E3

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Apothem

Re: E3

Postby Apothem » 06.15.17 1:38pm

My heart goes out to fans of the game. We Metroid fans know that pain, but Ubisoft are not to be trusted. They revel in holding BG&E2 hostage and until they have both gameplay footage and a firm release date it is no less vaporware now than it has ever been.

With the Switch Nintendo's old bugbear of lacking third-party support could once again rear its ugly head, but it'll be interesting to see how their first-party production fares once they put 3DS to rest and move full steam ahead on Switch proper. They have an excellent upcoming lineup now but that required years of sacrifice. If third-parties don't jump on board by next year, and Nintendo continues their traditional feast-or-famine release schedule, then the Switch will most likely continue Nintendo's historic downward trend in sales. One of the company's biggest criticisms is that it was never able to float a system entirely on its own. Having to split development resources between console and handhelds made that all but impossible. Now that they have a single system to focus on that shouldn't be so much of a problem, but quantity doesn't guarantee quality, and all because Nintendo can make the games doesn't mean they'll sell. The Switch is doing well but the path ahead is still very much uncertain.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.16.17 1:05am

Given that the Switch is selling faster than any Nintendo console in history, I think third parties are going to get on board, but not for all games. Mario + Rabbids was in development for over three years, so Ubisoft is definitely in. Depending on Nintendo's online infrastructure rollout next year, we could see third party competitive multiplayer games like Call of Duty and Overwatch get ported.

The only thing holding the Switch back, really, is that developers are pushing for 4K 60 FPS now with big, open world games. The PS4 and Xbox One were underpowered when they launched, the PS4 Pro brings things to where the generation should've started (it's the only console that can play Tekken 7 at native 1080p), and the Xbox One X is engineered for complete 4K. Meanwhile, the Switch (to my knowledge) is less powerful than the PS4 and the Xbox One, it won't be getting Assassin's Creed or GTA, that's for sure.
The other one that's missing is Smash Bros., but I think the world can do without a new one for another couple of years (Sakurai and his doctors certainly can, at least). I think this is one of Nintendo's best software years in a long time. Actually, one of their best years in terms of general public image, too.
People were hoping for a port of the Wii U game that also combined content from the 3DS version, possibly with a few extra characters, but sadly that won't happen. There'll definitely be another Smash game, but one can only hope it'll retain all of the Wii U's roster. The only characters that game was missing were Ice Climbers, Pichu, Wolf, and Snake (and I guess Squirtle/Ivysaur, and maybe Young Link). But due to character licenses, all the third party characters are liable to be stuck on the Wii U, like Snake in Brawl.

But yeah, Nintendo is killing it. They took everything that damned them back last system (bad marketing, sparse games, and a bad system gimmick) and turned them around (great marketing, tons of games, and a great system gimmick). And not only that, but they hardly had any leaks (a lot of the leaks from the middle of last year were outdated or false), which is awesome, because that means almost everything came as a pleasant surprise.

Imagine if Metroid Prime 4 or Samus Returns got leaked before E3, just so some nobody on Twitter can get their 15 minutes of fame. That would've been terrible.

Not that Nintendo is now flawless or anything. Their chat setup for the Switch is still a nightmare, Color Splash was still an insult to Paper Mario fans, and they're still unable to supply Amiibo to meet demand.
And even the 3DS is going out with a bit of a bang before it's inevitably interred as the end of Nintendo's dedicated handhelds.
Or maybe not.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Postby Will Keaton » 06.18.17 6:46pm

I haven't been able to read the past 53 pages, but are there any smaller, less well-known games that were announced at E3 that interest you? For me I'm very intrigued by The Last Night.
Everyone dies. It is the final and only lasting Justice - Boba Fett

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.19.17 1:18am

A Way Out seems to have an interesting and unique gimmick with its dual simultaneous protagonists, though I question how effective that'll be. It looked incredibly distracting. I'm certain it'll be a hit "streamer" game, if only for a short while until everyone knows everything about it.

TUNIC is basically an indie take on The Legend of Zelda. That's been done before, sure, but we still don't have many games in that classic Zelda style. I like the aesthetic and trailer music but both are about as stereotypically "indie" as you can get. With Zelda proper apparently moving in Breath of the Wild's direction it'll be interesting to see how many more games pick up the classic Zelda mantle in its absence.

GriftLands looks like an interesting western-styled twist on the usual JRPG dynamics. Has a vibrant and well animated hand drawn art style as well. On of those games that promises a wealth of "meaningful" choices. Most games fail to adequately deliver on that promise. One would hope GriftLands is not among them. Really could've used to see more gameplay of this one. Turn-based JRPGs went stale a long time ago. They're gonna have to work hard to freshen that formula up.

Wargroove: Remember Advance Wars? This is basically that by way of Fire Emblem. FE never clicked with me but Advance Wars did in a big way back when the GBA was still relevant. With Nintendo having abandoned Advance Wars it's nice to see someone else pick up that mantle and move it forward. This one's being published by Chuckle Fish who haven't personally developed much beyond Starbound but have published several excellent titles like Stardew Valley and Risk of Rain. It should be in good hands.

While not a small title, per se, Starlink: Battle of Atlas very briefly had my interest until it turned into No Man's Skylanders. A tired joke by now, yes, but easily the most apt way of describing the game.

Undertale's coming to PS4 and Vita. Physically, even. While a few years on now more people playing Undertale is never a bad thing. That collector's edition looks especially slick. I want me that locket.

Shadow of the Colossus is getting a full on remake on PS4. Yes, I'm counting this one as a "small" game as it's from a "small" studio that's done hardly fuck all for nearly twenty years and has never had much of a budget to work with. While I personally find the remake superfluous I'll gladly take another excuse to play through SotC again.

And that's what all I got. All told not a bad lot to look forward to.

As for the 3DS I'm not surprised Nintendo isn't yet publicly committed to putting the system to rest, but if Switch sales keep up and that new "announced" Pokemon game for Switch is indeed a mainline title then the 3DS' days are numbered sooner rather than later. Nintendo doesn't want to kill interest in their handheld yet. They've got a new iteration and software on the way and they'll want to capitalize on that as much as possible while they still can.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 06.19.17 4:33am

Shadow of the Colossus is getting a full on remake on PS4. Yes, I'm counting this one as a "small" game as it's from a "small" studio that's done hardly fuck all for nearly twenty years and has never had much of a budget to work with. While I personally find the remake superfluous I'll gladly take another excuse to play through SotC again.
First off, who's doing the remake? 'Cause Team Ico just put out Last Guardian last year, finally. Also, what makes it a remake and not just a graphic overhaul?
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.19.17 5:23am

Bluepoint Games, a small studio that has done mostly collections and the occasional remaster, along with a handful of co-development projects with other studios. They also produced the original Team ICO Collection on PS3. So far I don't believe anything more is known about the supposed remake beyond what was shown in the trailer. It could well be little more than a graphical overhaul. I would also imagine a remastering of the original score as well. The audio quality on the PS2 was never the best. If they produce a new soundtrack for the remake, like how Square Enix did for the Final Fantasy X & XII remasters, then hopefully they'll have the option for the original as well. It was a big part of what made the original game so special. If they modernized the control scheme while they're at it that'd be even better.

Funnily enough, while I originally called it superfluous, the more I think about it the more I realize the original game really hasn't aged terribly well. There's a lot that could be done to touch it up and improve upon it. Hopefully that's what this is and not just a $60 coat of new paint.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.19.17 7:11am

Undertale's coming to PS4 and Vita. Physically, even. While a few years on now more people playing Undertale is never a bad thing. That collector's edition looks especially slick. I want me that locket.

And that's what all I got. All told not a bad lot to look forward to.

As for the 3DS I'm not surprised Nintendo isn't yet publicly committed to putting the system to rest, but if Switch sales keep up and that new "announced" Pokemon game for Switch is indeed a mainline title then the 3DS' days are numbered sooner rather than later. Nintendo doesn't want to kill interest in their handheld yet. They've got a new iteration and software on the way and they'll want to capitalize on that as much as possible while they still can.
I don't know why it took two years for Undertale to get ported to something other than PC. Unfortunately, Undertale was a flame that burned twice as bright but half as long, and after 2015 it fizzled out. There's little replay value or anything else to really keep itself afloat after one or two playthroughs, so it's now only kept alive by a small, dedicated fanbase, which tends to overlap with Gravity Falls and Steven Universe (I call these three fanbases "the holy trinity"; if you find someone that's a fan of one of these things, they're more likely than not a fan of the other two). It had it's three or so months of fame, and then the wind just left the sails.

Not porting it sooner is really a huge lost opportunity. The game was made in GameMaker, so porting options are limited, but after how much money was made on the original, I think a port could've easily been outsourced. Hell, my friend found an unofficial version of the game on ANDROID for crying out loud, so it can be done. If the game was ported to mobile devices sooner, I'm certain it would've sold 2 or 3 times as much as it did on PC, easily. There's also little official merchandise as well.

Alternatively, Five Nights at Freddy's is the extreme opposite. Sequels came out very soon after the success of the first, and last month I saw a whole SECTION of merchandise at Toys R Us. I think that's going too far, and I'd rather have Undertale be undersaturated than oversaturated like that, so things could be worse I suppose. I think its popularity as it is kind of harms people's ability to really analyze the game and see every bit of cleverness it has to offer, reducing the game and its characters to a memetic status that's all most people see.

The Collector's Edition is awesome, though. If I could, I'd purchase it just for the locket and extras, then resell the game.

I didn't realize that Shadow of the Colossus was a remake. I thought it was a sequel, which had me aggressively rolling my eyes at the prospect of there being both God of War and Shadow of the Colossus sequels with those exact titles (along with Spider-Man, which is the third game to have that title). But the fact that it's a remake is pretty cool, and I might actually pick it up. The original PS2 game came up a LOT in X-Play for some reason, so it always looked cool, but I never had much desire to play it. A fancy remake has me somewhat invested.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.19.17 3:13pm

Funny thing is, depending on who you ask, ICO is often considered the sequel to Shadow of the Colossus despite releasing before it. That's basically a crazy fan theory based on the most minuscule and vague of connections but it's helped fuel the idea that all Team ICO games are somehow connected. I dunno if the developers themselves have ever officially commented on that one way or another. Realistically you couldn't make a direct sequel to SotC without either retconning and / or diminishing aspects of the original.

Sure, it'd be fun to fight new and inventively designed colossi, but at that point they'd just be rehashing the original rather than meaningfully expanding upon it. It's one of those experiences that's perfectly summed up in singularity, though it would be nice to see other games learn from it. With its climbing mechanics Breath of the Wild could've done wonders with it, and it sort of attempted to affect SotC in style, vaguely, with the Divine Beasts, but never took things far enough. I can't think of another game that's come anywhere near close and succeeded.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 06.19.17 5:06pm

Funny thing is, depending on who you ask, ICO is often considered the sequel to Shadow of the Colossus despite releasing before it. That's basically a crazy fan theory based on the most minuscule and vague of connections but it's helped fuel the idea that all Team ICO games are somehow connected.
Are you suggesting otherwise?
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.19.17 5:25pm

Unless that's been officiated somewhere then I'd say anything more than a very generalized connection between the two would be a mighty leap in logic. I can believe they both take place somewhere in the same world. I find it more difficult to believe the child at the end of one is the same at the beginning of the other.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 06.19.17 7:32pm

Good evening, all! Didn't see that this was mentioned by anyone else so here you go. Personally, the 9 year old kid in me really likes the idea of being able to buy a new Atari console, especially in wood grain. z:D A brief search of YouTube leads me to believe that little is actually known about the system yet. Atari says that it's based on a PC, but a Commodore 64 was a personal computer too. Personally I liked the concept, if not the execution, of the Ouya and would love for indie developers to have a solid platform for their work. Hopefully we'll have more official news soon. In the interim, call me intrigued.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 06.19.17 8:06pm

BG&E2 isn't even a sequel to the original and doesn't look like it will have any of the original's characters. Honestly what is even the point? They're probably going to throw out everything from the first game calling it "outdated" in favor of making another Ubisoft Tower Climber, a structure they've been using for 10 years. Just let it die.
Hello.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion