What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Apothem

Re: What are you playing/what have you purchased?

Postby Apothem » 01.29.17 10:14pm

Pro Tip™ for the auction house: The items the father buys for his daughter can't be won, they're a joke. The only things really worth buying at that point are the magicite on offer. The relics aren't anything special. Check back during the second half of the game for better goodies. Trust me, you'll know when that is.

The "demon thing" you're referring to is most probably Intangir located on the "Triangle Island" to the far northeast of the world map. It's a basic enemy with higher stats than most bosses and is nearly impossible to kill at that point in the game. The only worthwhile reason to fight it is for the 10AP you're awarded per battle, but unless you can easily defeat it then you're better off not bothering. You'll find better sources of AP later on. It was possible to exploit glitches in the SNES and PS1 version of FFVI to trivialize the fight, but on GBA your options are significantly more limited making it mostly a waste of time aside from bragging rights.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 03.05.17 9:50pm

I've been playing the Wii U version of BotW via Loadiine. I've only played a few hours and I'm going to hold off on playing more until spring break (so I don't fuck myself over in classes), but so far my impressions are positive. General thoughts
-English voice acting is 100% garbage, some of the worst I've heard since devs did the voices in their own games
-frame drops are too common for my tastes, but it's not as bad as the Switch version's in that regard
-visually very good looking, easy on the eyes with lots of vibrant colors and attractive art style
-awful load times since I'm loading it from an SD card, but there are some pretty long ones in the retail version as well
-exploration is encouraged by the level design more so than in any open world game from the last 10 years
-overall the best large-scale AAA open world since Morrowind
-actually challenging gameplay that punishes bad play and rewards advanced maneuvers

I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed myself, I was expecting Nintendo to blow it on this one but they've laid a solid foundation for future games.
Hello.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 03.06.17 10:13am

Ok, so maybe it's not a new Nintendo console, but the kids and I have been taking turns playing my old handheld games recently. Both are replacements for ones I had but broke as a kid. Simple but fun, and both are superior to any shooter currently available for the Switch. x_x
Attachments
IMG_20170306_100426.jpg

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 03.06.17 4:18pm

@Khyron I don't much care to play arcade classics at home but if I happen upon them out in the wild I'll spend a pretty penny on'em. I do love me some Galaga / Galaxian.

@Big Guy I strongly disagree about the voice acting. It's not stellar but it's no worse than serviceable. At least there isn't much of it.

Speaking to my experience with the Wii U retail version, I haven't found load times a concern. Some are longer than others but even when fast traveling they never seem egregious. That said, I've also played games via Loadiine as well, and I'd hate to imagine what those load times are like reading from an SD card. A faster card might help but that process is inherently flawed that way. I haven't seen mention of it but I wonder if the Switch carts load significantly faster than Wii U disks in this instance, or how load time differ digitally between systems.

I've also greatly enjoyed the game but one thing I strongly dislike is the weapon system. Every weapon and shield you get - with very rare and specific exceptions - will break with use. There's no proper way to repair them, no weapon crafting system, and I've yet to even find weapons for sale. You're stuck foraging for them or earning them from monsters. At least you can fall back on your infinite supply of magical smartphone bombs, and if you have a horse it can prove a surprisingly useful battering ram, but otherwise you're constantly changing equipment.

I can't stand it. It runs counter to my every sensibility. There's no good reason why equipment can't be repaired, purchased, and crafted. That still offers variety and promotes experimentation, it still offers weapons on the fly through combat, and unique discoveries out in the world all while offering players a means to fall back on for those weapons they really want. Most such games offer players options to tailor their play style. Breath of the Wild tells players to fuck off and nut up. I don't like chewing through my equipment like candy. I want to be able to experiment without worrying that I'll destroy something without knowing if, or when, I'll ever see something else like it again.

All that said, at least it hasn't hindered my enjoyment of the game, aside from playing havoc with my compulsions.

Oh, and also the Amiibo are fuckin' broken as hell. Free materials and potentially unique and incredibly powerful weapons. An unbreakable shield, a super horse, and of course Wolf Link who thus far has proven a one canine army. I suppose I shouldn't be complaining about fragile weapons when between my wolf, horse, and bombs I apparently no longer need them.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 03.06.17 5:55pm

I've actually enjoyed the weapon degradation system because I know if it wasn't there I'd stick with the same broadsword/shield combo through the whole game since it's the most familiar and is easily the safest way to play. If I could repair weapons I'd just keep a fat stack of one handed swords on me at all times, just like every other game with breakable weapons. I would have never found the joy of spears or claymores, or the panic of having your favorite weapon break mid fight and trying to figure out how to beat the cyclops with a club and a torch. As you said, it tells you to fuck off and nut up and I find that refreshing, though it's kind of annoying how you can scale the frozen mountaintops of eastern lands unknown to claim the Skullfucker Blade of the Gods and have it break after 3 fights. I've heard about how it handles the Master Sword and while I don't like it, I can't think of a good solution to the problem in a game with a degradation system. As I said in my first post, it's a solid foundation that can be improved upon.
As for Amiibo, they've been cancer since day one and it does not surprise me that having them more or less breaks the game.
Hello.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 03.06.17 7:15pm

Wait, so is the Master Sword breakable? What good is it, then?

My other question is whether all weapons break at the same rate. I've had little experience with weapon degradation, but I haven't bee too pleased with it. It seems either all weapons break at the same rate - wood or metal or whatever - or they simply break too easily.

Why do they all break, anyway? I mean weapons are meant to be durable. Swords, for instance, shouldn't break if they are well made. They do get dull, however, which can reduce their effectiveness.

I'd rather see more variety in a weapon system like that.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 03.06.17 9:15pm

The Master Sword runs out of power and needs 10 minutes to recharge after a certain amount of hits.
As far as weapons breaking, it does take several fights for a weapon to break (I got attached to a claymore after it got me through 10) unless it explicitly says it's fragile like a rusty sword. Considering weapons would need to be maintained after every battle in real life it makes sense that they're breaking since Link isn't carrying around a whetstone at all times like he should. Basically weapons breaking has been the video game equivalent of blades going dull for decades.
Hello.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 03.06.17 10:01pm

One problem I've noticed is people overusing the Master Sword, using it for things like cutting down trees, breaking ore deposits, and taking on grunt enemies, then not having access to it when it's actually useful. Against basic enemies, the Master Sword isn't much more useful than any decently-powered normal broadsword. It doubles in power around Ganon-style enemies, and I'm not sure, but I think the durability increases as well. That's where it's most useful, and within the narrative, it even makes sense.

This is actually the basic strategy I tend to use for other weapons, as well. Keep at least one or two really common, disposable weapons on you at all times to use against the basic riffraff (and replace them with the weapons you get from said riffraff). Then, when it comes to the big stuff, you'll likely still have a few powerful weapons on-hand to do the job.

And as for the voice acting, I'd agree that it has its healthy share of cringe, but I see it as pretty typical by video game or anime standards. It's not on the level of a well-directed AAA script, which is what it should be, but it's generally passable. And like anything, some of the actors are considerably better than others. Opinion.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 04.03.17 9:20pm

Bioshock. I bought this on a whim over the weekend as it was only $10 at Gamestop. What was the last game that I deliberately played this slowly just to enjoy the environment? FFVII? Prime? Halo? Thus far the gameplay has come second to the visual/audible experience of "being" in Rapture. I vaguely remember an Amazon reviewer drawing comparisons between Bioshock and the philosophies of Ayn Rand. Having read Atlas Shrugged many years ago, the game feels a bit like an extension of that novel. Had Rearden, Taggert and Galt initially succeeded in rebuilding the world after it collapsed, only to see their own construction fail, I think it would look like Rapture. I look forward to seeing whether or not the game explores Rand's philosophy of rational self-interest and objectivism.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 04.04.17 1:04am

Andrew Ryan is a literal stand in for Ayn Rand. The influences are blatant and intentional. You might want to temper expectations, though. BioShock has all the subtlety of a Big Daddy and is about as respectful of objectivism as it is Irish accents. It's far less a sledgehammer to the face than BioShock Infinite was but it's still very much a screed. Didn't detract anything from the experience for me as I have nothing vested in the philosophy, but if that's your bag then the game may well disappoint.

I had good fun with it as well. I actually started with the sequel, and while I find it mechanically superior to its predecessor, the original is a much stronger and compelling narrative experience. The sequel is basically bad fan fiction from a story standpoint, though it at least has a few interesting ideas to bat about. Regardless, Rapture is an immaculately constructed and wonderfully well realized location in both games. I loved the prevalent art deco motif and the ocean floor gave the whole endeavor an eerily alien feel. They were both thoroughly enjoyable experiences in their own right. That ultimately made Infinite all the more disappointing, unfortunately.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 04.04.17 1:04pm

Andrew Ryan is a literal stand in for Ayn Rand. The influences are blatant and intentional. You might want to temper expectations, though. BioShock has all the subtlety of a Big Daddy and is about as respectful of objectivism as it is Irish accents. It's far less a sledgehammer to the face than BioShock Infinite was but it's still very much a screed. Didn't detract anything from the experience for me as I have nothing vested in the philosophy, but if that's your bag then the game may well disappoint.
I'm very interested to see how the story plays itself out. I'll admit to being a fan of Rand and believe that there is merit to much of what she espoused in Atlas
shrugged; though I freely acknowledge that the novel offers a dystopian future that is no more likely than Orwell's or Serling's. The fact that a video game was born out of a political and social philosophy (regardless of the developer's personal beliefs about it) speaks volumes about the depth and breadth of not just this game, but of games as a potential vehicle for cultural influence as a whole.

I've read generally positive reviews of this game's sequel and somewhat mixed ones for the most recent entry. As I don't own an Xbox One the likelihood that I'll progress beyond the second game any time soon is unlikely. Give me another decade. :P

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 04.27.17 8:43pm

Still taking my sweet time working my way through Bioshock.
Andrew Ryan is dead and I'm on my way to get the antidote so that Atlas/Fontaine can't keep sucking my health bar.
Bearing in mind that I have never played a game on the Xbox One or PS4, the visuals, and in particular the audio in this game, are unparalleled. It's not just the voice acting, which is superb, or the period correct music that gets punctuated by what sounds like the whole place buckling in under its own weight, it's the fact that there's so much to listen to. Whether it's the Splicers and their inane laments, or the groans and thuds of the Big Daddys while they lunk and lumber around, I could ask for nothing more from the audibles of this game. In a word, sublime.

Visually, it's simultaneously the most beautiful and most disturbing game I've ever played. I'd venture a guess that this was exactly what the developers were going for. Juxtaposing the stunning art deco architecture with piles of corpses and decay was a brilliant move. I only recently discovered the map and have been having fun backtracking, looking for the ancillary rooms that I've missed. The bathrooms scare me. There, I've said it. >_<

Complaints? Only one. I have no issues with the Vita Chambers as they're typically in pretty convenient spots. My issue is with the fact that everyone you've killed and even all of the damage you do to a Big Daddy or a boss does not, how would you say, get erased if you're killed. In theory then, it's impossible not to beat this game. You can police yourself I suppose, but the challenge of figuring out how to defeat an Elite Bouncer or one of the bosses just isn't there. The upshot, of course, is that I'll get to finish the game regardless of how poorly I play. Hooray for mediocrity.

All in all, a truly immersive experience and I've rarely taken $10 out of my wallet and spent it so well. I'm sure that I'm the last person here who's played Bioshock, but on the off-chance that I'm not... <3 <3 <3

Luke Aran

Gamma Metroid

Postby Luke Aran » 05.05.17 12:11pm

Just picked up Elite Dangerous. I finally managed to slip past the griefers who're sitting in orbit above the planet I started on, did some missions, and upgraded the crap out of my ship. It's really fun so far, and surprisingly deep; I feel like this is what No Man's Sky was probably trying to go for (RIP).
"It is a beautiful thing when two strangers become friends, and a very sad thing indeed when two friends become strangers"~Anonymous

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion