Mega Mega Man Thread

Man cannot live on Metroid alone. Talk up your other favorite games and consoles here!
Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Re: Mega Mega Man Thread

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.21.16 10:19am

Mighty No. 9's review embargo was lifted... and no one is impressed. IGN gave it a 5.6 out of 10, compared to Shovel Knight's 9/10. The graphics are terrible, the performance is terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the gameplay is mediocre at best, and the final boss is bullet sponge that took this guy over 12 minutes of monotonous button mashing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCIrHWzXoE

It doesn't even improve on the classic Mega Man formula at all. One quote from the IGN interview struck me as applicable to all classic Mega Man games (or at least the three I've played so far): "After all, while the idea of stealing bosses abilities isn't as ground-breaking today as it was in the 80s, it's still a pretty enjoyable concept, but sadly, none of them feel all that fun to use. Absorbing and using these powers should feel exciting, like turning on a cheat code that grants powers you shouldn’t have, but most of them wind up being borderline useless, and the level design rarely provides a context in which they can be truly useful." This is true of classic games, where only the infamous Metal Blade and its weaker cousin Shadow Blade were really practical at all compared to the default Mega Buster.

For all intents and purposes, this game is dead on arrival. Any hope of non-backer sales bringing in sizable revenue is gone. The court of public opinion has not been kind to this game, for good reasons. Curious to hear about those movie and television deals now. There's no way they're not going to fall through the floor.

But Keiji Inafune insists that though the game isn't perfect, it's at least "better than nothing."

Also, the Xbox 360, Mac, and Linux versions have been delayed last minute. I'm not making this up. The Wii U version also appears to also have technical difficulties.

THIS IS A 2D PLATFORMER. HOW DO YOU HAVE PERFORMANCE AND TECHNICAL ISSUES.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.21.16 10:54am

You'd be surprised. Terraria is a 2D side-scrolling action-platformer with a relatively simplistic 16-bit aesthetic. It's basically 2D fantasy Minecraft. It runs great and isn't at all demanding, as one would expect from such a game. Starbound is functionally identical to Terraria, but in space, and it's run like shit for the +3 years it's been on the market. You wouldn't expect a 2D sprite platformer to chug on modern computers, or lag in singleplayer but it manages both spectacularly. Granted, Starbound is exponentially bigger than Terraria, featuring thousands of procedurally generated planets, enemies, and NPCs, and more complex mechanically - and slightly so graphically - yet regardless the game is never too much more than Terraria at any given time and it still manages to run like ass. It boggles the mind, especially since the developer has, to my knowledge, never explained why the game runs so poorly for so many people.

Point is, no, these sorts of games shouldn't run so poorly, but we really ought not be surprised when they do considering the slapdash state so many games are released in these days.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.21.16 3:21pm

Well there's a difference between open-world Terraria/Starbound and linear Mighty No. 9. With the latter, there's far less variables and everything is very contained. If there's an issue, identifying and fixing it should be much easier. And Starbound is still in development with a smaller group of people and budget than the largest Kickstarter game ever with its own publisher. If you want an apt comparison, look to other similar platformers. Shovel Knight is one.

Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvXLMD4SSU

I expect giant open-world games with enormous detail to have problems. It's understandable given the scope of the project that a lot can slip through the cracks. Even on smaller, more contained games, it shouldn't be a surprise if there's one or two problems. But this is on par with Aliens: Colonial Marines in terms of quality. Even if the graphics and performance were terrible, perhaps we could at least say the gameplay is great. Or, if the gameplay was bad, maybe we could still note the good graphics. But there's neither of those here.

Now someone who I assume hadn't been keeping up with Mighty No. 9 news very well drew this heartbreaking comic and posted it yesterday:
Apparently he deleted it soon afterwards, presumably when he either got his hands on it or saw others' words and footage.

Also some people are having issues even receiving their codes for the game: http://blackbookalpha.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -9-release

This really is the modern day E.T. Not on a business scale--there's little financial peril for anyone here--but on a "this incredibly spotlighted game is crap and no one likes it" scale.

Oh well. I just beat Mega Man 3 this morning while waiting for Umbrella Corps to come out of the digital door. Dipped my foot into Mega Man 4 right afterwards, and immediately noticed an improvement in performance that was welcomes. The previous games ran like trash sometimes, but this one is much smoother. The Mega Buster is also very fun to use with the charge shot. Hopefully the boss weapons will be good enough to warrant their use beyond boss fights.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.21.16 11:35pm

I wasn't attempting to compare either Terraria or Starbound to MN9, just pointing out how simplistic games can still have unexpectedly significant problems. As for Starbound, Early Access or no, the team has expanded, consolidated, and had more than 3 years to iron out basic, fundamental performance issues and done little to address them. This isn't complaining about content - which is a whole other issue - it's about addressing the core performance of a product. I can tolerate a slow trickle of content over time for an Early Access title but after 3 years I at least expect it to run properly, especially something so simplistic which is operating on already proven concepts. Chuckle Fish really isn't breaking new ground here.

Also: Dust: An Elysian Tail was a superlative action platformer I would heartily recommend to anyone even remotely interested in the genre, assuming Disney-esq "furry" characters don't put you off. Exceptionally insulting to MN9 not only for its comparatively microscopic budget but the fact that, save for the voice acting and music, the entire game was developed by a single person. If anything MN9 is going down in history as an indie fuck-up of AAA proportions, and that's just sad...

Also Also: Where the hell is Dust 2!?

Additionally, that picture's old, by internet standards anyway. It was made way back when the Kickstarter was still running in commemoration of its initial success. The original artist, shwlg, deleted it from their blog in disillusionment. At the time it was a poignant image. Now it's just another painful memory of a long gone and beloved franchise...

Mega Man 4's good, though. Don't get your hopes up about boss weapons much, as with the inclusion of the Mega Buster charge mechanic it renders most anything else highly situational. Charged shots will tear through all but the most resilient of enemies and often prove easier to use - and thus more effective - than many proper boss weaknesses. That's basically the paradigm all future Mega Man & X games would use.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.22.16 12:33am

Anyone who payed attention when the Dina Controversy first hit saw this coming a mile away. The controversy itself meant little in the long run and was inconsequential, especially for the game's actual development, but it showed pretty clearly a severe lack of management in how it was handled that I suspect was present in higher ranks. When I first saw that unfold, I knew something was off and I couldn't fully put any trust in the project.

I'm hearing reports that this game has even bricked Wii U's, other reports just hard resets. others still can't even get the game that was promised to them. The damage controlling is off the charts and I am giddy to see if they will still try to push forward this franchise that seems to be dead on arrival.

I feel really bad for Megaman fans, they got screwed not only by Capcom but by Inafune as well as he played with their heart strings and as far as I'm concerned took advantage of them. But at the same time, the Trainwreck was fun to watch. The entire saga that was Mighty no. 9, from high hopes to despair, is something I won't forget. It was truly a sight to behold to witness in real time how vastly things changed.

In my opinion, Mighty No.9's reception, even if it turned out to be mediocre/terrible, would have been far better and not as nearly panned everywhere if it wasn't Inafune jumping the gun with all those crowd fundings and merchandising before the game's release and the multiple delays. The criticism and mocking would still be there, but I feel not nearly as harsh. The crowd fundings for projects, like an anime or other games, really killed any good will this game had with the general gaming audience. Now everyone and their mother is ripping this game a new one. This is the future they chose I suppose.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

CrazyMissilesSamus

Mochtroid

Postby CrazyMissilesSamus » 09.02.16 4:56pm

Ah yes, Mega Man, a classic gaming series that, unfortunately hasn't had new games for a while.
I remember how much I used to play the 6 NES games back in junior high school. Though they are really fun and memorable, they were pretty frustratingly hard for me back then. It's one of the few game series that has actually pissed me off so much that I sometimes threw my controller to the floor, especially in the last levels of each game.
And yet, I still continued to play, I didn't want to give up, I was in the last stages of each game. I came too far to give up. So I went on and was actually able to beat each of the 6 NES Mega Man games.
It's one of the hardest games I've beaten after the Castlevania trilogy for the NES.
Still, I love those games, they give me nostalgia overload.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.14.17 11:59pm

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/level-5-acqu ... -5-comcept

LEVEL-5 Acquired Comcept apparently, Rebranded it to LEVEL-5 COMCEPT
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.15.17 12:53pm

It's become readily apparent that Inafune can't be trusted on his own. His underdog story at Capcom now reads more like logical constraint than unreasonable restriction. It's possible that merging with another studio, and one so acclaimed as Level-5, will help keep Inafune and Comcept on their rails. I'm not especially interested in it but I'd still like to see Red Ash come to fruition, and hopefully Level-5 can help bump that quality up if the project is even still in development. This whole fiasco should also serves as ample warning that just because these creatives are now free doesn't mean they're competent. Everyone has high hopes for Hideo Kojima and Death Stranding but now that crazy bastard is off his leash literally anything is possible. He's also a notorious troll, so I'd naturally expect his future games to intentionally fuck with people. Point being be careful with your money, folks.

Return to “%s” General Videogame Discussion