Shadow Complex

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Shadow Complex

Postby CapCom » 06.01.09 7:19pm

XBox users out there might be interested in Shadow Complex, which is described as a 2.5D 'Metroidvania'. From what I saw in the trailer, it looks less like Metroid and more like Contra or Ghost in the Shell. The game still looks interesting, but I don't think it's the Metroid fix we need. In terms of design, it looks closer to Abuse, which was basically a 2D version of Doom or Marathon. Which isn't to say Abuse isn't worth checking out - it's got 360 degree aiming using the mouse and some interesting puzzles and plenty of bugs to blast (not to mention flame throwers!). As for Shadow Complex, anything that's got Orson Scott Card on it is immediately intriguing (despite the fact that Advent Children blew magnificently). But it does show continued interest in 2.5D action. Also, the game was built in the Unreal Tournament 3 engine, of which there is an open 2.5D engine you can play with (it's something I'm looking forward to messing with this summer!).
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Ph@zon Korrupt!on

Gamma Metroid

Re: Shadow Complex

Postby Ph@zon Korrupt!on » 06.01.09 9:14pm

Kinda looks like bionic commando rearmed, huh. Could be fun.

Samethard

Zeta Metroid

Postby Samethard » 06.01.09 9:27pm

Hell yeah! We finally get a Controid game. I will be keeping my targets sighted on this.

Abodos

Gamma Metroid

Postby Abodos » 06.13.09 3:19pm

Samethard wrote:Hell yeah! We finally get a Controid game. I will be keeping my targets sighted on this.

"Controid," that's a neat term!! Another portmanteau word to join "Metroidvania (Symphony of the Night)" and "Ninjatroid (Metroid: Other M, though it probably won't be that similar to Ninja Gaiden)" as a term describing mix-and-match gameplay design.

One thing about Shadow Complex: can you aim at enemies in the background? That was something I didn't quite see in the videos I have watched.
You know those classical pieces that you always hear in cartoons but you don't know the names of? See if you can find a few here.

Samethard

Zeta Metroid

Postby Samethard » 07.17.09 4:05pm

Is there any chance that this game might hit PC? IGN has a page for it but that is the only evidence that I have seen of it. I am not sure it is worth getting an X-box 360 simply for this one game. Though, it would make the 5 days before the release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy much less agonizing.

CptTuke

Alpha Metroid

Postby CptTuke » 07.18.09 1:12am

I just read this article on Kotaku about the game, got pretty excited about it, and came here to see if there was a thread about it :P I hadn't actually heard about the game until just now, and I think it's looking pretty good. I'll definitely grab the demo of it when it's ready, and pass final judgement then. This might be the game I've been waiting for. I really haven't been into modern gaming lately, and have been waiting for something to really peak my interests. Bionic Commando Rearmed was the last thing to really catch my eye, and was the last game I actually purchased until Battlefield 1943 came out last week. There's just something about "retro" development ideals that seems to make games I can enjoy to a greater degree.

I still need to get around to finishing Corruption though, and still haven't actually started Echos. But I've had a huge urge to replay Super Metroid again lately. That's kind of increased since reading about Shadow Complex though :P I think I better go do that soon.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 07.21.09 2:18pm

I am not sure it is worth getting an X-box 360 simply for this one game.

Honestly, I don't think a 360 is worth it anymore. Most of the games worth playing are on another system or the PC, and most XBLA titles are going that route as well - not to mention that PS3 exclusives are better than 360 ones (MGS4, Ico 3). Halo sucks and so does Gears; any other FPS plays 10x better on the PC. There are some exceptions, of course (like Fable II and Dead Rising - though now a DR sequel is announced for Wii - and I'm pretty sure Lost Planet plays better on the 360, but it's not like that was a stellar title, even if it did move a million copies). The 360 to me really just feels like a holdover for the PS3. Braid is on PC now. Now if only they would port Castle Crashers...

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Postby Will Keaton » 07.21.09 4:04pm

Just watched the trailer. It looks like Bionic Commando and Metal Gear had a baby.
Everyone dies. It is the final and only lasting Justice - Boba Fett

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 07.23.09 11:59am

Correction: Castle Crashers is now coming to PSN. 360 just keeps getting lonelier...

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

CptTuke

Alpha Metroid

Postby CptTuke » 07.27.09 12:01am

Found a couple new (to me, anyway) Shadow Complex gameplay videos while I was at work today (was totally working, I swear!) The first is about combat, and outlines different types of combat, and weapon upgrades and powerups. The second video, and IMO the more interesting of the two, is about mobility, and demonstrates all sorts of movement and mobility techniques, and powerups. Both videos also demonstrate some of the level design, some story elements, as well as show off some of its gorgeous assets.

I also found a video from Attack of the Show (Which I honestly don't care for anymore, I liked it a lot more when it was the Screensavers) where Kevin and Olivia have an interview with the developers. They discuss gameplay, inspiration, level design, and a few other cool things. They go a bit more in depth about the game than most of the articles I've read about it so far.

Overall I find myself really looking forward to Shadow Complex, the only thing I'm not too excited about is playing it with the Xbox 360's controller. I WISH it had a proper d-pad. Too bad that green controller with the enhanced d-pad is exclusive to Europe and limited edition.

While looking for these vidoes on YouTube to share in thie post, I also stumbled upon this walkthrough video with one of the developers. Seems to go through the first 12 minutes of gameplay in two parts, so be warned if you don't want to see the early bits of the game. It really excites me though.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 08.06.09 12:30am

Here's a nice little article on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5325016/how-shadow-co ... ooked-back
Basically talks about how much they were inspired by Metroid more than anything else.
You can REALLY tell. The map, located in the upper-right corner-- EXACTLY like Super Metroid's.
And if you watch that G4 vid CptTuke posted, they talk about how you start off w/all your abilities and then you lose them all! Hmm... where have I seen THAT before... >_>

The only problem I have with this game so far is the main character. He seems extremely... plain and boring. Nothing special about him. Just seems like a completely average person with no special qualities whatsoever. But maybe that's their point? :-?

Can't wait for this game. 2.5D Metroid-style adventure. Watch that vid, it's WELL worth it. And you might want to turn off the sound because I certainly can't stand to hear those G4 idiots talk.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Outlaw

Anonymous

Postby Outlaw » 08.06.09 12:54am

That map at the top right looks like a complete rip from the Super Metroid map.

This looks interesting, but too much Metroidy.

I am guessing IE you aren't a fan of G4?

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 08.06.09 9:12am

Nope. G4 is everything I hate about gaming going mainstream. And I especially hate Kevin Pereira. He's like a nerd that hates nerds.
I also hate Adam Sessler, but he isn't NEARLY as bad as Kevin.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Outlaw

Anonymous

Postby Outlaw » 08.06.09 11:27am

I don't watch AOTS. So I don't know much about Kevin. But I like Adam and Morgan. I barely watch G4 though. Used to watch it a lot but not anymore.

Abodos

Gamma Metroid

Postby Abodos » 08.07.09 3:33am

Yeah, I only watch G4 when E3 comes to town, because they have live coverage of the show without having to deal with crappy internet speed. Otherwise, I avoid that channel like I avoid Uwe Boll movies. Only about one-third of the G4 shows are actually related to video games; the rest are shows that are either already popular elsewhere when shown in syndication (i.e. Cops, Star Trek), or some stupid and decidedly non-video game related crap like Ninja Warrior and the "International Sexy Ladies' Club" (I did not just make that up: G4 seriously thinks most gamers would actually enjoy perverted garbage like that).
Infinity's End wrote:And if you watch that G4 vid CptTuke posted, they talk about how you start off w/all your abilities and then you lose them all! Hmm... where have I seen THAT before... >_>

Why? It made sense with the later Metroid games, because Samus started off fresh with no upgrades for no previously explained reason. But this is a completely new franchise with no previously established "trademark" upgrades. They should have saved that for the sequel.
You know those classical pieces that you always hear in cartoons but you don't know the names of? See if you can find a few here.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion