Database.
CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Board updates and things that need fixin' [ BOARD ]

Postby CapCom » 05.08.07 2:57pm

We're still fixing bugs and inconsistencies with the board. If you don't think something looks right, let us know and we'll put some effort into fixing it. However, a lot of this stuff can take a LOT of work to get right (which is why it isn't fixed yet...), so don't complain if it's not done five minutes after you put in your request unless you want to dig through hundreds of lines of code yourself.

Things that need fixin:

1. The post background image (cellbg.gif) keeps repeating on posts with more than a dozen lines. This gets REAL annoying. Would prefer to have it only loaded once per post and didn't repeat, but it might have to be deleted.

UPDATE: Issue 'fixed' - I simply changed the size of cellbg to 60 inches in height. If, for some reason, a single post exceeds 60 inches in height, then the image will loop, but hopefully we won't see too many of that length.

2. Post text does not wrap within 40 characters or something decent but instead extends to the end of the page, which is a problem when you're viewing the site at high resolution. However, a lot of other forums have this problem as well, so I don't know if it can be fixed.

UPDATE: This is likely something that can't be fixed. All the other forums I see have this same issue. You'll simply have to change your window size if you want to have an easier time of reading.

3. Some of the buttons are too short. Like 'Add option' in the polls section, for instance.

UPDATE: Issue 'fixed' The problem with this deals with the button code. There are two kinds of 'option' buttons: mainoption and liteoption. Mainoption is the big buttons (like Preview and Submit). Liteoption is the smaller buttons. Since I couldn't locate the code, I just changed liteoption buttons that had this problem to 'mainoption' buttons (so far, just one in the poll section and in the Avatar select gallery).

UPDATE 2: On a related note, this button problem was found in the 'split topic' page and was duly fixed.

4. Umm yeah...you can't go back to the Metroid Database from this forum page. Which REALLY sucks. This should be a priority.

UPDATE: Issue 'fixed' I edited the overall_header.tpl to add a link to the MDb where the text says 'Metroid Database'. It means we lose the cool font color that was there originally, but until we get a logo or something that will link directly, it'll have to do.

EMOTICONS

Do we need special emoticons for Exclamation Point, Question Mark, Lightbulb, and Arrow?

Any other emoticons people are trying to use that don't appear?

ICONS

There's more icons we need, like locked posts, but this isn't critical at the moment.

This isn't counting the buttons below the banner or the ones for editing posts, though some of these might not need to be changed.

Still loading more avatars. Plenty of Super Metroid avatars though, thanks to Infinity's End.
Last edited by CapCom on 05.11.07 11:29am, edited 2 times in total.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Jesse D

Former Staff - Lead Engineer

Also

Postby Jesse D » 05.10.07 2:29pm

Hyperlinks within posts should have some kind of different appearance from the rest of the text. (Like, maybe make them boldface or a different color.) A simple modification to the .css file will fix that. Ask me on AIM if you want me to take a look at that.

Also, and this is just a minor aesthetic thing, but I noticed that below each post is a set of buttons (My Profile, PM, AIM, etc) for the person who made the post. That's fine and all, but due the coloration and the way that posts are separated, it makes it look more like these buttons could be for the user in the next post directly below. So for example, Capcom's buttons look more like they're attached to my post. Perhaps some kind of line or space to separate posts, or even changing the background color of that table row to black would make this less confusing.
-Jesse DImage

Conq

Metroid

Postby Conq » 05.18.07 1:26am

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but it kind of bothers me. When replying to posts, the "Topic review" section below the message box, preview and submit buttons, etc uses a different color scheme. It wouldn't be a big deal, but at least on my end this alternate scheme is black text on a white background, which comes off as very, very bright against the white text, black background of the rest of the forum.

sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Board Errors when updating

Postby sharonlover » 05.19.07 8:42pm

If you try to update something and the board doesn't like what you've updated, there is an error that appears at the top of the page; however, its a white background on white text which unless you have the wonderous white/white vision can't see :P

Anywho...try uploading an oversized avatar and you'll see what I mean ^_^
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

AMetroidGuy

Super Metroid

Postby AMetroidGuy » 06.13.07 2:53pm

On many boards, users can select the number of threads/posts that display per page. Can this be implemented here? If not, why?

MetroidHunter

Alpha Metroid

Postby MetroidHunter » 06.13.07 4:15pm

It's no big deal, but some of the smilies are doubled, such as sad and suprised. :o :(

AMetroidGuy

Super Metroid

Postby AMetroidGuy » 06.14.07 8:49pm

MetroidHunter wrote:It's no big deal, but some of the smilies are doubled, such as sad and suprised. :o :(

Those are not the same. Look closer.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 06.26.07 3:33pm

Hey, are these Metroid ranks below the nick new? I never noticed and I'm already an Alpha...
EDIT: I forgot the D in noticed.
Last edited by Naner on 06.26.07 3:59pm, edited 3 times in total.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 06.26.07 3:35pm

Yep, I JUST added them today. What do you think? The amount of posts to get to next rank is essentially doubled each time.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 06.26.07 3:57pm

OK, so when I have 200, what will I be? I suck at Metroid ranks, I just know Queen is the highest and Omega is second. Man, to get to Queen, how many posts will be necessary?
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 06.26.07 4:02pm

Hint: It doubles every time.
There are many more past the Queen.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

MetroidHunter

Alpha Metroid

Postby MetroidHunter » 06.26.07 6:05pm

Assuming it takes 100 posts to get to alpha, it follows that:

Gamma=300
Zeta=700
Omega=1500
Queen=3100

Good idea on the ranks. I was actually going to suggest them if you didn't put any up by the end of the week.
It's just my opinion.

Does anyone have the old metroidgalaxy avatars, specifically the red and silver Samus symbol?

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 07.04.07 11:34am

Here are the rankings:

Mochtroid - 0
Egg - 10
Hatchling - 25
Metroid - 50
Alpha Metroid - 100
Gamma Metroid - 200
Zeta Metroid - 400
Omega Metroid - 800
Metroid Queen - 1600
???? - 3200

From this point, it doubles each time. What is the next one after Metroid Queen? We'll have to wait until somebody gets there to find out. This was implemented as a fun system, so don't take it too seriously.

Oh yeah, I also split the rest of the discussion on the rankings to a new thread. Hopefully we won't have to do this too often, but I would like to keep this post clean so we can focus on updates.

The split topic is here:

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/fo ... .php?t=127

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Jeff Aran

Zeta Metroid

Postby Jeff Aran » 07.10.07 9:51pm

Guys I really love the board and all the effort and time you guys put into it. I really didn't want to send any requests or suggestions before but now I kinda wondering if....

Some of these ancient topics should be deleted (the ones that no one has responded to in weeks)

And those locked topics.

Thanks guys XOXO Jeff Aran.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 07.10.07 10:00pm

Yeah, I can see why there might be reason to delete some old topics, but these days we have plenty of storage space and the software bumps the latest messages to the top of the stack. You also never know what's going to get deleted or if it might be important a couple months down the road.

Apparently, what's even weirder is when you start deleting posts, the post counts start going down. o_O Gonna have to look into that, but I think it's as simple as how phpbb counts posts.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Return to “%s” MDb News